Wed, Sep 18, 5:13 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 9:46 am)

Subject: openGL

MeInOhio ( ) posted Thu, 13 December 2001 at 7:11 PM ยท edited Mon, 15 July 2024 at 12:44 PM

I was wondering what openGl is suppose to do. I was having trouble with vue so I turned it off but then I heard that patch 4.03 (Is that the right number? anyway the latest one) fixed a lot of things like openGL, so I thought I'd give it a try. With the option turned on, all the screens look gray like everything is set to a dense mesh. Is that what it's suppose to look like. Or should I be seeing something different? Thanks. Kevin

MikeJ ( ) posted Thu, 13 December 2001 at 9:06 PM

Open GL, as far as I know, defines a certain standard of real time in 3D graphics. It's an open technology used by graphics card manufacturers, in the form of graphics hardware acceleration. I think what it mostly is supposed to do is to make previews look better, faster. It won't affect your actual renders, though since it's more of a "real-time" feature. I think it weas designed for games, more than 3D CG. Anyhow, Vue has a problem dealing with Open GL when used with certain graphics cards. The only thing you can do for now, is to disable the Open GL previews, and then everything should be OK. you'll have to deal with "wireframe" in yourd viewports, but, some of us with no problems, do so anyway. Open GL looks nifty, but it doesn't add enough for the trouble it can cause, IMHO; Even on a system which has no trouble with it, enabling it will still invariably slow the interface. And since it contributes nothing to the final render, I personally believe it's best to do without it, unless you have dual 1.5 ghz cpu's.......

genny ( ) posted Fri, 14 December 2001 at 2:10 AM

I am glad thatMeInOhio asked that question, as I was wondering what it was and if I really needed it for anything? (: I have had to disable it in two computers for my Vue to work, but once that was done, NO PROBLEMS! I don't have a dual 1.5 ghz cpu, but I do have a 1.5 ghz, sony vaio, and it still doesn't like the "GL" thing, even with the patch! BTW, I am not running Vue in two computers now, in case that is illegle or something.......the other one's hard-drive died and I had to buy a new one........Can't live without a computer anymore.......kind of like not having a microwave oven.....WHAT THE HECK DID I DO BEFORE I HAD IT??? genny

gebe ( ) posted Fri, 14 December 2001 at 3:04 AM

file_243748.jpg

Kevin, you can avoid the grey masses in giving to each object a different color. Guitta

sittingblue ( ) posted Fri, 14 December 2001 at 5:07 PM

If you are running a nVidia chipset on your graphics card (ie. TNT & GeForce), you may want to check out their latest video card driver (Detonator 23.11 released Dec 5, 2001). I was having lingering problems with OpenGL, same as you, until I installed their latest driver just a few days ago. Charles

Charles

sittingblue ( ) posted Fri, 14 December 2001 at 5:09 PM

Attached Link: http://www.nvidia.com/

Sorry, I forgot to post the link to nVidia's website in my previous post. Charles

Charles

MeInOhio ( ) posted Fri, 14 December 2001 at 7:16 PM

Thanks. I do have a GeForce 2, I believe, so I'll check out the link. Kevin

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.