Thu, Oct 3, 2:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: CONTEST CHALLENGE MANIA!!!

VirtualSite ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 1:26 PM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 2:22 PM

In a thread below, we were discussing whether or not we're artists if all we do is "interior decorate" with props and textures and characters that come to us whole-cloth. It's been, as always, a great discussion, and in the middle of it someone suggested a contest idea, where three items are chosen from Freestuff and you have to make an image out of them. So I'm picking up the ball on that one and running with it. You have seven days, till next Friday at noon, Rsity time, to submit an image in this thread using the following three items. All links have been checked to make sure the items in question are still available, and they are. -- Joerg Weber's "aura" prop -- odenthoflife's "laptop" prop -- eilif's "horse poses" (there are three sets of these, and any pose from any one of the three is acceptable) Obviously, you'll need the Poser horse for this, unless you want to try using those poses on something else (and hey, go for it if you want to). You can use anything else you want, but these three items must figure prominently in the composition. No sneaking them into the background, okay? Front and centre. Yes, there will be a prize, but since I haven't quite decided what it is yet, you'll just have to wait in anticipation of that anouncement. Entries must be posted in this thread. Decision of the judges -- me -- is final. No whining, no matter how much you try to change my mind. Okay, "artists" -- leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet's rumble!

VirtualSite ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 1:28 PM

That's odeathoflife for the laptop.

genny ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 1:35 PM

Now this sounds like a REAL CHALLENGE! I'm off to find the downloads now......and hopefully will be able to come up with something. (: This is soooo much fun! Genny

Kiera ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 1:36 PM

leave it to you to put a horse and a laptop together.. =)

kayjay97 ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 1:44 PM

Oh how cool!! I love a challenge!! Thanks Virtual!!

In a world filled with causes for worry and anxiety...
we need the peace of God standing guard over our hearts and minds.

Jerry McCant

VirtualSite ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 1:53 PM

GRAND PRIZE: ----- a genuine, PDF-printable certificate that announces to one and all that you are indeed an artist, with all the rights and privileges thereunto. ----- a t-shirt texture for the character of your choice (P4Guy, Posette, Michael, or Vicky) from Maury's House of Fine Art Photography ----- and, if you send me your photo, your very own photo shoot at Maury's House of Fine Art Photography And all entries will receive a spcial prize just for having the guts to enter. But that one's a secret (heh heh heh).

Cin- ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 2:49 PM

I already have an idea!

VirtualSite ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 3:09 PM

Okay, since I've gotten a few IMs asking what the photo shoot is. I'm gonna recreate you as best as I can as a Poser character, then plunk you in the middle of Maury's latest saga. What that will be is anyone's guess right now, but you'll be a star, baby!

tonymouse ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 3:19 PM

Sound good to me But I think that there are 4 horse pose packs?? That is what I down loaded?? See you all next friday this will be fun!!

VirtualSite ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 3:31 PM

Ron, you can use any pose you want, as long as it's one of the ones Eilif created.... and yes, I'll be checking. =)

tonymouse ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 3:43 PM

One question is there a limit to the postwork (I use photo shop to clean stuff up) min max??

VirtualSite ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 3:51 PM

Hmm. Tell you what: let's make this a real challenge and a half. NO POST WORK. Pure Poser.

Valandar ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 4:15 PM

Already know what I'm going to do!!! Again, how much post-work can be done?

Remember, kids! Napalm is Nature's Toothpaste!

Valandar ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 4:25 PM

Got it.

tonymouse ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 4:33 PM

Cool no post poser pure and simple (well not simple, really frustrating some times) and wee'er off!!!!!

Cin- ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 4:34 PM

Awww... now I can't use my idea... at least not as I had planned... I can figure out a way to do it though... forsees a lot of transmapped square props in his future

Valandar ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 5:42 PM

Alright, for some reason I can't seem to successfully download the laptop...

Valandar ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 5:47 PM

Gah... it has exceeded its allotted bandwidth. Can't get it today...

Valandar ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 6:23 PM

No luck. I tried normal, right-click/ Save Target As, right click / Open, right-click / Open In New Window... Nothing worked. I only got that stupid HTML message about bandwidth. Hopefully it's not too late for the challenge to be modified to include a different object than the laptop, or for the deadline to be extended so I can actualy GET the #%@&$%* thing...

VirtualSite ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 6:31 PM

Valander, tell you what -- I'll contact Jorge and see if he'll let me distribute the prop for the purpose of the contest.

VirtualSite ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 6:42 PM

Okay, just sent a note to Joerg asking permission to re-distribute the aura prop. If I haven't heard back in 24 hours, I'll change it to another prop (sorry, Ron) and we'll postpone the deadline till Saturday.

Valandar ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 6:42 PM

Coolies, Virtual.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 7:01 PM

Hehe, I already have all these items downloaded. Now, if one of eilif's poses matches the image I have in mind ...

