Fri, Sep 20, 10:34 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Any suggestions for this?

MikeJ ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2002 at 9:15 AM ยท edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 10:28 AM

file_261713.jpg

I haven't really played with the volumetric spheres much, at least to the point where they're overlapping. In this pic which is something I'm working on, at the left you can clearly see the edges of 2 of the spheres that the volume mats were applied to. There are no volume lights, and the "atmosphere" is just a solid black color map for the sky, and is not volumetric. There is no fog or haze used at all. I think the problem is being caused by the point light at the left with the lens flare. Anyone have any tips for using the volumetric materials in strong lighting and not getting such artifacts?

tradivoro ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2002 at 10:07 AM

WEll Mike, I really don't know much about that, but I just wanted to say, that this is looking good, it definitely looks like a nebula out in space... I'm sure you'll figure out the technical aspects... :)

Varian ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2002 at 10:19 AM

This is looking very cool! A bit different kind of scene for you and coming along nicely. I don't know if this would help, but I'd try enlarging the "blue cloud" material and see if that helps. Also, check to be sure the cloud spheres aren't intersecting at all. Just guessing. Good luck with this! :)

MikeJ ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2002 at 11:10 AM

Thanks for the comments. This is far from done, really, but I'm hoping to figure it out before I get too far into it. The spheres are in fact intersecting. I want them too, for that matter, and I would figure I should be able to have them do so and to have Vue render them right. :P But I had shadows turned up pretty high for the lens flare light on the left, and had forgotten about that. Turning the shadows down has fixed it a little but has also taken away some of what I like, too... I'll keep at it. :) Also I'm planning on using this as a backdrop for an animation, in case you're wondering why I go from my usual to this....

kruzr ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2002 at 1:33 PM

file_261714.jpg

'Morning Mike . . . I tried to duplicate the visible sphere edge as in your image, but I couldn't do it. In this image there's 3 spheres with volumetric materials applied, in 3 different colors. All 3 of the spheres overlap. I put a light in the scene, but didn't increase the shadows any, maybe that's why I didn't get the edge to show up??? Anyway, just thought I'd give it a try & see if I could figure out what's going on. Sorry I couldn't be of any help. 8^( A very nice looking image . . . Have a good one . . . Mark. 8^)

Ms_Outlaw ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2002 at 3:02 PM

No help here either. Just have to say I love that image. If you hadn't of said there was a problem I wouldn't have noticed. Looks great. Okay, I admit I'm a sci fi fan ~G~

bloodsong ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2002 at 4:52 PM

yeah, send it to me! no, not to fix it, i just like pretty nebulae ;) erm... okay, if shadows are a problem, then turn off 'accept shadows' on the sphere mats? and/or cast shadows? not sure if volumetric materials have those options. btw, this reminds me, although it's off on a tangent... can you get hein's sphere clouds vobs to work in the latest patch(es)?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.