Fri, Sep 20, 12:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: Bumpmap Question

ArmoredGideon ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2001 at 12:03 PM ยท edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 10:34 AM

HI Can someone please just give me a quick explanation of how I would go about making a bumpmap with photoshop?

Valandar ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2001 at 12:10 PM

Simple. Make a greyscale image, and use the template of the object you want to make a bump map for as a guide. Areas that are high should be dark colored or even black, areas that are low should be light colored or even white. If it's in between, it's grey. For example: For a vein popping out on the forehead, take an existing bump map for the figure, and on the forehead lightly airbrush a thin, dark, branching line. Make sure it fades into the rest of the bump map, or it will look like a plateau, not a vein. That's the whole theory. White = cracks, deep, black = bumps, high

Remember, kids! Napalm is Nature's Toothpaste!

ArmoredGideon ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2001 at 12:15 PM

WOW! Thanx loads for the help V. :)

rodpanther ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2001 at 12:22 PM

Would making a normal texture greyscale then inversing it, like a negative have the same effect as a bumpmap? God Bless rodpanther

ArmoredGideon ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2001 at 1:09 PM

This is what i've been trying but every time I apply it to my Dress figure it doesn't seem to make any difference?????? ??????????

thgeisel ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2001 at 1:13 PM

Try to increase the contrast on your greyscale image.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2001 at 1:16 PM

Hey there Valandar ... I normally have the opposite. White is light and black is dark. Has always been that way for me in Poser. And ArmoredGideon. Normally the more dreastic the change the more it is noticible. Take a black texture map and just put one bright white line across it and see what it does.

igohigh ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2001 at 3:35 PM

Also sometimes a straight "Inverse" of the greyscale may not put the Light/dark where you actually want it. You can use the Lasso (or wand) to select specific areas and then Invert just 'that' section, or just paint those areas or add highlights. Also mine seem to follow the high=light low=dark path too?

Wizzard ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2001 at 10:23 PM

POser tends to be a tad backwards compaerd to the rest of teh 3d graphics world 8 ) for most programmes teh dark/low light/high is the norm.. but Poser prefers teh opposite. basically the higher the lift you want the lighter the shading... Note: the bump wont make any visible differance until the image is rendered... much like transmaps only showing dots until it's rendered.... then you can mess about with the .bum file and contrast to increase/decrease the lift... Cheers

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2001 at 10:53 PM

Actually it makes more sense for bright to be light to me but hey. Glad Poser does it that way. Easier to figure for me.

Nance ( ) posted Sun, 16 December 2001 at 11:09 PM

file_245710.jpg

Yup, Brighter=Higher (P4 Manual p#247 & just confirmed with test.)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.