Sat, Sep 21, 5:57 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 3:32 pm)

Subject: A newbie question about importing models

suzack ( ) posted Wed, 07 November 2001 at 9:21 AM ยท edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 6:41 AM

Whenever I import a 3DS model I get for free from the internet, I can not figure out how to manipulate the limbs individually. It treats the object as one big object. In wireframe mode, it looks like a rectangle (or square) Can I seperate the individual parts and the manipulate them like I do the objects that come with Poser? Thank you.

Valandar ( ) posted Wed, 07 November 2001 at 9:30 AM

A 3DS model is not set up for poser. When you just import an object, it is a single solid object. To make it posable involves a lot of work, in splitting off the individual joints, either boning or making a Phi file for it, and adjusting joint parameters. It is in no was as simple as just importing it and -go-.

Remember, kids! Napalm is Nature's Toothpaste!

suzack ( ) posted Wed, 07 November 2001 at 9:41 AM

Thank you. Is there a 3D model that can be used directly by Poser? If not, do you know of a tutorial that will walk me through the steps you mentioned in your reply? Thank you!

Valandar ( ) posted Wed, 07 November 2001 at 10:15 AM

The only ones that can be used as posable models directly by Poser are ones specifically stated as being Poser "Characters" or "Poable props", and such. I'd reccomend looking on here, in the Freestuff, under "Character", or in similar places on similar sites, like the 3D Commune (although almost everything there is here too...)

Remember, kids! Napalm is Nature's Toothpaste!

PhilC ( ) posted Wed, 07 November 2001 at 10:31 AM

Hi suzack,

The process is indeed complex but if correctly undertaken, very doable. It is outlined in the manual, the pertinent steps are:-

• Convert your model to OBJ format and split into groups, legs arms etc. Use either your 3D application or the Poser grouping tool. (Your model may already be grouped).
  • Write a hierarchy file ... again best see the manual page 308
  • Bring the model into Poser using File/convert hier file
  • Adjust the jointing and save to the library

I appreciate that this is only an outline but I hope it points you in the right direction.

philc_agatha_white_on_black.jpg

dave3 ( ) posted Wed, 07 November 2001 at 12:49 PM

If you have poser 4, you don't need to write a hierarchy file -- use the hierachy editor in the program. If the parts to your figure are named with the standard names, the editor will automatically organize them for you. The manual explains all this, but sometimes can be a little obtuse. (Both the grouping tools and the joint editor drew forth much colorful language from me at first, but now I'm starting to get the hang of it.) Just keep at it and don't give up. Also, try looking at some of the tutorials available on this site. They might give you further insights, or say things in a way that make it easier for you to understand.

suzack ( ) posted Wed, 07 November 2001 at 2:31 PM

Thanks!

suzack ( ) posted Thu, 08 November 2001 at 6:01 AM

To Sam, will your tutorial work on a 3DS file? To all, I figured out how to group the componets of my 3DS file. It seemd like the only way I can see the groups is to choose "Spawn Props". SHould I be doing that? In general, what steps do I take after I group the items? How do I get them to start working like limbs with bones? Thank you!

PhilC ( ) posted Thu, 08 November 2001 at 6:56 AM

Yes that is one route to go. Once done delete the original model, go to the hierarchy window and arrange them in the correct child/parent order. Next click on "Create New Figure". The final step will be setting up the joint parameters.

philc_agatha_white_on_black.jpg

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.