Mon, Sep 9, 7:44 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Copyright in question

DAD ( ) posted Wed, 22 December 1999 at 1:11 PM ยท edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 12:29 PM

Attached Link: http://members.aol.com/revwhacker2/gheb.jpg

I'm working on a new character for a project I'm involved in and a question of copyright has come up. I remember this character as a cartoon my brother-in-law used to draw back in the early 70's called "The Great Hairy Eyeball". It looks like an "Big Daddy" Roth inspired character and at first I though maybe it was his or one of the old Weird-Oh's but I can't find anything on this character other than my memories. Please, if anyone recognizes this character and knows of it's origins, let me know before I go to far!

Legume ( ) posted Wed, 22 December 1999 at 1:13 PM

I recognize the character. That's my ex-girlfriend...I dumped her, she was always eye-balling other guys.

JeffH ( ) posted Wed, 22 December 1999 at 5:49 PM

I remember a store called the "Hairy Eyeball" back in the early 70's. Their logo was an Eyeball with legs wearing a hippie wig. They were probably just a head-shop, but I was too young to know anything about that. -JH.

ghostboat ( ) posted Wed, 22 December 1999 at 7:27 PM

Big Daddy Roth had a hairy eyeball character but yours is safe it's different from his by a good margin.I was a big ROTH FAN back in The 60'S & 70'S.

DAD ( ) posted Wed, 22 December 1999 at 7:42 PM

Ghostboat, Thanks. I kinda figured if anyone had done somehting like this it was Big Daddy. I use to have all his model kits of the cars and Rat Fink. But I just couldn't remember ever seeing the Eyeball charater. As long as I'm far enough away from his design as you say, I'll continue working on him.

lmacken ( ) posted Wed, 22 December 1999 at 8:05 PM

Von Dutch, So-Cal pinstriper, closely associated with Roth and Robert Williams, was using a flying eyeball as his logo as early as the 1930's. See Kustom Kulture (Laguna Art Museum/Last Gasp 1993, p. 20). Although it ultimately goes back to Greek mythology. Can't lay my hands on the name in Greek. Them hippies wuz appropriatin'. Anyway, when it filled downward on my screen, my first thought was the one-eyed one-horned Flying Purple People Eater.

ghostboat ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 1999 at 2:10 AM

Big Daddy's character was called cyClops drove a mean hot rod with the stickshift way over his head and had a BIIIIIG toothy grin.Bring back any memories now?:-) Grrrr!FORDs EAT CHEVYS.... hehe

DAD ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 1999 at 11:33 AM

Ghostboat, Vaguely. He must have been one of the later characters and a little less popular. Or maybe my interest was just faiding. F.O.R.D. Found On Road Dead!

ghostboat ( ) posted Thu, 23 December 1999 at 5:00 PM

Hey my F.O.R.D. is a Fix Or Repair Daily hehe t's so old it would get indigestion if it ate a Chevy hehe good luck on your character, ghostboat

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.