Fri, Sep 20, 4:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 4:32 pm)

Subject: View window problem - Has anyone else ever seen this?

TheDaedalus ( ) posted Thu, 07 March 2002 at 5:02 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 4:31 PM

For some reason, Poser has stopped working properly. When I open the program, it loads all the way to the normal workplace screen, but the view window is very small, and when I expand it, it just expands into white space. Also, I can't view the model in the window anymore. I can use the various tools to 'select' parts of the body, but I can't see them in the view window.

Just two days ago, Poser worked perfectly. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but it didn't help at all. I've contacted Curious Labs, but thought that maybe I would ask here as well. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Aaron

bloodsong ( ) posted Thu, 07 March 2002 at 6:59 PM

heyas; are the background and foreground colours set to white? just a thought. you probably want to go to the options and set it back to 'launch to factory state' and restart it, then arrange everything back the way you like it and re-save the 'launch to preferred state.' deal.

TheDaedalus ( ) posted Thu, 07 March 2002 at 7:17 PM

Hey, Nah, I leave the background to be it's original color. Well, I tried this, and I am still getting the same exact problem - can't see the model at all, and the view window isn't working properly. Thanks anyway, though, Bloodsong! Aaron

Strangechilde ( ) posted Thu, 07 March 2002 at 7:45 PM

When you reinstalled, did you do a complete uninstall first? I understand not all uninstalls are equal. I have no idea what's causing this problem, but it sounds like some file somewhere is corrupted. Are you on Mac or PC? If PC, I'm afraid I have little further to offer. If on a Mac, try trashing the preferences and restarting? You may have to reenter your serial number.

TheDaedalus ( ) posted Thu, 07 March 2002 at 7:56 PM

When I uninstalled, the only option available was a complete one. I actually deleted the program group (I'm using a PC) as well, thinking that same thing (maybe there was a corrupted file), but it still didn't help. The one other option I came up with was a fault in the registry information for the program, but for the life of me I couldn't find any entry at all. Thank you very much for your help, Strangechilde! At this point, if I could just get Poser working again, I'd be willing to enter my serial number 50 times! ;) Thanks again, Aaron

Nukeboy ( ) posted Thu, 07 March 2002 at 10:29 PM

Do you have Tweak UI? If you do, run it from the Control Panel and under the Repair tab use "Repair Reg Edit" (You can get Tweak UI from Microsoft) Also, if in doubt, after you uninstall, go to regedit and search for "poser", "curious labs", "metacreations", etc and delete those references before you reinstall. Be warned, tho- playing with the registry is a fools errand and I won't be held responsible for your having to completely reinstall windows!!! ;-)

EricTorstenson ( ) posted Thu, 07 March 2002 at 10:30 PM

When you reinstalled, was the ..../curious labs/poser directory tree still intact? If there was a file that got corrputed and was showing a later date than the one in the install, Poser installer might very well have chosen to leave the more recent one (or the version number got corrupted and seemed more recent) Try renaming your root poser directory to something recognizable (like curious labs.orig) and do the installation as if you had never installed it. Also, if you are using windows, run scandisk and defrag before you install. If you are using mac, you can find a lot of problems using Norton's tools if they are avaiable to you. Just some thoughts, eric

TheDaedalus ( ) posted Thu, 07 March 2002 at 10:44 PM

Nukeboy - I don't have Tweak UI, but I find regedit to be about as helpful in these situations. Although I can't believe it myself, I don't believe Poser creates reg entries, as none of them exist in any program directory, or come up in a search. Thanks, though! Eric - After uninstalling, I deleted the main "Curious Labs" directory entirely. I don't keep my actual poser files in there, so I decided that it just wouldn't be that big of a deal to reinstall everything. I haven't thought of running scandisk or defrag yet - I'll definitely look into that! Pretty much the only other thing I can come up with at this point is that some config or DLL file in the Windows directory itself (or system32, whatever!) has become corrupted, and for some reason (maybe because it is shared (maybe why it became corrupted in the first place?)) isn't getting uninstalled along with the rest of Poser. If that's true, however, I'm screwed. At any rate, thank you so much for your suggestions! Aaron

EricTorstenson ( ) posted Thu, 07 March 2002 at 10:53 PM

Which version of windows are you using? If you are using windows 2000, you should be able to re-aply SP2, and check for any additional posts since the release of SP2 (I think there is a rollup). Not sure about XP. For 9x, there is a single file which will bring you dlls up to the visual studio sp5 version (only those controls used by default visual studio and MFC). This should work if the problem is one of the standard ones, but I don't remember the name, and won't be at work until the morning to find out. eric

TheDaedalus ( ) posted Thu, 07 March 2002 at 11:36 PM

Yeah, I'm using XP. I guess I could always reformat and start again, but that is seriously not something that I have much time to do right now, and I really don't have the desire either! ;) Thanks again(!), Eric! Aaron

EricTorstenson ( ) posted Fri, 08 March 2002 at 12:08 AM

The file would work for any M$ windows product, but the service packs are more reliable. Not sure what options you have with XP. Does it have the "Restore" option like ME?

poserfool ( ) posted Fri, 08 March 2002 at 6:19 AM

After you unintall, delete the Poser folder(s) Clean out the recycle bin. Run scandisk and defrag. Reboot the computer! That's easier than reinstalling Poser 20 times, or wiping your whole hard drive. Do you have any good utilities like Norton Systemworks, Cleansweep, etc?

diegos ( ) posted Mon, 22 April 2002 at 8:23 AM

Hi Aaron, I know its two month since you have this problem but I came to the forum because yesterday I have the same problem. Do you solve it? How? The problem in my computer appeared when I try to render in 4090x4090 pixels and it told me that I have the disk full to render at that resolution, and when I exit Poser and enter again it has the problem. I have 3.5Gb and 8Gb in the other disk free. And before yesterday I can render at 4090x4090 pixels without a problem. I cant connect to the Internet because my ISP has a mayor problem. YESTERDAY WAS A VERY BAD DAY! I try everything, reinstaling an old Poser version, and the problem was still there, reinstalling Poser 4.03, and the problem was still there, reinstalling Poser Pro Pack and the problem was still there, uninstalling all Pro Pack and Poser, deleting the all the directories, restarting the computer, reinstalling everithing and.... the problem was still there. I reinstall windows 2000, and reinstall Poser and the problem was gone. :-) I lost all my afternoon. I was crazy, walkiing in my walls. I start rendering again, it cant render at 4090x4090, and the third time I try it it appeared your problem again. I was going CRAZY thinking if I have to reinstall all again. Before doing anything else, I delete some temporary files, in the folders Temp and Tmp in my root directory and in all the folders Temp and Tmp that I found in the "Documents and Settings" directory. I restart the computer and.... the problem was gone!!!!!! I still have the rendering problem, I cant render more than 1500x1500 pixels, I have 3.5Gb in C: and 8Gb in D: and Poser tells me that I dont have disk space to render at that resolution. Its not a memory problem I think, I have 800Mb memory free. Diego

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.