Sat, Sep 21, 5:54 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 9:12 am)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Models and The Marketplace

FYSavant ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2002 at 12:43 PM ยท edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 1:05 PM

Hey everyone. ^^

I've gotten a couple of comments on the lightsaber I've been working on in the WIP gallery, one of which was if I was going to make it available in the marketplace or not. While the idea of this is new and exciting to me, I have to wonder if because the particular model I'm working on is a replica, would this model be held by intillectual property by Lucasfilm. I know that as long as I use it as art and such and don't sell it, that I'm not being safe and all. However, I don't know if I can put the model on the marketplace or not because of this sort of thing. I went to look at the Star Wars Modeling Alliance to see what their policies are about this sort of thing, but their offline right now. Does anyone have a copy of their website or their copyright statement? I'd like to do things right, and so hope that some of you out there have possibly worked with them before or have done things of this nature. Please let me know. ^_^

dwmdesigner ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2002 at 5:08 PM

The design itself is Lucasfilm property, it's my understanding. everything that you see on film is copyrighted, costumes, sets, creatures, spaceships. So I doubt it would be legal to sell an exact replica, even if it is a 3D Model. I do know for a fact that, if the design is altered 51% or more you won't get into trouble, so if you create your own version of the saber then you could sell that in the marketplace. I don't know which Saber you created but I have seen most of the sabers as free downloads in .3ds format on other websites. I'm not a Copyright lawyer, but that is what I know of those legalities,I would suggets that you continue to ask around before posting it. Dwmdesigner

FYSavant ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2002 at 5:15 PM

Yeah, that's what I thought. I've been in situations relating to intillectioal property and art before, and am really not all that concerned with putting this on the marketplace because I figured that was the case. Granted the art is my own, but I don't plan to put that on the marketplace, either. ^_^ My goal in this model is to complete a modeling project and let people enjoy the results as well as myself.

I just thought I'd ask because I wasn't sure if The Star Wars Modeling Alliance (which is down right now) had some sort of licensing agreement with Lucasfilm or something to exchange replicas and such that are made in 3D. If you or anyone else knows about this sort of thing, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks!

FYSavant

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2002 at 6:19 PM

We have a Copyright Laws forum here at Renderosity; you might want to post your question there, as well. For the record, LucasFilm doesn't have a monopoly on laser blades (they're quite common in anime), but since your model is such a close match for one of the sabers used in the films, selling it as-is would be a bad idea. If you created a unique lightsaber design, and marketed it as a "plasma sword" or something, without using the words lightsaber, Jedi, or Star Wars in the description, that should be perfectly legal. And frankly, I'd love to see your current lightsaber in Free Stuff.

FYSavant ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2002 at 6:33 PM

nods Like I said, I'm mostly asking because I was asked, and hadn't really thought about the idea before. ^_^ I'm not sure where the model will end up, we'll see when its done. But thank you all for your input, we'll see what happens. :)

Quikp51 ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2002 at 8:21 PM

Give it to us at SciFi-3D, we'll have a place for it.

Quikp51 ( ) posted Wed, 30 January 2002 at 8:26 PM

Also we at Scifi-3D have already talked to LucasArts about licensing. You cannot sell that item without their permission. The way it is your saber is has too much of a likeness towards Lucas' lightsabers that you would be sued to pull it off the market. BurninghamStudios.com placed their SW meshes on a retail cd that accompanied other meshes and they were sued. Luckily for them they forged a deal with LucasArts and now can distribute the meshes for money. Don't risk it man, if you want people to use it distribute the item through us for free public consumption.

dave3 ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2002 at 4:35 PM

Although, the lightsabers in the original movies were modifed Graflex flash guns for cameras, circa the 1940s and '50s. (When you see reporters taking pictures in old movies, look at the flash attachments on their cameras.) There were a lot of irrate camera buffs in the '70s, because everyone was buying up vintage equipment and trashing it to make lightsabers. I'm not saying I'd want to go up against Lucasfilm in court, but the design is not original to the Star Wars movies.

FYSavant ( ) posted Thu, 31 January 2002 at 4:39 PM

Yes, that's exactly what I have here on my desk that I modeled this model from; a graflex flash gun of that same model. ^^ Thanks for all of your input, everyone. I pretty much figure that I'd need to let this one go since I've been in copyright disputes over art before, just wanted to check to see if there was provision made for this particular sort of replica. Looks like their isn't, but thanks everyone for their help in my finding out. ^^ FYSavant

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.