Fri, Sep 20, 3:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 3:20 pm)

Subject: Flack Jacket

mertext ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2002 at 11:05 AM · edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 1:06 PM

file_270724.jpg

Thank YOU PhilC. Phil has released an outstanding set of BDU's. But me being the military buff around here felt they needed some more gizmo's, Here is the first completed peice of equipmrnt for your Poser Comandos. A Flack Jacket.

aka MCDLabs
also known as Daniel Merrill a grumpy old disabled Jarhead.
checkout my freebies at
https://www.sharecg.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=mcdlabs

VirtualSite ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2002 at 12:06 PM

Cool! With some minor modification, it'll make a great rodeo flak jacket as well.

palatineknight ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2002 at 2:23 PM

Awesome! With another texture and some minor mods can anyone say SWAT. Were can I get it.

jwkub ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2002 at 2:36 PM

Very nice work ! I am interested in this aswell.

mertext ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2002 at 5:51 PM

This is going to be part of a set of add-ons to be used independantly or with PholC's BDU set. It will include many Textures for the BDU's (US Camie, Tiger stripe, desert) as well as possibly 10 - 15 total. I 2 alternat hats (Marine Corps soft cover and boonie hat) as well as new textures for the existing Beret, Kevlar, and soft cover(Army Type) included in the set. Once completed it will be avaialble in the store at a resonable price, Heck I might even through in a new gun.

aka MCDLabs
checkout my freebies at

Huolong ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 2:44 AM

It's a flak jacket not flack. It's from a german word for anti aircraft. The jacket was first developed for bomber crews in WW2 who flew through 'flak', now used to describe the shell fragments from exploding anti aircraft artillery rounds. BTW; While there are several types of jackets, the one I wore in Vietnam had a collar that rose high on the back of the neck and which had two pockets at chest level each with a snap button. I carried a grenade in each. The jacket did not have shoulder protectors and looked more like a fising vest than a suit of armor. I did see some vests with chain mail on the shoulders ... worn by a chaplain.

Gordon

Jim Burton ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 7:11 AM

Hi Huolong! Gee, the one I wore in Vietnam didn't have a collar, just a simple zipper in the front, I don't remember any pockets, either. There were about 3 or 4 styles if I remember though, most did have the collar and the pockets. I was over there Jan 68 (right after Tet) to Oct 68, I was short when they sent me over. Funny thing is, the current BDUs don't look like a uniform you would actually fight in to me, looks more like something you would wear to a costume party. I guess I'm getting old!

namja1955 ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 9:35 AM

Jim Burton: Did you ever see the report card in the pouch on the inside back of the flak jacket. (I know it's in the new ones and I'm pretty sure it was in the old ones) It's the card that someone is supposed to fill out if the flak jacket actually stops "flak". It's got questions asking about the type of item it stopped, i.e. whether it was a bullet or some other type of fraagmentation. It also wants to know it the wearer survived. The ultimate in customer quality service feedback...

Legume ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 10:37 AM

file_270727.jpg

Here is the current Flak Jacket used by the US, and the type I wore during my hitch in the 80s.

namja1955 ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 11:30 AM

Just out of curiosity, which service?

Legume ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 11:52 AM

US Army, I was 11-Bravo.

VirtualSite ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 12:24 PM

Naval medic here -- the last two years of Nam. What a time.....

namja1955 ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 12:32 PM

USMC - Combat Engineer - (1977-1998)

Jim Burton ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 1:01 PM

I was an 82C20, Artillery Survey, of all things. We surveyed the battery areas before they moved the guns in (a composite battery 8 inch/175 guns). I actually served in my MOS exactly 1 day in 'Nam, mostly I drove a truck or fixed trucks or ran a radio in the ROK division HQ we were attached to. I don't remember that card, though, the vests we had were really old, handed down many times. The card sort of seems like the one on parchutes "If this chute ever fails to open, take it and this card to ..." ;-) You know, Vietnam is getting to be a long time ago, for the young guys here it is farther back in history than WWII was for us.

Legume ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 1:06 PM

Artillery? I thought Viet Nam era soldiers used muskets... ;)

VirtualSite ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 1:54 PM

You know, Vietnam is getting to be a long time ago, for the young guys here it is farther back in history than WWII was for us And that's a good thing, as Martha would say... =) Let's hope Dubya doesn't try to do something stupid, as I keep hearing he might be.

Huolong ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 5:02 PM

Taliban's a bunch of candy asses compared to Charlie. Taliban got B52 strikes from one aircraft, Charlie got six at a pop which blew overlapping instant swimming pools into the jungle in a strip one mile lone and a quarter mile across. Charlie just policed up the area after; Taliban ran. Now no flak jacket or helmet was left unadorned. No flak jacket is complete unless is has been duly sweated, stained, and decorated. 1st Air Cav, I Corps - III Corps, 68-69. Intelligence (Bn & Div)

Gordon

mertext ( ) posted Sat, 16 February 2002 at 12:30 AM

well as for me, 0313 USMC (87-91) yes I was in the gulf, thats an LAV crewman for those of ya that dont know. Yep I forgot about the collar, hell i was trying to do it from memory. I'll slap it back into max and fix it up.

aka MCDLabs
checkout my freebies at

Jim Burton ( ) posted Sat, 16 February 2002 at 12:30 PM

Actually, the 175 gun was quite a weapon, a ultra high velocity cannon designed to fit the same carrage as the 8" self-propelled howitizer. If they fired over your hooch in the compound, the blast effect would bounce you right off your cot, as the dirt dropped all over you from the sand-bagged roof. Ah, those were the days! I think most-all of the cannon cockers destroyed their hearing too, we had little earplugs to wear but you couldn't wear them 24 hours a day. Yeah, there were some intresting decorations on the jackets and helmets too! Happiest day of my life was the day I got out!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.