Sat, Sep 21, 4:35 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 3:32 pm)

Subject: ..Rude People....

KimberlyC ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2001 at 6:52 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 4:35 PM

ok..its come to my attention...in the poser gallery that their are a few people won't say any names....that are just plain rude...yes the reason behind the being able to comment..is to make a good or "helpful" comment...not a tastless comment....that has nothing to do with the picture...it hasn't happened to me yet...but i do hate to see it happen to other people...because we are all artist..and that isn't a type of artistic comment...is there anything we can do?????

SAMS3D ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2001 at 7:09 PM

Well, I wish there was, and I agree their should be kind comments to all and encouragement, but sometimes some people really want to know exactly what a critique might say, so is looking for really accurate info, but it doesn't have to be insulting. Sharen

KimberlyC ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2001 at 7:11 PM

yea..there is a difference...between...critique...and insulting...

PabloS ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2001 at 7:18 PM

Yup. I've seen it too. I especially get "disappointed" when I see a derogatory comment on someone's image because it doesn't appeal to their tastes. (Hey! They don't have to look!) Perhaps more specific criteria is needed regarding the content of comments. We could also "IM" the person, and in private, explain that their comment was inappropriate and refer them to the criteria.

Irish ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2001 at 7:37 PM

In every walk of life there are going to be people who ruffle feathers...that is how they get their kicks. Believe me, I've had some myself but everyone is entitled to their opinion..good or bad..I don't have to accept what they say and soon you discover that they pretty much do the same commenting with others so I have learned to shrug it off. :) Irene

Cin- ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2001 at 8:39 PM

I know there's been some discussion in the C&D forum before about finding a way that an artist can delete comments that have been made about their own images... I think that's a decent idea, I just don't know how feasible it is.

Moonbow ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2001 at 9:17 PM

I agree that people doing art are sometimes looking for what might make thier work better, but it is cruel to say hurtful things about someone's work. We should be able to just shrug off coments that hurt, we know that, but sometimes it is a terriably hard thing to do. I believe any art is an expression of a person's soul and for someone to ridicule it, that is a terriable thing to do. It would be almost like walking up to a woman holding a new baby and sayin "My GOD! That is the ugliest child born on this earth!!" LOL Well, some people are only able to feel good about themselves if they put someone else down, and I feel sorry for them, they just show how very insecure they feel about themselves. However, that doesn't stop me from wanting to reach out and slap them silly when they have hurt someone with thier thoughtless cracks. Didn't thier mothers ever teach them that if you couldn't say something nice, keep quiet? It is possible to tell a person how to improve something as far as techinique is conserned, without being hurtful. As far as taste is concerned, if they don't go for that kind of thing, they can just move on to the next one. Sorry for the long post, I kinda get rabid about this kind of thing:)

KimberlyC ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2001 at 9:27 PM

i agree with you very much...moonbow..

CryptoPooka ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2001 at 9:52 PM

I dunno, my brain that's read too many spy thrillers sees a pattern here. LOTS and lots of warez trolling and questions, and lots of firm opinions on the subject, and suddenly we have a massive influx of gallery trolling as well, and not too surprisingly, most of the worst offenders seem to be attacking some of our more vocal members. It's not even a matter of tact on most of them. Most of them are just flat out and deliberately crude and insulting -- one that spewed four-letter words all over his "helpful" comment, for example.

pokeydots ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2001 at 10:18 PM

I don't comment alot in the galleries, but Once in awhile I do. And I consider other peoples work art, even if it isn't up my alley so to speak, and I never leave anything negative. As my mom always says, one mans trash is another mans treasure, so... be kind, be tactful. Another thing my mom always says is, it makes a difference whose Ox is being gored! So I try to remember that, cause someday it might just be my Ox!

