Sat, Sep 21, 3:20 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: What is a good tablet

pjanak ( ) posted Thu, 06 January 2000 at 4:06 PM ยท edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 1:07 PM

? I can't draw a damn thing in > photoshop with a mouse. Any > recommendations for a great tablet at very low cost. > I've seen one in > CompUSA but its mainly a toy for kids as far as I > can tell. It comes bundled > with Metacreations GOO. Hey I just thought of > something. Anyone make a pen > that is great and doesn't need a tablet? What is the > main purpose of a > tablet anyway. I mean, is it there just to provide > the computer with a way > to "track" the pen?

LoboUK ( ) posted Fri, 07 January 2000 at 6:33 AM

Try Wacom for graphics tablets, they produce an excellent range with some really superb add-on bits. As far as I know, you need a tablet for exactly the reason you've said - to track the position of the pen. The only other way would be one of those touch-sensitive screens. You've got to have someway of telling the computer where the pen is. Hope this is of some help Paul

Chrisa ( ) posted Fri, 07 January 2000 at 8:07 AM

Get the Wacom Intous I have the small one (4X5)and its perfect for PhotoShop. They just updated their drivers so that the cordless mouse (about $60) works properly... at last. An outstanding product (it's my third tablet) Christine

Jim Burton ( ) posted Sun, 09 January 2000 at 10:35 PM

Tablets are position acurate, wher mice just wobble a little ball and push the cursor more-or-less in the direction you want to go. The spot on the tablet will match a spot on the screen every time. Tablets were originally for CAD, but they work well in PhotoShop (even better in Fractal Paint though), all modern ones are pressure sensitive, - as you push "in" you gat another control, typically set to brush width. I have one of the original Wacom 6 x 9" tablets they used to bundled with Fractal Paint (version 2, BTW, so it's pretty old), I still use it all the time in Photoshop. You need the tablet do the computer knows where the pen is- the pen is just a hunk of plastice with a magnet (oe something!) and a spring.

harold_u ( ) posted Mon, 10 January 2000 at 8:59 AM

I've looked at their web page, I was looking into getting one, but they are a little expensive. Are they worth the money? Are their any other inexpensive tablets that will do just as good etc?

Chrisa ( ) posted Mon, 10 January 2000 at 10:16 AM

Wacom's are far and away the best. Wacom has just released a new tablet 4X5 with stylus and cordless mouse. It costs about $100! I know nothing of it... however if it's a Wacom it's probably OK! Christine

Jim Burton ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2000 at 10:25 PM

I'd say they are worth the money, if you are going to use them in PhotoShop or Painter or whatever. The only disadvantage to them is the "button" doesn't work as good as a mouse, mine doesn't have any button at all in fact, and they really can't handle right button clicks, not to mention 3rd button clicks and wheel moves that I can do with my Logitech mouse- so you still need to use a mouse at times.

Chrisa ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2000 at 4:02 PM

I have a 19 inch Hitachi monitor (the first 19 to be produced) It's entirely acceptable and I have little desire for a 21. However I would like to get a totaly flat screen. Sony has a hi-end 19 which is just wonderful!! Christine

Jim Burton ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2000 at 11:08 PM

I agree totally about the larger monitor, I've got a 19" Mag (the XJ810), I'm very happy with the display. It was also only about $400, I remember paying over a grand for a NEC Plus (worthless) and my first 17", too.

Chrisa ( ) posted Thu, 27 January 2000 at 8:00 AM

Re dual monitors. You can use seperate cards (AGP/PCI or PCI/PCI) to drive two different monitors. I believe there are advantages to this approach over using the dual head Matrox. Just check the Windows help file for instructions regarding this option. Christine

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.