Fri, Sep 20, 9:39 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: Friendly Reminder :) BACK UP YOUR STUFF NOW!

dlfurman ( ) posted Fri, 01 March 2002 at 5:06 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 9:38 AM

Back up your POSER files folks! I can gleefully say this as a very kind soul purchased a CR/RW for me. (I guess they got tired of me talking about needing one.) After suffering 2 bad crashes, and hoping a HDD can survive until I can save my stuff. SO! If you haven't done so, or you keep putting it off, DONT!! Backup your stuff now! This Poser Public Service announcement brought to you by the Association of New CD/RW Users and Poserholics Anonymous!

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 01 March 2002 at 5:26 PM

My files are backed up in triplicate. I really should buy my own CD-burner, though, and stop borrowing my neighbor's. I'm hoping the price of DVD-burners will drop soon; the discs are certainly cheap enough now.

ookami ( ) posted Fri, 01 March 2002 at 5:32 PM

I just picked up a DVD-RW for about $280. It does EVERYTHING... and the DVD-RAM discs go up to 9.4 GB. Only need 3 of them to backup all my poser stuff!

rain ( ) posted Fri, 01 March 2002 at 5:32 PM

My 3 month old HD just died and I'm thankful I had most of my stuff burnt on to CDs (now where did I put them?! :). It's a major pain to have to reinstall everything but it would be a hundred times worse if I didn't have them on CDs. And I have mine triple burnt. I'm nervous about a CD going bad on me so I'm a wee bit neurotic!

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 01 March 2002 at 5:48 PM

Oh, good, an early-adopter guinea pig! ookami, let me know how well that DVD-burner works for you. I'm interested in finding out if the rewritable DVD media has the same stability problems as CD-RW.

I do not want to record my own digital video copies of Smallville and Dark Angel only to find out, three months later, that the discs have rotted.

Marque ( ) posted Fri, 01 March 2002 at 5:50 PM

No doubt, I'm interested as well. I have so much stuff now that even if I go by character it's more than one CD. Marque

ookami ( ) posted Fri, 01 March 2002 at 5:57 PM

So far it works great. No problems... it's like a giant floppy or zip disk. I had a CD-RW but had problems with it... no problems thus far with the DVD-RAM. I bought a Toshiba 2002 unit. I DID have to buy special software to make it work though. So if you buy a bare drive... be prepared to dish out another $80 or so to get the software to let you use it.... or just buy a combo.

davidm ( ) posted Fri, 01 March 2002 at 8:01 PM

Yep, backing up is VERY GOOD advice! It may be a pain, but well worth the effort. A few days ago, my sister's PC just mangled it's registry for no apparent reason!...Not good. :-( Dave

Butch ( ) posted Fri, 01 March 2002 at 8:40 PM

I have had so many computer crashes in the last year and the first of this year, that I lost count. I save everything on my CDBurner. Thank goodness for that. I have something like 24 CDs of stuff that I have download or backed up. Hopefully in the next few months I will be getting another computer. Thought about a DVDburner, but has the industry settled on a format yet? I keep reading reports bout 2 or 3 different standards, kind of like the old beta vs VHS contest.

sting38 ( ) posted Fri, 01 March 2002 at 10:43 PM

I put a 2nd hard drive as slave then make an image of C: drive. That way all my work is saved. Costs $100 is ezey to do.

el_jefe52 ( ) posted Fri, 01 March 2002 at 11:20 PM

Guess I just must be paranoid. Poser Files backed up on 4 Hard Drives, and 3 sets of backup CD's. Lost too much info from HD crashes. My "habit" is too important to loose again. grin Robin

jwkub ( ) posted Sat, 02 March 2002 at 11:47 AM

I dont need no stinking backusp ! LOL just joking, I am the "you need to back your data up"posterchild ! One of my 100gb hard drives took a dump on me last weekend and i lost alot of data ,all my projects i was working on for community release. I am just now able to talk about it without and major emotional eruption. Tape backup is DEAD , long live the CD. CD are the best way to go , cheap and easy but small in size.By far the most cost effective solution at the moment. A back up HD WILL eventually fail its in their nature. Perhaps a really short term solution at best. Bleeding edge DVD burners are at the moment really expensive and the standard was JUST now agreed upon my the powers that be. large media and costly all together at the moment, but that will change... How else are we going to be able to backup out 100+ gb harddrives. I mean really we are aproaching the 200gb retail HD and DVD can only handle like 4.7gb. They are working on larger capacity DVD media but thats a ways off still. Well its back to the drawing board for me May all your data be safe and happy rendering, Jeff

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.