Thu, Oct 10, 6:20 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 09 12:13 pm)

Subject: its probably simple I hope...

malmohuset ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2001 at 11:17 AM ยท edited Thu, 10 October 2024 at 6:19 AM

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to combine a character and all their clothes into one single figure, just like the defaults in Poser. I have a real problem with clothing everytime I change my characters pose... I saw a tutorial somewhere but the link was dead.. I hope someonme can help me... thanks!

thgeisel ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2001 at 11:24 AM

normally the clothes move with the figure when posing.what you have to do is to parent the clothes to the figure. select the cloth , go to "figure" "parent figure" and select the figure that should be the parent,

malmohuset ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2001 at 11:29 AM

thankyou!! but what I really want is so that after applying all the clothes, I can combine them so I have only one figure, rather than say 5 or six.. is that possible?

VirtualSite ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2001 at 11:50 AM

Yes. Save it to the library, and youll have the option of just the figure or the entire group. I believe you can also just save it as a Poser document that way.

welcomesite ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2001 at 2:02 PM

I've been using the "conform to" command Still trying to figure out how to make the clothes fit when I give the figure a pot belly. The individual 'parts' scaling doesn't seem to go far enough.

bloodsong ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2001 at 5:26 PM

heyas; i believe you're thinking of philc's tutorial for poser 3, where you use compose to make all the clothing and the figure into one mesh. is that what you mean? like the business people or casual people? or do you just want to put the conforming clothes on, then save the figure with its clothes, to the library? then when you take it out of the library, it will still have clothes (and props and hair), but they will still be separate, conforming figures? to save conforming clothes on the figure, make sure you conform the clothes to the figure, and also parent them to the figure. then save the base figure (the one everything is parented to) to the library. if you want to merge the clothing and figure into one figure, that'll take some more work, but it isn't very hard. let me know, otherwise i wont spend a lot of time typing it ;)

malmohuset ( ) posted Tue, 13 November 2001 at 2:32 AM

hi, unfortunately I think it is your second option, merging all the clothes and figure into one figure.. if you do get a chance to let me know I would really appreciate it.. or if there is a tutorial somewhere... thanks again!

bloodsong ( ) posted Tue, 13 November 2001 at 4:59 PM

heyas; you can look at www.phic.net, but like i said, i don't think phil has it any more. okay, the quickest and simplest way to do this would be to open your base figure (lets say you're going to create a man in a suit for this example). so load your man, turn off all ik. open the joint editor window (dont worry we're not going to work on joints, we just need the button in the jp window -- if it says 'no body part selected,' just click on any body part). hit the 'zero figure button. now, select the hip, and make sure the x/y/z trans dials are set to 0. do the same with the BODY. next, load your clothing figure(s). you should be able to just conform them to the base figure. make any adjustments in fit that you want. just don't pose the figure in any way. now go through the heirarchy and make the base figure's body parts invisible; the ones that are covered completely in clothing. check and make sure you don't miss them -- if it is 3/4 covered in a sleeve, you might see a gap where the 1/4 of skin sticks out. if so, turn the body part back visible. once that is all checked out, go to export: wavefront object. in the selection part, make sure only the parts that you left visible of the base figure are selected (i think it does this automatically for you; it might not), and the clothing bits are selected -- that should be the whole figure. turn on 'use body part names,' but NOT 'exact internal names except spaces' or 'use figure names.' turn on the 'weld body part seams.' only two things are checked, the rest are off. save your obj in the same directory where the geometry for the base figure is. so if it's the poser 3 guy we used, he goes under newmalenudehi, next to malenudewitheyes.obj (i think that's him ;) ) give it a new name, of course, like nudemalewitheyesandclothes.obj. (well, no, something SHORT!) before you quit poser, open the obj you just saved to double-check that the body part groups came out correctly. the fastest way is to open the obj in uvmapper and hit ctrl-g to select by group. then you will see a list of group names. if you see anything like :1, :2 etc on the names... you'll have to fix that. make sure there's only one of each body part. also double check that the left shoulder is named lShldr, etc. these names need to match the internal cr2 names, not the label names. if they're messed up, try some other poser export options, or edit the file in a txt editor with search and replace... or just select each group in uvmapper and give it a new name. once that's all done, you have a new obj with the person and the clothes merged. now open the base figure's cr2 and replace the two object pointer lines with pointers to your new object. this should be failry simple, you just change the nudemalewitheyes.obj to yourguy.obj, or whatever the names are. note: if your clothing item has extra bits -- ie: if it is a trenchcoat with a left tail and right tail, or has a cape hanging off, etc -- then use the clothing cr2 as the base file. but note that you might have to add body part pointers into it, if it has empty ones. once all that is done (if you're not convinced you dont want to do this by now ;) ), save the cr2 with a new name, and open it in the poser as usual. it should work. your clothing probably has funky colours all over it because these materials are new to the cr2. just adjust them and re-save the figure to the library. note that your figure's head should still take standard morphs for that figure, but morphs for parts that are merged with clothing bits will no longer work.

malmohuset ( ) posted Wed, 14 November 2001 at 2:38 AM

wow! i will definately print this out and have a try... looks like it mike take some playing around so I will let you know how I get on.# But thanks loads for the help,. I really appreciate it :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.