Mon, Oct 21, 11:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 11:11 pm)

Subject: UVMapper & rotate

Eowyn ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2002 at 2:18 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 11:22 PM

Maybe I'm stupid but I just can't figure out how the rotate tool in UVMapper works... when I click on it a little window pops up and I'm supposed to enter the amount of degrees I want to rotate the item... But after I enter the degrees and hit enter nothing happens? What is it that I'm doing wrong?

Jaager ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2002 at 2:26 PM

I think it is all or none, the whole model only. Being able to rotate just a selected part would be handy, but that is not the function. Maybe UVMapper Pro?

PhilC ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2002 at 2:28 PM

If you save the model with the "Export Using Rotation Settings" box selected the model will be rotated in 3D space. It does not alter its UV mapping.

philc_agatha_white_on_black.jpg

Eowyn ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2002 at 2:32 PM

EEKKK so how exactly am I going to do the remapping then? :O I am trying to map Dina so she could use Vicki textures... but if I can't rotate the selections, it'll be a tough job :/

Ajax ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2002 at 2:59 PM

You can map only the selection so: you rotate the whole model, map the bit you need, rotate the model again, map a different bit etc. When you're finished, either rotate it back to where you started or export it without without the rotation settings.

View Ajax's Gallery - View Ajax's Freestuff - View Ajax's Store - Send Ajax a message

Eowyn ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2002 at 3:15 PM

Thanks for the advice... that sounds really toilsome though. I think I'll see how far I can get without any rotating and then try it... No one ever told me how slow remapping is :P 4 hours and the only thing I got almost done so far are the toenails of Dina's left foot sigh

SAMS3D ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2002 at 3:16 PM

Actually this is how I do it, say I have an object all broken apart. I have started a new map, because one of the pieces are turned to the right side, I select that piece, I go to rotate, put in the x axis 90 degrees say okay. Then with the same piece selected I say new map, and make sure that I am on the x axis and vola it turns it. Did I make sense to you. I can show you a picture if you need. Sharen

Eowyn ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2002 at 3:19 PM

The pic would be useful... but, I'll work on the parts that are easy to do without any rotating first and then get back to you Sharen... that okay? :)

Robert Kopp ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2002 at 3:44 PM

Attached Link: http://www.geocities.com/lithunwrap/

You can do this with lithunwrap, another freeware mapping prog http://www.geocities.com/lithunwrap/ If I make some more complex maps I use both, first lithunwrap which allow me to rotate parts and for the finalmap UVmapper. Robert

MeInOhio ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2002 at 3:49 PM

Well, I was going to say it can be done, but Sams3d beat me to it. I'm pretty certain you don't have to have anything selected when you choose rotate. Just enter a number for the axis and the amount you want to rotate, and close the box. Then select the part or the whole map and select new map and it will turn. If you don't choose new map, nothing will happen. If you want to turn several parts, just select the one and then remap. Select another part and remap it. It's probably a good idea to set the rotation back when you're done, or you might turn something later on that you didn't mean to. Like some of the others on this list, I didn't think rotate didn't change anything, but I knew you had to be able to because I had seen where BryceTech had done it, so I kept fiddling until I figured it out. Kevin

TMGraphics ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2002 at 3:50 PM

What I do is choose a section either by bounding box, material, or group, set the rotation I want, then create a new map for just that part that is highlighted. the amount you set to the rotation only affects the next 'map' (highlighted group or material or selected area) you do. This rotation does not affect any areas that are NOT highlighted or chosen. If the rotation doesn't suit you, leave the selection highlighted, set rotation to a different number (or zero's to go back to where you were) and remap the selected item(s). You can do this for any or all groups,materials or selected areas you want. When done save entire template. Just a thought... TMG

Eowyn ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2002 at 3:52 PM

I had no idea there was another free mapping program! Thank you, Robert - I will take a look :))

Eowyn ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2002 at 3:55 PM

Oh yeah, I'm starting to understand what you guys are talking about. See, before I started this Dina remapping tonight I had had about half an hour experience with UVMapper so no wonder if I don't quite know what I'm doing ;) Thanks a bunch, people. (Anyone else want to give remapping Dina a shot? :P)

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2002 at 4:09 PM

Here's a link to the LithUnwrap mirror site, in case the site Robert provided a link to is down.

LithUnwrap is great, and keeps getting better; Bolthouse updates the program on a near-weekly basis. It's as popular with 3D game modders as UVMapper is with Poser addicts. You can use it for file conversion, also, since it supports multiple formats.

MeInOhio ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2002 at 6:54 PM

The one problem I have is this... I make my map and take it into Photoshop or Painter and I select the background. Then I invert the mask. And then I paint the mask, but when I apply the map in Poser 4.03 wProPack or in Cararra, my model has some stretched white triangles along the seams. For example, if I've split the front and back into separate halves, there will be some white where the two halves are rejoined. I've tried expanding my mask (Selection) by 5 pixels, but that hasn't fixed the problem. Does anyone else have this happen, and how do you fix it? Thanks. Kevin

TMGraphics ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2002 at 7:34 PM

make sure you change it to a "RGB" format before painting in Photoshop. Image>Adjust>Mode TMG

Eowyn ( ) posted Fri, 01 February 2002 at 9:39 AM

I'm looking at LithUnwrap now and it does indeed seem great... however, I can't find a way to load a background image??? I won't be able to use LithUnwrap for this remapping if there's no way to load the Victoria template as the background :( Am I just being blind?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.