Poser 9 SR3  and 8 sr3
=================
Processor Type:  AMD Phenom II 830 Quad-Core
2.80GHz, 4000MHz System Bus, 2MB L2 Cache + 6MB Shared L3 Cache
Hard Drive Size:  1TB
Processor - Clock Speed:  2.8 GHz
Operating System:  Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
Graphics Type:  ATI Radeon HD 4200
•ATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphics 
System Ram:  8GB 

pendarian ( ) posted Wed, 19 December 2001 at 11:06 PM

I try to comment on things that do move me in one way or another. I have also left small remarks about shadows or lighting (not very often) but I so try to suggest a change and then back it up with the fact that the piece itself is still very good or good or whatever...does that make sense? Someone once told me a forumla for critiqing..I think it was two parts good and one part critical or something like that. For every part that you do critique, let the artist know of at least two points that you find interesting or good. But you are so right ryuslilangel, there is a huge difference between suggestions and the trolling that I have seen lately on some images. Pendy

siverly11 ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2001 at 12:24 AM

I don't know how much work it would be for the good folks that run Renderosity, but there's a function on eBay that bears mention here. They run what I believe is a CGI script that allows sellers to block bids from a seller-defined list of buyers. That might help to alleviate the problem. Just some food for thought, o ye powers-that-be. :)

ronknights ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2001 at 1:42 AM

OK, I think the operative term here is: Constructive Criticism. That means you might have some good positive comments, and suggestions. That's how adults communicate. And we should have taught our children to do the same. I think those who fail to abide by that "rule" are really just showing their own lack of tact, and lack of maturity as well.

Buddha32 ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2001 at 2:14 AM

I try to comment on the pics of others and when I do I offer help or I just say what I think of the pic. I always follow the rule that if I can't say something nice or helpful, then I say nothing at all. I always value getting the comments of others as well. Irf someone offers me assistance to make something better or improve my overall work, I accept it gladly. If someone says something dripping of intelligence like "that sucks" then I know he's just an asshole and not worthy of my time or attention.

ronnieversace ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2001 at 3:11 AM

Okay, I couldn't help but leaving my two cents. I have done a teacher's education and thus have learnt quite a lot about constructive critism. Try and follow these guidelines when commenting on someone's art: 1. Make a nice remark! 2. Point out a pro (something good about it) 3. Point out the stuff you think could be done differently 4. Explain WHAT the artist can do to improve on that As long as you keep the critique friendly, focused on the art and not the artist, no one should be offended.

eirian ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2001 at 5:54 AM

I couldn't agree more! Twice in recent memory the same person has seen fit to leave a comment on one of my pics along the lines of "Why don't you create something original next time". (Apparently this is what I get for putting credits on my images.) One of those pics I've since deleted, the other is still there and I would LOVE to be able to delete that snarky remark. But I can only do that by deleting all of the comments. I have no problem with constructive criticism. I love it. But this is not constructive, it's petty and unfair. OTOH, I won't respond to that sort of thing. "Feeding the Troll" just encourages it.

ronknights ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2001 at 7:07 AM

I have to say I've had an invaluable education, thanks to the comments and suggestions of fellow Renderosity members. Some of the comments came at the gallery, while many came in IM messages, or in the forum. I really appreciate all that input. Some people were instrumental in helping me "see the light," so I could make tremendous progress! As for leaving comments, sometimes all I have to say is "Wow, that's beautiful." That's good enough.

dirk5027 ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2001 at 7:41 AM

what the artist sees and what the viewer sees are many times different things, that's the beauty of artwork..Any one out there receiving a bad comment, just let it roll off your back, remember Picasso was laughed at when he started. Many thanks to every one that has been supportive and as a person that has received a few "rude" (in a private yahoo group)comments, let me just say, wait til i get better at this and watch me FLY Merry christmas everyone

egaeus ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2001 at 8:52 AM

I think we're missing the boat here. The point of leaving a rude comment is to leave a rude comment. The person who does so thinks differently about it than we all do. To them it's more than likely fun, so advising them to treat the gallery pics as art will be of little value. They enjoy being rude, and discussions like this probably please them -- they know they're gettng under your skin. What you more than likely have is an influx of children who think "bad" words and bad manners are hilarious. "Weee--I used the f-word in a sentence!" I'd like to see an "idiot" filter on the gallery pics, so when you're sent that ebot message about a gallery comment it reads "so-and-so left a stupid comment about your gallery image." Mike

CobaltDragon ( ) posted Thu, 20 December 2001 at 2:34 PM

I try to look at it this way, if my art work can cause someone to comment good or bad then my art has moved them emotionally in some way and therefore it is good art because it has touched them on an emotional level. It may be looking through rose colored glasses but thats just my viewpoint.

ronnieversace ( ) posted Fri, 21 December 2001 at 4:58 AM

Beautifully put, CobaltDragon. A true artist...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.