Tue, Oct 8, 10:16 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 08 7:44 pm)

Subject: Off topic, but Santa's reindeer, what sex???

chohole ( ) posted Sun, 18 November 2001 at 10:22 AM Ā· edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 1:15 AM

Quite apart from the biological fact that male reindeer lose their antlers at this time of the year, the conjecture down here is that only females could lead Santa in a wild merry dance across the rooftops and then get him safely home again. So why do reindeer have male names??

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to developĀ  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

guslaw ( ) posted Sun, 18 November 2001 at 10:35 AM

The reindeer that Santa uses are a sub-species of the common reindeer. They not only DO NOT loose their antlers in the winter, but they also can fly and have other magical properties. You just gotta believe! I hope this answers your question.

Cin- ( ) posted Sun, 18 November 2001 at 11:19 AM

I never really thought about it... but I wouldn't think they were all male... if you go by the names... Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitxen... I'd think at least Vixen would be female. And magic reindeer probably don't have the same social hangups as humans do, but I don't think Prancer is a particularly masculine name. :)

melanie ( ) posted Sun, 18 November 2001 at 12:06 PM

Vixen is the name for a female fox, isn't it? This subject has been circulating through an e-mail that's passed through my office recently. I guess if Santa can have elves (and is an elf himself), his reindeer can have antlers. However, the fact that they never have to stop and ask for directions leaves no doubt as to their gender. :) Melanie

igohigh ( ) posted Sun, 18 November 2001 at 12:37 PM

Strange, I just asked old Santa CLAWS himself and he just sneered and gave an evil chuckle then responded "Igohigh, TWO lumps....." My suggestion: Don't Ask!!

guslaw ( ) posted Sun, 18 November 2001 at 12:43 PM

A female fox IS a vixen (and (way off topic) why do we apply animal descriptions like fox or foxy, chick, stud, etc? to humans?). melanie, the reason we don't ask for directions is that it's an inbread guy thing, you know...genetics, we have no control over it and we can't help it. :)

Bug ( ) posted Sun, 18 November 2001 at 1:24 PM

Doesn't matter because with the temperatures we have up here in the artic circle you can't see much of anything on the local reindeer or anything else for that matter (call it the shrivel factor).

chohole ( ) posted Sun, 18 November 2001 at 1:27 PM

But wot about Rudolph, is that why the other reindeer all laughed???

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to developĀ  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

TheDreamWeaver ( ) posted Sun, 18 November 2001 at 3:22 PM

They reason they don't ask for directions is because, of course, they are female - we don't need to ask. ;)

Speaking of which, I had better write my letter to Santa -

Dear Santa,
I can explain.....

guslaw ( ) posted Sun, 18 November 2001 at 3:43 PM

...OK, let me get this straight. The reason you gals don't ask for directions is you know, so you don't need to ask and the reason we guys don't ask for directions is that we THINK we know, so we don't need to ask. The question now is: Given the above assumption and Bug's "shrivel factor", how can you tell which is who? (guys/gals, I mean) (forgive me for this silliness, but I need something to do while I'm babysitting Xurge's Body jewels and freebie D/Ls.)

quesswho ( ) posted Sun, 18 November 2001 at 4:22 PM

If I recall my "Rudolf the Red-nosed Reindeer" puppetoon correctly then Santas reindeer were all male. Marge

xvcoffee ( ) posted Sun, 18 November 2001 at 6:36 PM

Rudolph would be the only male reindeer (and please no more jokes about his funny nose). Female reindeer will not need to ask directions but may often need a longer dipstick, one that reaches the oil.

scifiguy ( ) posted Mon, 19 November 2001 at 12:56 AM

Well that's just silly. They don't ask for directions because they are magical beasts of burden and Santa's doing all the driving. Crack that whip Kringle boy! And they are all male because they all have antlers (I remember my puppetoon's too). What's a doe need with antlers?

hauksdottir ( ) posted Mon, 19 November 2001 at 2:42 AM

Antlers are protection... from wolves, jackals, and male reindeer. Females of many species have horns and antlers. I suspect that the reindeer are a healthy mix of each so that there is a reason for reindeer games and little reindeer in the spring. Carolly

Philodox ( ) posted Mon, 19 November 2001 at 3:02 AM

"A female fox IS a vixen (and (way off topic) why do we apply animal descriptions like fox or foxy, chick, stud, etc? to humans?)." Well, let's go by the fox/foxy one... A fox is a (IMO) very beautiful, intelligent, and resourceful animal, so if I say a woman is "foxy", it's my short way of saying that she has those features...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.