Sat, Sep 21, 5:56 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 3:32 pm)

Subject: Poser Lighting and Render question!

tedbragg ( ) posted Thu, 06 December 2001 at 10:54 AM ยท edited Thu, 18 July 2024 at 5:04 PM

Poser Lighting and Rendering Question: I've been using Poser 4 for a few years, but I've never been able to get the lighting to do like I see in some of these fantastic renders! I have Bryce 2.0, but no other 3d programs to render the model in. I'm not sure I can even import a Poser model into Bryce 2 anyway! The Pro-Pack box package features a beautifully lit rendering...I've yet to figure out how to get the Poser lights to do this! DId they even USE Poser 4 to get this kind of render? Is it possible by using the Pro-Pack? Does anyone have a tutorial or light-set I could use? What are these guys using for settings, anyway? What colors? I've been trying for YEARS to get this effect, but can't. Poser 4 and Bryce 2 are all I have. I can't afford to buy anything else at this point.

thgeisel ( ) posted Thu, 06 December 2001 at 12:21 PM

As far as I know in propack is nothing new for lights and rendering.I dont know if the images you saw had none,little or much postwork in photoshop or another program. There are some lightpresets at the marketplace that may help you. My own experience is USE THE SPOTLIGHTS.play with the falloff,angel and color and you can get good results. And put the final rendersize to 1000 x1000 with 250dpi and save your image in *.tif not *jpg.if you need *jpg, do it in photoshop or similar

dave3 ( ) posted Thu, 06 December 2001 at 12:45 PM

There are lighting tutorials available, if not here, then through Curious Labs community links. The spotlights are great, but you can even get a good look with the standard lights. Selecting the light (spotlight or regular) and setting the map size to the maximum, (which I believe is 1028 x 1028) will also help. Using texture maps and transparancy maps on your figures can make a huge difference (if you're not already using them.) Also, playing with the highlight strength, size and color can help eliminate that plastic look. And finally, there are a lot of easy things you can do in Photoshop to clean up the image. Play with filters, then FADING the filters; or adjust the contrast, hue, etc. You can really punch up a dull image quickly! Good luck, and just keep trying! The great thing about computer art is that you can make multiple copies and go nuts!

PabloS ( ) posted Thu, 06 December 2001 at 5:28 PM

tedbragg, I agree with thgeisel on the spot lights. I only use one, maybe two, infinite lights for ambient lighting only. The rest are spots. Do you have a reference image we could look at to see what you're trying to accomplish/duplicate? There was a discussion a few weeks back on lighting...might do a search. As I recall, there was some discussion about using DOZENS of lights to achieve certain global illumination effects. (There were also some uploads in freestuff to achieve these.) Good Luck. thgeisel, Unless you're going to print, I don't think a 250 dpi render would yield any better results than 72 dpi since that's generally the top limit of monitor resolution. I've never actually tried rendering at a higher res...is there something I'm missing?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.