Sun, Sep 22, 8:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: Gorilla Safari

headhunter ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 1999 at 10:45 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 8:17 AM

Does anyone know where to find a model of a gorilla? Preferably a reasonably priced one (or better yet, a free one, altho I don't hold much hope for that) Viewpoint Digital has some (but notice I said REASONABLY priced! Their prices are ten times that of comparable Zygote models!) It doesn't have to be a poseable Posermodel (tho that would be nice, wouldn't it?!) it just has to look like a gorilla. Please help in my safari for Gorillas in the Mist (or Gorillas in the Volumetric Fog?)...! HH

jje ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 1999 at 11:35 PM

Alas I asked this same question a few months ago. There is none I was given the Zygote chimp for Christmas but....its lacking a lot The only ones out there are the Viewpoint models and even with that I suspect they would have to be taken apart and jointed. I keep looking at that $200 one with lust. I need one about the size of Mighty Joe Young. and joints are essential. jje

Eshal ( ) posted Fri, 31 December 1999 at 10:00 AM

Hi there, I believe that there were some morphs to make poser dude resemble a gorilla(as if he were looks challenged enough already!) though I can't remember where atm. Regards Eshal

I'm a genetically enhanced blonde...what's your excuse? ~Eshal~

eh3d ( ) posted Fri, 31 December 1999 at 10:37 AM

maybe there is one in the "AnimalKingdom CD" available from 3dcafe. Edi

Scarab ( ) posted Fri, 31 December 1999 at 11:05 AM

Dedicated Digital has been teasing us for about a year with the promise of free chimp, orang, and gorilla models...maybe now that they are finally getting up and running they will come through.....HEY DEDICATED DIGITAL!!! ...CAN YOU HELP THIS GUY OUT????? Scarab<-(pounding the table with his shoe.."Nyet..Nyet.."

headhunter ( ) posted Fri, 31 December 1999 at 1:01 PM

Re the "gorilla" morph, I have that, but it doesn't look like a real gorilla. It looks more like a guy in a Bigfoot suit, the limbs are still human proportions. As for 3DCafe, I looked thru all their animal models & no gorilla. I'll keep my eye out on Dedicated Digital tho. Free is just the right price range :) And finally, JJE -- HeadHunter's Tribal Shaman says if you're looking at $200 gorillas with lust you've been out in the jungle too long! Besides, the $250 one is MUCH better looking, and the $700 one is a real beauty!

Talos ( ) posted Fri, 31 December 1999 at 5:56 PM

This is probably the most wanted and least available model of all. I got variable results by morph-deforming the hell out of a Mr. Chaney model with only partial success. I got a monstrosity that looks gorilla-like but only works from some angles, and I have yet to create a really good bump/texture map for the mess. I should post a pic for a laugh. Maybe somebody could morph the hell out of the chimp!

headhunter ( ) posted Fri, 31 December 1999 at 6:39 PM

I've considered using the headmorph from the Poserman->gorilla model along with the hulk/beast P3 model's body, but it'd probably wind up looking like a low-budget Hollywood horror gorilla. Perhaps someone with some modeling experience can take up the challenge. If you need a model to go by, you can eyeball it from Viewpoint's gorilla mesh, it lets you rotate the view from different angles. BTW, I checked Dedicated Digital & got a nice Polar Bear but alas, no anthropoids!

headhunter ( ) posted Fri, 31 December 1999 at 6:57 PM

Found another site with a gorilla: http://www.acuris.com/acumodel/animals2.htm Unfortunately it's a bit pricey. The quest continues...

headhunter ( ) posted Sat, 01 January 2000 at 1:22 AM

5000 models @ $495... That's about 10 bucks a model. Not bad. Still, I don't want to buy that many models just to get a few I need. (Just to get our gorillas straight, we are talking about VP11978, second simian of the 3 in the list, right?) It's got Viewpoint's copyright on it, maybe Infografica is a licensor (or vice-versa?). I'm just an amateur artist tho, and spending hundreds on a mesh just isn't justifiable. I will check out the site tho. Meanwhile I'm putting my pith helmet on & getting out the machete. Tell the porters to bring the cage, there's a gorilla out there somewhere!

headhunter ( ) posted Sat, 01 January 2000 at 1:55 AM

BTW, I couldn't find the De Espona link you referred to. It's probably buried in one of the messages somewhere. But I did check out that VUE D'esprit you've been raving about. Now you've got ME drooling over it! At $199 I've got to have it!

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Sat, 01 January 2000 at 7:55 AM

If a gorilla (or other non-human primate: ape, monkey, lemur) is made properly, it would have to have all the usual 15 separate finger parts on each of its feet as well as on each of its hands, if it is to be able to be posed property. That would threaten to overfill the list of parts that Poser displays sometimes. Thus it would be useful to be able on that list, for each body part, to tell Poser optionally not to display any part which is a descendant of it.

headhunter ( ) posted Sat, 01 January 2000 at 11:55 AM

I have the chimp, and I believe they cheat a bit by making the toes one piece & including a "toe thumb" for grasping poses. I don't think the feet of quadrumanes (primates with thumbs on their feet) are as flexible as the hands (more than ours, certainly, but the limits would be less than their hands) Still, it would be nice if the BodyParts list were built like the Heirarchy window with a "+" to expand children of a parent. And I've always thought it'd be easier if you could make a part invisible/visible from that list too.

headhunter ( ) posted Sat, 01 January 2000 at 11:03 PM

No contest. Remember King Kong? "It wasn't the biplanes, it was beauty that killed the beast!"

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.