Tue, Oct 22, 8:42 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 7:36 am)

Subject: Question about Zygote People & DAZ People

Nebula ( ) posted Wed, 26 December 2001 at 2:42 PM ยท edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 8:19 AM

Trying to clean up my library files. I have a ton of directories. I was wanting to know what the difference is between the Zygote People directory and the DAZ People directory? I am guessing that Zygote People was created when I bought Victoria 1. Then DAZ People was created when I bought Victoria 2 upgrade. This being the case, do I still need the Zygote People files if I continue to use Victoria 2? Better yet, can I just move the Vicki files from the Zygote dir to the DAZ dir? Thanks for your help! Nebula

Aureeanna ( ) posted Wed, 26 December 2001 at 3:01 PM

you can move the files anywhere you want, in fact, when I install something new I put everything, including the textures, in the same folder...but you have to open the cr2 or pp2 in notepad and change the file locations.....it's worth it to me because I always know everything I need is in the same directory.

shadowcat ( ) posted Wed, 26 December 2001 at 4:11 PM

I wouldn't bother messing with the .obj files, but move the .cr2 files if you want (and the partner .rsr)

Lorraine ( ) posted Wed, 26 December 2001 at 7:43 PM

well a note for the future, or maybe you know, but if you get too many folders in your subdirectories (character, pose, etc) you cannot open some of them...so use the fewer folders more stuff in them approach. I had to reorganize my system...:-(...

Nebula ( ) posted Thu, 27 December 2001 at 7:45 AM

Hey, Thanks everyone! I like your idea Aureeanna, everything in the same directory. I have started from scratch with Poser and will implement your idea. Thanks! And Lorraine is right, too many folders and you lose access to some. That's what I want to avoid. I need to come up with some sort of generic directory scheme to use. I did finally organize all my 3D downloads and purchases so I could find them..... or at least have a clue what they are. Some of the download names are VERY strange. We should make download names like.... char_P4Julie0104.zip char_V2Julie0104.zip pose_V2Photoshoot.zip prop_cainchair0104.zip ....something like that. A catagory, itemname and maybe a version number if necessary. Then when you see it... bam.. you know what it is. Also, an intact directory structure would be nice too. Since everyone gives their two cents worth, I guess there's mine. Again, thanks for everyones help! Nebula

azl ( ) posted Thu, 27 December 2001 at 9:00 AM

I second Aureeanna's caution -- you can move everything around. However, if you move the OBJs (which is not recommended) or the textures (which is fine), you'll need to edit their file locations.

I like the idea of everything in the same directory so much that my freebies and marketplace products put everything in the same directory.

Aurelio
AZL Studios

Nebula ( ) posted Thu, 27 December 2001 at 10:21 AM

Along the lines of moving things around, I've written a small VB app that edits the file locations within the CR2 or PP2 files. It's my understanding that the RSR file will rebuild itself if it doesn't exist. I'm still debugging it tho. It currently just edits the texture files. Would a program like this be of any interest to anyone? Thanks Nebula

Netherworks ( ) posted Thu, 27 December 2001 at 5:41 PM

Nebula, Just being able to edit the texture files would be a godsend. I'm not afraid of using a text editor (Editpad Lite, for me), its just a pain in the arse.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Thu, 27 December 2001 at 11:38 PM

I like the everything in one folder idea. It makes sense to have common files like the basic geometry files in their own directories, but a new geometry and texture folders for every prop and custom figure is a pain. I also wish folks would adopt a common naming convention. One other thing, with long file names available, I really don't see a compelling reason for short cryptic names that tell you virtually nothing about the file contents. I end up trying to rename things as I download them.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Nebula ( ) posted Fri, 28 December 2001 at 7:41 AM

Man, I agree 110% lmckenzie! I do the same thing. I even put the proper directory structure together for some of them. Even tho I do enjoy organizing things a little, I would much rather be rendering something. :) Nebula

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.