Sat, Sep 21, 9:18 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: A Ferry in the Bay...

PunkClown ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 3:35 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 9:16 AM

file_275932.jpg

This is a picture of the Williamstown Ferry, on a perfect afternoon... I'm fairly sure I'll enter this as my Feb calendar entry...what do you think good people? :-)>

PunkClown ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 3:38 AM

ooop, couple of artifacts there that need cleaning, and I think the border may be too big...hmmm

PunkClown ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 3:47 AM

file_275934.jpg

Ok, played with it a bit and removed the colour for all you B&W fans!!

starshuffler ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 4:12 AM

Ooooo I like the b/w version better Punky! Enter, enter, enter! (*

JordyArt ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 4:57 AM

aw, man - nice pic - but this is confusing me....... Not dissing your pic, coz it really is good, but my interpretation of texture is something that you can actually touch and feel or see and your brain interpret (imagine) how it feels when touched..... I may be way out. eg. stone=rough, glass=smooth, clouds you imagine to feel 'fluffy' as your brain (my brain?!?) interprets as cotton-wool like. While I see the texture in yours as the water my brain says 'wet', and I see the pic as more of a representation of light and shadow than texture. Am I making sense or have I got a different interpretation of this theme?!? HELP!!! Cheers Mike.

DarkPenumbra ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 5:09 AM

Here, I just stole one of my brother's cinematography textbooks (it's what cleared it up for me too, JordyA - because I thought the same as you at first). :) Texture: The visual and tactile quality of the surface of an object, revealed in a photograph by variances in tone, depth and shape. Lighting has the most influence over how well texture is captured in an image. BTW, very nice pic, PC.. you guys have such different views of February than I do, though. grin - darkpen

JordyArt ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 5:25 AM

SORRY PUNKY, IGNORE ME!!!! I failed to read your caption correctly, and thought this was a texture entry, not a calender one........ Slap me with a wet haddock! (",)

Rork1973 ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 5:27 AM

Oh, PC, this is such a beautiful photo!

PunkClown ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 5:29 AM

LOL! It's for the Calendar entry Jordy...not the texture comp! I don't know...it's coming up to autumn here...this just feels February to me! There were balmy breezes sea spray in the air... thanks everyone! :-)>

DarkPenumbra ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 5:32 AM

Enh, I'm just bitter because the river's still frozen over. :P - darkpen

Michelle A. ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 6:59 AM

I like them both....the color image has a wonderful softness to the sky that I really like....in the b&w the clouds have almost disappeared.

I am, therefore I create.......
--- michelleamarante.com

Antoonio ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 7:41 AM

...I agree A-man, colored one is somehow more moody. Normally I dig b&w pics, but here, colors work. .n

Misha883 ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 7:47 AM

Good job, PC.

PunkClown ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 9:25 AM

Thanks people...the more I look at it the more i lean towards the colour version too. I appreciate the feedback...

gunsan ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 11:56 AM

I give the color version my vote to, both are very good, but the colour one has so much atmpsphere and softness that lacks in the bw version which feels "harder"

bevchiron ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 12:32 PM

Great image PC, I'm going to be awkward & suggest a slight tint in between the two, to save the sky would be cool ; )

elusive.chaos

"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star...." (Nietzsche)

ASalina ( ) posted Wed, 20 February 2002 at 12:52 PM

I like the color version the best, especially because of the deep blue of the water in the foreground, changing into bronze from the reflected sunlight moving toward the background. The color also seems to give the image more definition somehow. Yeah, that shade of blue in the foreground is very attractive to me.

doruksal ( ) posted Thu, 21 February 2002 at 1:30 AM

I guess this is a digital camera shot...
IMHO, the resolution of this shot doesn't work for the colored version as it produces a much too colorful texture on the pic, esp. in the parts of the pic that are above the horizon.
Still, I have to admit that the silhouette of the ferry and its immediate neighbours do look attractive in the colored one.

Well, to cut a long story short, I liked the b/w version beter... :) [Was not so hard to say this after all... :)]

PunkClown ( ) posted Thu, 21 February 2002 at 3:08 AM

Dear Doruk, this is actually taken with my SLR using Kodak Gold ASA 400. Apeture priority shot with the f-stop somewhere between 18 and 22, I forget, I was snapping quite a few shots (of which this one was really the only decent one of a whole roll!) Sorry I should have mentioned these things earlier!;-)> So the colourful texture is either a product of the grain of the film, or a product of the scanning and subsequent optimization and jpegging...Anybody know more about this?...I must download that demo of the digital artifact cleaning program mentioned in an earlier thread, see if it helps. Alpha, did you get any good results with it? Thanks again all for your comments, I've posted the B&W in the gallery, but I think I'll put the coloured one in the calander comp..after I've "cleaned" it a bit..

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.