• grins evilly *

... if they don't, is it permissible to slightly modify one of the poses, so long as I use eilif's as the base? Just a slight tilt of the head?

Valandar ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 7:11 PM

Heh, no matter what the third prop/thing is, my idea will work... heheheh... PH33R |/|3 !!!

VirtualSite ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 7:19 PM

I would like to think that the bandwidth issue is because we have a flurry of people who want to submit an entry, and it should clear up by tomorrow. Failing that, here's what we're gonna do. I have in my CDs a laptop model. There's no read-me for it, so I have no idea whose work it is. And for that, more's the pity on their part (Let this be a lesson to you: ALWAYS INCLUDE A READ-ME!). Anyone who can't access odeathoflife's laptop, send me a note, and I'll send you the laptop model I have archived. If someone identifies whose work it is, let me know, so I can add it to the record. It's no doubt off a freebie site and probably isn't posable. Now, having said that, because there's no read-me with it, I can't honestly say if there's any problem with redistribution, but I'm not going to worry about that. As I've stated in other threads, if you can't be bothered to tell me about these things, I ain't chasing you down. So... that okay with everyone? Ron, you're still in, okay?

VirtualSite ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 7:42 PM

I just found the laptop model by odeathoflife in my archives and the read-me has nothing about redistribution. So anyone who can't access it, let me know, and I'll e-mail it to you. Because of all this, deadline is postponed till NOON NEXT SATURDAY.

pokeydots ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 7:45 PM

Thanks I just IM'd you, as I couldn't get it downloaded. This is going to be fun! And nice pic Ron :)

Poser 9 SR3  and 8 sr3
=================
Processor Type:  AMD Phenom II 830 Quad-Core
2.80GHz, 4000MHz System Bus, 2MB L2 Cache + 6MB Shared L3 Cache
Hard Drive Size:  1TB
Processor - Clock Speed:  2.8 GHz
Operating System:  Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
Graphics Type:  ATI Radeon HD 4200
•ATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphics 
System Ram:  8GB 

VirtualSite ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 8:11 PM

And that's how you learn. Hell, Ron, given what you've shared with us over the last few months, building your own poses is gonna be a breeze. And I can't wait to see the book in print.

Strangechilde ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 8:19 PM

Oh, allright... I'll bite.

Strangechilde ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 8:24 PM

Never mind computer can't unzip the laptop file. :(

VirtualSite ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 9:03 PM

I have the file as a zip on my HD and will send it out to anyone having trouble. But thanks, Ron. Much appreciate the offer! Okay, people, get rendering!!! I wanna see horses and auras and laptops, oh my!!!!

Blazerwiccan ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2002 at 10:13 PM

file_273083.jpg

Greetings, This was fun. I am sure I am not even going to be close to winning, but I had fun just the same. Not only cause of the Weird props and poses we had to combine together. But cause I was not allowed to do any post work. Wow that was tuff for me I ALWAYS do at least something in the way of post work for my renders. I am useing a Very slow PC *Don't even ask how much RAM I have you will die laughing and not even understand how I can even run poser lol* *If this has been asked I am sorry I am a blonde and do not rember too well.* Is there a limit of how many images we can submit? Ok On to my attempted image :) Credits: Desk Freebie from DAZ, Female P4 Woman with a texute (like you can really see it lol) from Happy Worldland, Hair from Digital Babes, Joerg Weber's "aura" prop, odenthoflife's "laptop" prop, One of eilif's "horse poses", Lighting is one of BJ's Lights, Swannie's sitting poses for Vicki tweaked a bit for P4 Woman. I think I covered everyone, here's to hopeing I did not leave anyone out. Ok a bit about my image, she sits down at her PC, ready to do some surfing, and what is this?? A horse jumping out of her PC screen at her. :) And VirtualSite Thanks for the fun and for helping me get the laptop. *was going to add my name but then thought wait that is post work lol*

pokeydots ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 12:22 AM

file_273085.jpg

All I could think of was a Critter Cabin! lol Used Sams3D's cabin, dmentia's horse texture, and a couple of brycetechs critters, and of course the 3 required items. Nice image Blazerwiccan :)

Poser 9 SR3  and 8 sr3
=================

VirtualSite ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 1:25 AM

Well, we probably should put a limit of some kind on, even though it's gonna be tough for most to do more than one. Three, max. And we got three very good submissions in less than twelve hours. Keep it up, folks.

DCArt ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 4:06 AM

file_273086.jpg

ROFL Was this ever fun. As soon as I saw this horse pose, the image popped into my mind immediately.

The only "extras" that I used, in addition to those required for the challenge, were a horse texture by Daio, a screen shot of Legume's Magic Pink Pony displayed in the Renderosity gallery (I hope he doesn't mind, but it was a MUST for this picture ... hehehehe), and a smiling horsey head morph that I did myself.

Great challenge. I'd LOVE to see a Poser challenge/project of the week along this line!

