Sat, Oct 5, 10:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: 6 vs. elements

mwa ( ) posted Fri, 08 February 2002 at 2:32 AM ยท edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 8:17 AM

Does anyone know if there is a big differens between photoshop6 and photoshop elements because I've woorked with photoshop6 a bit and thinking of bying it, but then I tried elements and as far as I can tell the only big differens is that it is not possible to work CMYK-colors and it's only 1/10 of the prize, anyone knows more?

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Fri, 08 February 2002 at 4:19 AM

Hi MWA, I think you are the type of customer Adobe has in mind when trying to sell Photoshop Elements. The adobe faq about this subject reads: Adobe Photoshop Elements: For anyone (amateur photographers, hobbyists, digital camera & scanner owners) who outgrows the templates and guided activities in PhotoDeluxe but for whom the professional version of Photoshop is out of reach For users who are interested in exploring their creativity using the editing tools and techniques that the pros use, but in an easy-to-use environment In Photoshop vs missing in PS Elements: Advanced Web features (slicing, rollovers, etc.) Professional-level printing (CMYK separations) Channel editing Improved precision More flexible/powerful masking Automation Optimized for professional workflow So if you are not working for print and/or large formats and big manipulation, for print, PLEASE buy Elements because you would pay a lot more for functions you don't need. In all the magazines Elements is reviewed in, the writers are really enthousiast about this bargain. It seems to be a very nice offer by Adobe. That's why I checked out the Adobe site for the differences, not because my uncle works for Adobe or something. But I guess there is more information online. Hope this helps.

mwa ( ) posted Fri, 08 February 2002 at 5:07 AM

How about plugins for photoshop?

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Fri, 08 February 2002 at 5:25 AM

Uhm, if you believe Adobe's answer to that question, and why not: Photoshop Elements supports all Photoshop plug-ins that were designed to work on RGB images. And for what it's worth: there are only very few plugins that ONLY work on cmyk. I can only think of the Extensis Intellihance plugin, but that is for prepress purposes. Which Elements is not. Marbe there is a plugin, somewhere, that needs the channels to do what it does, so that would also be impossible. I think that for instance the nice /Render/Light Effects wil be missing or handicapped, because that works with custom channels. O yes, and 'actions' ar not compatible. There are a lot of resources were people share those, and the output of that sometimes looks like or equals effects you can get with filters (like burning letters and stuff). Those fall under the 'automation' thing that is missing. Some things you might consider a filter could be an action.

mwa ( ) posted Fri, 08 February 2002 at 6:39 AM

Ok! Thanks alot for your help! I'll think I'll go for element right now because it's not that much money anyway and than we'll see. I will only use it for pictures that will be published on the web or on cd-roms. And also for making textures to max and poser so I think elements will do everything I'll ask for right know. And i love all the thumbnails a real timesaver if you don't work with the effects and filters daily. So thanks again!

mwa ( ) posted Fri, 08 February 2002 at 6:42 AM

Oh one more thing! Do you know if there is a plugin that make painting more like how it works in painter??

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Fri, 08 February 2002 at 8:52 AM

Attached Link: http://thepluginsite.com/

Yes, there is, but it's $250, Deep Paint from RightHemisphere Most plugins do stuff with the whole image at once. Like Paint Alchemy from Xaos Tools. Maybe you should buy a Wacom table with the money you save on buying Elements. When I did that I received Painter LE for free. And upgraded to a full version because it is very special. I bought Studio Artist as well (some examples are in a recent thread in the 2D forum), a standalone app for the Mac. Take a look at the link, and search with the word 'paint', there are some free or cheap plugins. And all the companies I mention have a .com domain. A lot of plugins can be reproduced within Photoshop, so you can also look for tutorials on the subject. Good luck!

Slynky ( ) posted Fri, 08 February 2002 at 12:22 PM

I wouldn't touch elements with a 10 foot pole. If PS 6.0 is out of reach with the price, move over to Paint shop Pro. I got my graphire, and it came with Elements. I installed it only to find it was a crackerjack box version of photoshop. If you need one of the three, I say photoshop cause its my personal preference, but don' spend money on elements. Get Paint Shop Pro, only a 100$, and even cheaper with a used copy. the upside with Elements is that its a much better deal than the ol Pohop LE versions, but still...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.