Fri, Sep 20, 7:34 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: aiming a spot light?

kathyb ( ) posted Sun, 17 February 2002 at 5:49 AM ยท edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 9:51 PM

I never use spotlights in Bryce ... why?

cause i find it impossible to aim them.

For example, in 3d max, you can view where the spotlight
is going. ( this is not any easy option to figure out though, but works great. )

How do you all aim a spotlight in bryce? ( 5 )

exasperated. thanks alot.

Kathy

airflamesred ( ) posted Sun, 17 February 2002 at 5:55 AM

not sure what you mean select it and change coordinates

kathyb ( ) posted Sun, 17 February 2002 at 6:14 AM

Well, I do that, but it's hopeless. The damn thing turns all over the place - I cant even tell where its pointing. Is there any MARKER where its pointing at - that works? In max - and I'm sure others - you can VIEW where the spot light is aiming. works great there. I read other posts where byrce people dont use spotlights either - is this why? cause they s*ck big time?

Stephen Ray ( ) posted Sun, 17 February 2002 at 8:03 AM

On the spot lights attributes menu, go to the linking tab and set the Track Object Name to an object where you want the spot light to shine. May not be the answer to all situations, but it is for some.

Stephen Ray

Alleycat169 ( ) posted Sun, 17 February 2002 at 11:45 AM

You have 3DMaxitis. Aiming lights in Bryce is a piece of cake. After you create your light select the "Edit" palette at the top of the window. This allows you to move the light one axis at a time. It also helps if you select orthographic views when aiming each axis, ie: side, front, top. Bryce offers several ways of doing just about everything. You are trying to do it the way it is done in 3DMax, which is wrong for Bryce. If you read the manual, simple things like moving lights and objects on their axis, are explained and illustrated. I have been using Bryce since version 2 and I have never had a problem aiming a spotlight. In fact I use them all the time. Don't try using Bryce like 3DMax and you will have fewer problems. As a friend of mine is fond of telling me "It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools". The software works just fine and the lights don't "suck bigtime", you just don't have a feel for them yet.

Aldaron ( ) posted Sun, 17 February 2002 at 11:51 AM

Also use your nano-preview window to see where it's aiming. On the light object in the wireframe view there is a line coming out one end, this is the end the light comes out of. Point that line to where you want the light to shine and you shouldn't have any problems.

Alleycat169 ( ) posted Sun, 17 February 2002 at 12:29 PM

file_273745.jpg

Here's an example of how to aim lights in Bryce the easy way. Many people use the "grab and pull" method of aiming lights and camera. To me that method is imprecise and hard to control. Using the "Edit" menu is the best and most accurate way to move, rotate, scale and aim any light, object or camera in Bryce one axis at a time. You can even aim whole rows of lights as one (as shown in figure 4). I hope this helps eliminate your frustration and confusion. Good luck. ;-)

kathyb ( ) posted Mon, 18 February 2002 at 6:26 PM

Wow, thanks for all the help everybody! That was really terrific of you! Great tutorial there. I'm starting to get the hang of it now. Kathy

kathyb ( ) posted Mon, 18 February 2002 at 6:26 PM

Wow, thanks for all the help everybody! That was really terrific of you! Great tutorial there. I'm starting to get the hang of it now. Kathy

Alleycat169 ( ) posted Mon, 18 February 2002 at 8:35 PM

Hey, you're welcome! Hey, you're welcome! ;-) Glad I could help.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.