Sat, Sep 21, 7:53 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Need a bit of advice from the PS pros :)

Maygen ( ) posted Sun, 17 February 2002 at 12:02 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 7:53 AM

file_275078.jpg

"The Mind's Eye." Been working on this for a few days now and I'm so close to being finished that it hurts heh. I've added and taken away but no matter what I do I cant seem to mesh the background with the foreground better than it presently is. Also cant seem to make the lighting look unified. Any thoughts for improvement?

Maygen ( ) posted Sun, 17 February 2002 at 12:03 PM

At last count there were 11 images here. Maybe a bit too many??

bevchiron ( ) posted Sun, 17 February 2002 at 12:12 PM

This is fascinating Maygen, one you need to look at for ages & see more & more. I can't offer photoshop advice but I think the way the colour of the seagull draws the eye to the background & makes sense of it works really well. Maybe you could add just a hint of that colour to the light on the edges of the bear to tie it in even more? For me the figure doesn't work yet, it looks a bit flat & stuck on... don't know how to fix that sorry! I think you are doing a great job here : )

elusive.chaos

"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star...." (Nietzsche)

Maygen ( ) posted Sun, 17 February 2002 at 12:27 PM

file_275079.jpg

Ahhh you were soo right about the bear and I didnt even think of that. Funny thing is that was one of the few objects that was actually in the photo to begin with lol. I guess I changed the dynamics around it too much to not pay it any attention. This is just a quick fix on the bear but you're right its already starting to tie in a little better.

bevchiron ( ) posted Sun, 17 February 2002 at 12:54 PM

That really works, the colour tie in with the shadow below the bear really works to pull it together now too.

elusive.chaos

ASalina ( ) posted Sun, 17 February 2002 at 1:01 PM

As an experiment I increased the brightness and contrast a bit on the child and then used unsharp masking in order to darken and crispen her up. That seemed to help fit her into the scene better. It was just a quick test, so you might find that playing with the saturation, etc. might work even better. I think also the mushrooms in the upper left of the image need to re-placed because they seem to be lit from a different angle than their adjacent objects. Other than that I think it's a very good surreal, dreamlike image.

PunkClown ( ) posted Sun, 17 February 2002 at 1:35 PM

I wish I wasn't on night shift, I may be able to think a bit clearer! The bear's looking better! In situations where i'm trying to get a unified lighting direction, I sometimes use render>lighting effects in the filters menu...sometimes works for me, sometimes not! Cute image though! :-)>

Rork1973 ( ) posted Sun, 17 February 2002 at 2:24 PM

I've never been a fan of those hard cut-out lines, so maybe (and that's not critisism, but just a personal opinion :) a little softer lines by fading the images into eachother would make it a little more special ? Just don't get stuck in thoughts that people/objects should have be on there completely, cut out very precisely. I never use anything else than cloning one image into another (seperate layer) with a soft, large brush. It helps working on the images first (changing backgrounds, etc) before putting them into your final work. Also, more of an idea, try to bring back copies of layers you already used to let part run over front layers. Like for instance taking your bridge photo, and make certain objects (that logically should be at the front) fall behind certain elements of the bridge (which is the object that is far away). Or like letting one of the bridge's pillars run in front of the table, instead of behind it. But cloning instead of wasting hours on cutting stuff out would be an improvement generally to people's work without any doubt.

Maygen ( ) posted Sun, 17 February 2002 at 6:38 PM

Thanks for the tips. I'll post again when I've done some updates.

Rork1973 ( ) posted Sun, 17 February 2002 at 6:41 PM

Well, just some humble ideas....forgot to say I really like the photo, well, I do....lol =)

agate88 ( ) posted Sun, 17 February 2002 at 9:49 PM

Try using the filter Render Lighting Effect and try altering the appearance of the light direction on the bear. That and the mushrooms stand out the most as not fitting in properly into the lighting scheme. The mushrooms are so far off you might want to scrap them and replace them. Also the bird could use some key light. The childs feet should be more in shadows. The wings works well, but try to shadow them lower where the child's body would be blocking more of the light. Fun image!

Maygen ( ) posted Sun, 17 February 2002 at 11:20 PM

file_275080.jpg

I cant believe I actually had the time to mess around and have some fun w/ this image and a few others today -- rare treat :).

Heres how its coming along. I think I'm through w/ it for the night my eyes are starting to cross lol :) Maybe a few more tips, another day of working and this will be finished. Hope I dont burn myself out on it by then :D.

bevchiron ( ) posted Sun, 17 February 2002 at 11:56 PM

It's worth all the effort Maygen, you are doing great! I would say though (imho) don't over do the overall lighting effect so that nothing stands out & you lose that surreal look. Don't want to make life too easy for you ; D

elusive.chaos

bsteph2069 ( ) posted Mon, 18 February 2002 at 8:19 AM

Oh yeah it's much better. The lighting is all comming from the same direction and you daughter does not look quite so drugged. I also like the face on the floor. Nice touch! This is actually kinda fun. I love turning the printer into a Star Trek Seat of Power! Thanks for sharing. Bsteph

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.