Tue, Sep 24, 9:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 9:01 pm)

Subject: P3/P4 figures

Atrice ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2002 at 5:33 PM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 9:28 PM

I may well have misunderstood something here but here goes anyway! I've read in past threads (sorry can't point you to any in particular) that 1) P4 figures are just P3 figures remapped 2) P4 head morphs can be used on P3 figures but P4 body morphs can't. So, if the only difference between P3 and P4 figures is the mapping why can't you use P4 body morphs on P3 figures? Sorry if this is a stupid question! :o) Baz

3-DArena ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2002 at 5:41 PM

where did you read this? If you meant my post, the original image is the P4V it is P4 remapped by AprilYSH to take Victoria textures. I was originally going to sell the figure, but I couldn't get rid of the jaggies. If I was going to sell her I couldn't use April's free remapped version, so I transferred the morph to a regular p4. No p3's were exploited in any way in the creation of Mitzy ;-)

3-D Arena | Instagram | Facebook

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo

Atrice ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2002 at 5:45 PM

Wow, that was quick! No it wasn't your post, it was a passing comment in reply to some thread or other a few days ago. If I can remember what it was about I'll post a link. Baz

VirtualSite ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2002 at 5:48 PM

Baz, it comes down to which version of all this youre using, more than anything else. For example, I have some great files I made in Bryce 2 that can no longer be read, because Bryce 5 doesnt recognize them. I have to resave them in an interim format, and then B5 will open them just sweet. Now, from what I understand, theres more to the P4 figures than just being remaps of the P3s -- if you look at the two meshes side by side, theres some pretty wholesale changes from one to the other: higher poly count, for one, that allows more subtle expression. But its in the body construction that you really see the difference: the body shape was completely redone - from scratch, it seems -- and as such, morphs for this more complex, more "real" figure just wouldnt translate well. You can probably use them (I havent tries), but I doubt the effect would be what you want.

Atrice ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2002 at 6:20 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12356&Form.ShowMessage=555433&Reply=555891#7

Thanks VirtualSite, that makes sense. Like I said it was a passing comment by Jaager (see link) and was probably a generalisation that I read more into than was intended! Thanks for the info!

Baz

EnglishBob ( ) posted Tue, 05 February 2002 at 3:57 AM

It's definitely true that P4 body morphs don't work on P3 figures. Poser refuses to apply them, coming up with the "different number of vertices" error. That's why Poser 4 comes with a set of P3 nudes. However even the P4 versions of P3 figures aren't exactly the same as the genuine figures that come with Poser 3 - although they take the morph targets, they won't accept UVmapper .UVS files meant for the other figure. There is some difference in the UV mapping.

Atrice ( ) posted Tue, 05 February 2002 at 5:00 PM

Thanks for the info! I've just got the free Poser3 and I'm trying to figure out how much I can do with it! Baz

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 06 February 2002 at 4:03 AM

Attached Link: http://www.angelfire.com/art2/cheapskate/

I was on Poser 3 until very recently - a late developer :-) My site has some information which may be useful to you (see link).

BazC ( ) posted Wed, 06 February 2002 at 7:22 AM

Thanks a lot EnglishBob, thats really good of you! Baz

BazC ( ) posted Wed, 06 February 2002 at 7:38 AM

Hey, just looked at your site EnglishBob, what a wealth of useful information. I really like the lighting in some of your pics, have you got any tips for making the most of P3s limited lighting options? Baz

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 06 February 2002 at 6:04 PM

Attached Link: http://www.awakemm.com/poserarcana/

You might like to have a look at the lighting tutorials at Poser Arcana - see the link. You have to think in terms of a virtual photographic studio when lighting Poser scenes, and remember that the view window doesn't give you much of a clue regarding lighting subtleties. You'll need to do lots of test renders to check your progress. I also find that I nearly always have to increase the shadow map size for my main light at least - usually to 1024, but sometimes as high as 4096 if the shadows are a prominent part of the composition or are falling at an oblique angle. Other than that, my best advice is to keep practicing ;-)

BazC ( ) posted Thu, 07 February 2002 at 6:34 AM

'Other than that, my best advice is to keep practicing ;-)' I'm already starting to realise that! Thanks for your advice and all the links, I was staring at my monitor all day yesterday, I'm going to have to start rationing myself! This is fun! Baz

EnglishBob ( ) posted Fri, 08 February 2002 at 4:03 AM

Attached Link: http://3drender.com/index.html

You're welcome - and thanks for the kind words about my images, by the way. Now since I know you don't have enough to do already :-) here's another link which has some good lighting tutorials (and other subjects too). I couldn't find the URL the other day. I promise to shut up now and let you get on with it :-)

BazC ( ) posted Fri, 08 February 2002 at 5:27 AM

Thanks again! Baz

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.