Wed, Sep 18, 5:16 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 9:46 am)

Subject: fog... again

audity ( ) posted Sun, 09 December 2001 at 5:28 AM ยท edited Thu, 08 August 2024 at 8:27 AM

file_242986.jpg

a late follow up of my "fog" problem... I finally managed to create the wavering fog I needed. It's not done by adjusting the fog settings in the atmosphere editor, neither by using fuzzy material or a cloud plane. It's simply a serie of volumetric spotlights. Fast and easy !

For those interested the settings are :

Spread : 10
Falloff : 60 %
Power : 70
the spots lights are all parallel to the ground.

to reduce the sharpness select the volumetric light option :
"show dust and smoke in light beam".

To create the effect many of them are necessary. And it works
only with "dark" light exposure and nearly no ambient light.

So this is the result (before / after ). And thanks to Varian
for his wonderful dead tree (the plants and trees available
on your website are amazing !).

Eric

SAMS3D ( ) posted Sun, 09 December 2001 at 5:40 AM

Hey Eric, that looks great. Sharen

Varian ( ) posted Sun, 09 December 2001 at 12:10 PM

Excellent job, Eric! I'm glad you were able to find such a simple solution -- and the effect is terrific! :D

sittingblue ( ) posted Sun, 09 December 2001 at 11:59 PM

The low fog looks really good, and it doesn't smoke the upper atmosphere. Charles

Charles

MightyPete ( ) posted Mon, 10 December 2001 at 3:23 AM

Should add this to the FAQ pages.... Ya the fog looks good.

MikeJ ( ) posted Mon, 10 December 2001 at 5:56 PM

Very clever solution... a bit CPU-intensive, but still about the best fog I think I've seen so far. Thanks for the tip, and I'm gonna have to try this. :)

audity ( ) posted Tue, 11 December 2001 at 9:41 AM

file_242988.jpg

For those interested here's a screen capture of the lightning set-up. Strangely, it's not very CPU-intensive : The rendering time is only 20 % longer. Using volumetric spheres (the other solution) results in much longer rendering time (80 % more).

Eric

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.