Thu, Sep 19, 11:23 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Tree Druid?

Tomsde ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2002 at 8:48 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 9:51 PM

Is anyone out there using the Tree Druid plug-in for Carrara. If so how is it working out.

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2002 at 8:55 AM

I adore it.

HARBINGER-3D ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2002 at 10:58 AM

It's pretty pricey though?

brenthomer ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2002 at 11:22 AM

I have a question about the plug-in. I would love to have it but I am afraid...I keep hearing that the plug-in is missing alot of functions of the stand-alone? Is that true? If I have the stand-alone is it a pain to use with carrara? I have heard that the plug-in doesnt allow you to creat anything..it just let you modify some already created tree's, while the stand alone lets you create new types of tree's...anythoughts on this??

ewinemiller ( ) posted Wed, 23 January 2002 at 11:42 AM

You are correct, the Carrara version is pretty lightweight. I find that often I have to go back to the Ray Dream version, set everything up, export the tree druid file, and then select it in Carrara. Without stand alone or the Ray Dream version, it would be very limited. Eric Winemiller Digital Carvers Guild Freeware and commercial 3D extensions http://digitalcarversguild.com

Eric Winemiller
Digital Carvers Guild
Carrara and LightWave plug-ins

hartcons ( ) posted Sat, 26 January 2002 at 12:22 PM

file_261226.jpg

The plug-in does let you animate your tree (wind, leaf volume by season) and you can supposedly edit the tree preset files by hand if you don't have the standalone version. You can also use parametric mapping layers with the plug-in (limbs, boughs, trunk, leaves); don't know if you can do likewise if you import a standalone tree.

Seems like the best setup is to have both and to use the standalone editor to create presets for the Carrara plug-in. Personally I think it would have been nice if the preset editor had shipped with the Carrara plug-in.

Would be nice if it shipped with more texture maps for different kinds of trees (it generates the shapes but doesn't do the texturing for you).

So far I've only been able to get trees to cast hard shadows (no shadow shows up with soft shadows).

Check out http://www.vb-visual.com/vb/produkte.php (something similar for C4D). This seems to come with lots of texture maps for different kinds of trees.

I've attached something I whipped up. Just for fun I made the tree be an Anything Glows light.

The tree plug-in is a lot of fun but it might be hard to create very realistic looking trees with it (especially without the standalone version to create new presets).

deuxabu ( ) posted Sun, 27 January 2002 at 12:43 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/photos/GalleryImage128989.jpg

For me the tree druid works very well, specially when you need trees on the background and don't want to spend much time modelling them.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.