Denise

DCArt ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 4:15 AM

PS - Kinda gives a new meaning to the word "laptop" doesn't it? 8-D Denise

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 5:16 AM

file_273087.jpg

*"Bad horse! Go to your room! I'll be back. Amen."*

Laptop : odeathoflife
Aura : Joerg Weber
"Dance" Horse Pose : eilif
Stable : RealDeal
Arabian head morph : kaciasea
Horse textures : Carol UK, Jessica Riggs, and Mock

You guys do realize that by the time deadline arrives, this thread will be sunk so deep in the archives that we'll need a bathyscaphe to reach it ....

chohole ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 6:23 AM

file_273089.jpg

Talk about VR >>> that things alive, it just zapped me. texture on horse from Pieran piaffe. texture on nerds backdrop by me, plus file specified

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

Niles ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 7:18 AM

file_273090.jpg

MOOOoooooo Over, The New GrATEWAY Horse Pose- Ellifs Texture- "Pinto" Pierian Piaffe Laptop- Odenthoflifes No Texture Aura- Joerg Webers (scale 1180) Ground Texture and trans- "Aura" Joerg Webers (scale 125) CD- Odenthoflifes Texture- "me" No Postwork Thanks to all... I love the Pinto Texture Niles

genny ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 8:41 AM

file_273091.jpg

OK, Heres' Mine! Horse and textures by Daz Laptop by Odenthoflifes Aura by Joerg Weber Fly by Brycetech Stable by Sams3D Stool by Virtual Furniture Poses by Ellifs The aura was used on the fly's eyes after making them transparent. Title for my image is: BugsBeGone

Thank you for doing this, I always enjoy these things, when I have the time to participate. (:

Genny

genny ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 10:57 AM

Ron, I don't mean any offense, but...........where does a horse live, other than a stable? (: Genny

pokeydots ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 12:35 PM

Wow, there are some great renders going on here :) You are all doing fantastic :) Ron, my horse is in a Cabin :)

Poser 9 SR3  and 8 sr3
=================

kayjay97 ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 12:47 PM

file_273094.jpg

Cool it dude....... I am beginning to blow my top... no one told you to break your step ladder and wait until a Friday night for me to order another. Laptop by Odenthoflifes Aura by Joerg Weber Pose by Ellifs Daz Horse and Diao texture Mike 2 and Eirian ogre mat and Cath's Dariusz tex Nerd's backdrop and background

In a world filled with causes for worry and anxiety...
we need the peace of God standing guard over our hearts and minds.

Jerry McCant

VirtualSite ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 1:49 PM

I must confess I thought the concept or theme of this challenge was rather strange. Hey, it's my contest. What'd ya expect? =) And, yes, how many variations on such a theme can one have? Well, given what we've seen to date, so far about eight. And that's just the first day. Render on, folks!

pokeydots ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 1:51 PM

Going to give it another try! :)

Poser 9 SR3  and 8 sr3
=================

JVRenderer ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 2:07 PM

No post work??? dammit, not fair, I am a newbie... technically challenged in poser... hmm.. howbout some pre work?? Would you accept pre work. For example: custom textures and custom background?? JV

Software: Daz Studio 4.15,  Photoshop CC, Zbrush 2022, Blender 3.3, Silo 2.3, Filter Forge 4. Marvelous Designer 7

Hardware: self built Intel Core i7 8086K, 64GB RAM,  RTX 3090 .

"If you spend too much time arguing about software, you're spending too little time creating art!" ~ SomeSmartAss

"A critic is a legless man who teaches running." ~ Channing Pollock

My Gallery  My Other Gallery 

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 2:10 PM

I thought I'd have somethig original. Now look at how many horses in a stable with a computer we have.

I was going to put mine in the shower, but she just wouldn't fit.

Besides, that laptop isn't waterproofed.

Maximum of three images per individual, huh? This is going to be a long thread. :)

VirtualSite ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 2:17 PM

JVR: prework is fine. I would imagine we all have to do some sort of prework to get the textures we want, right? LD: maybe you need to change the size of the shower? And the laptop can be waterproof if you say it's waterproof, right? =)

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 2:20 PM
  • shrugs * Wouldn't matter. St. Arnie has this issue with getting his halo wet ....

Valandar ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 4:05 PM

file_273097.jpg

Forget Miss Cleo!!! Here's Saint Ed, with his INTERNET CONNECTION to GOD!!! Call now, and Saint Ed can e-mail God, and get answers to your greatest dillemas right now! Horse pose, laptop, and halo props are the subjects of the contest... Nerd's BD tool by Nerd... (duh 8-D)... Horse Robe and texture by me (took like 5 mins)...

Hiram ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2002 at 4:22 PM

Jeez! You guys are getting a great start. I can't wait to get home tonight and... DAMN!! I have a date with my girlfriend. Oh well. She's just going to have to understand.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.