Sun, Sep 22, 3:44 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 7:30 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: chains again

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Sun, 09 January 2000 at 4:44 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 1:22 AM

Some of the entries in Renderotica would bring to some the need to get chains right. The movement of each link against the next is complicated, but if the chain is vertical, an approximation would be for it to have one rotation center when xrot'ing and another rotation center when zrot'ing. Poser (at least Poser 3) 's joint parameter window is set up as if only one center can be defined per joint. But if I look in a .CR2 file, each segment has 3 places for specifying centers: one each in that segment's 3 channels twistY, jointX, jointZ. What would happen if I text-edited the .CR2 file to have these 3 centers not all the same in the same segment? Obeyed, ignored, or would it make Poser malfunction badly? Would it be preserved if I loaded and saved the model?

Cage ( ) posted Mon, 10 January 2000 at 9:36 PM

I have a sinking feeling that you mean the latex cocoon suit. I'm just posting here so I, too, will find out the answer, which I obviously need....

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

Anthony Appleyard ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2000 at 2:22 AM

No. I meant chains of metal links in as e.g. dockside crane. But as regards a "cocoon suit", if that means adapting a figure by moving each vertex out along its normal by a set amount to produce the effect of a thick rubber suit, well, I had the same when making my Gerry Anderson UFO alien in a spacesuit model to allow for thickness of spacesuit and undersuit, and the only place where I found significant misbehavior was between his thighs when I stood him with his legs apart, and I cured that by switching the relevant joint parameter off (the one that is defined by the big red and green loops). I had the same to less amount with my "man in diving suit" model.

Cage ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2000 at 8:01 PM

I would like to know more about the rotation orders and other arcane joint parameter matters. Is there a tutorial out there? Sorry to be so self-centered! Oopsie. I would still like to know the answer to your question....

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

twoblade ( ) posted Fri, 24 March 2000 at 9:59 PM

I built a poseable chain, and tried similar to what you are suggesting. There are some things in the CR2 that, unless they are edited with the right editor (Notepad or wordpad not being right) will corrupt, making the CR2 unuseable, or making the figure go haywire. It is best, at least from my view, to create the figure yourself, and see what you can do in editing it. I have posted my chains in bothe Renederotica and Renderosity, They are free for use and you can use them to study. I also built a tutorial on how to build them yourselves. You can check the tutorial out at http://jupiter.spaceports.com/~omnitut/poser/index.html. It should cover the basics. I am working on a longer set, they just require a lot more editing.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.