Sat, Sep 21, 9:02 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Lower Falls

SueO ( ) posted Mon, 19 November 2001 at 1:09 PM ยท edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 8:54 AM

file_235493.jpg

Genesee River in Letchworth State Park. 15 demerits to me for not using a tripod, and for not exposing this properly, LOL...next time, I won't screw up. Ha.

Slynky ( ) posted Mon, 19 November 2001 at 1:56 PM

never ever tell someone what went wrong, or at least not right away, otherwise their view of the piece can easily become tainted. I dont think ya screwed up at all.

nplus ( ) posted Mon, 19 November 2001 at 3:01 PM

When shooting landscape, Always use a tripod. Now that you have your location scouted out, you can go back ; )

Slynky ( ) posted Mon, 19 November 2001 at 3:31 PM

all the way back there? that'd take a while wouldn't it?... ;oP

SueO ( ) posted Mon, 19 November 2001 at 5:03 PM

Slynky--Well, when I try to sell it, I'll be quiet about the flaws LOL. Meantime back at the ranch, the flaws are potential talking points, and see here, we're talking already. nplus--I'm definitely going back, and yes I will take the tripod. But the dam dog'll have to carry it, 'cause I'm tired of the thing LOL. Slynky--About 2 hours. One way. Alpha--Hah! Glasses? Young? I'm so confused... pS, Thanks. This one looked good in the viewfinder, and I let the review convince me it was all good...when will I ever learn? STOP DOWN! It's NOT that difficult.

nplus ( ) posted Mon, 19 November 2001 at 6:16 PM

When you go back, you should also try a horizontal shot. Maybe you already have some(if so, post them pleeze I'd like to see). Another thing to try is longer shutter speeds. A shutter speed of 1/2 sec or longer can give that wierd silky blurred motion to the water. Maybe you already knew that since you said your exposure was off. Oh well just some thoughts from a landscape geek.

bsteph2069 ( ) posted Mon, 19 November 2001 at 6:43 PM

Yup purdey. Pretty purdey! How come you easteners get all of the waterfall stuff! Bsteph

SueO ( ) posted Mon, 19 November 2001 at 9:11 PM

file_235495.jpg

nplus--This is the only other shot I have and it is actually two shots stitched together. I did not visualize any landscape shots (unusual for me)and so I didn't shoot any. The exposure in the original post is off in that the highlights are blown, and this is annoying because even one stop faster shutter would have helped with both exposure and sharpness. Veiled water is attractive but I like stop-action too... I was at this point well behind my non-shutterhead hiking companions, and feeling rushed. When I go back I will set up properly with a tripod, take my time, and experiment. Thanks Bsteph!

Misha883 ( ) posted Mon, 19 November 2001 at 10:30 PM

Now that you mention the faults... Don't EVER pass up an image like this because you forgot a tripod. Its beautiful! But you probably do want to go back some day with different equipment and explore. Maybe in the snow. Or rain. Or fog. It will never be the same. If you forget the tripod, find a tree. Or a big rock. If you think its a mistake, fine, learn from it. That's a nice thing about this forum; we can all learn. I'd sure be proud of both of these images. Your composition and sense of delicate light is excellent. Different photographers will interpret the scene in entirely different ways.

SueO ( ) posted Tue, 20 November 2001 at 7:32 AM

Yes I did. Besides the tripod, I ALSO didn't carry the 100 mm or the zoom (a mistake, not a conscious choice), and I wanted this pretty bad, soooo I tried to make it up by patching. I wish I had taken one more at the bottom. If you're looking for the seam by the way, it's horizontal and just about centered. Sue

Maygen ( ) posted Tue, 20 November 2001 at 5:10 PM

I always learn so much in this forum! I like the horizontal one best although I see why you went for the vertical in the first one to get more of the water falls in from your pov. I didnt even see the seam until you pointed it out, so very nice work on that.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.