Fri, Sep 20, 3:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Why is Vue trying to access the Internet?

Moonbiter ( ) posted Sun, 24 March 2002 at 8:54 PM · edited Mon, 16 September 2024 at 8:13 PM

file_1802.jpg

I took this screen about a month ago. Since then I haven't used Vue a whole lot til this weekend and I forgot about it. So far today I've gotten this message 5 times. It looks like it might be trying a 'broadcast' message from the IP but I'm not up enough on this to be sure. Anyone know why it is doing this? Is it one of those check things or just an oddity? -Moon

Jackson ( ) posted Sun, 24 March 2002 at 8:59 PM

I used Norton Firewall and have never had that alert. Are you on a network? Mayhaps Vue is trying to access that?

Jackson ( ) posted Sun, 24 March 2002 at 8:59 PM

I meant I use Norton Firewall. Sheese, why can't we edit our messages?

jstro ( ) posted Sun, 24 March 2002 at 10:24 PM

Poser does that but Vue never has on my system. I use Zone Alarm too. Interesting. Maybe it's trying to do an on-line registration? I think I registered on line, so said yes the first time that came up, and did my registration. But since then it has never prompted for permission again. So maybe until you either say yes and register, or tell it to always say no, you keep getting asked? jon

~jon
My Blog - Mad Utopia Writing in a new era.

Buffer ( ) posted Sun, 24 March 2002 at 11:38 PM

That looks mighty odd. 255 is usually a reserved range in any IP scheme, and very very seldom does anyone actually use 255 in the 4th octect much less the second and third. Are you on a home LAN, if so is that the IP range you are using? I ask this because the IP it is going to is a non responsive one and the tracert stops at my hosts DNS server.

yggdrasil ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 1:12 AM

I got one of these messages the first time as well, but since the address in my case was within my network my network subnet I just said no and ignored it. So far it hasn't happened again. -- Mark

Mark

gebe ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 3:56 AM

You maybe could ask to e-on why yhis happens ?

MikeJ ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 6:17 AM

I've seen it a couple of times, too. I asked Steve about it and he seemed very surprised. A bug, maybe? In any event, doesn't that show a LAN search, instead of an internet search?

Moonbiter ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 2:32 PM

Well I admit to being really fuzzy on my Network Essentials training, but I seem to remember 255's being reserved for broadcast/searches... kinda like "hey I'm here is anyone there"... but again I took the classes a long time ago so I could be wrong. My IP provided by my cable service begins with a 24.x.x.x, but I'm not on a LAN. When I first ran and registered Vue I wasn't running Zone Alarm, so I don't know if it has to do with registering. I'll jot an email to e-on tonight. I just asked here, cause you know how the community is... you guys usually know more than the companies :) Thanks for the help.

Lyne ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 3:36 PM

It would be interesting to know how new your version of vue is?? I wonder if the later versions being sold have that thing in them that reports to e on... like poser pro pack had for a while, till folks got really tired of it? Lyne

Life Requires Assembly and we all know how THAT goes!

MikeJ ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 3:44 PM

I'm pretty sure the 24.255.255.255 address is a LAN setting, like in the case of Poser 4 searching for other machines on a network running the same serial number. I really don't think it's intentional though, because Steve Bell seemed genuinely surprised when asked him about it, months ago. In any event, it doesn't appear to be trying to connect to the internet at all (Port 80). Zone Alarm will give that same report for anything that tries to open a port.

Buffer ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 5:52 PM

You are correct on the 255 series there Moonbiter. Not all of the time but 99.9% it is used to broadcast traffic.

X-perimentalman ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 7:38 PM

when you run winipcfg in the run menu, does it show the 24.255 series of numbers as your subnet mask for either a cable or dsl connection? that could be where it is trying to broadcast out to the net. anyway, whether it is or isn't, you could just tell it no and check the zone labs box to remember this setting everytime, and it won;t ever bug you again. provided of course vue is still working after that is :}

MikeJ ( ) posted Mon, 25 March 2002 at 8:01 PM

Thanks, X-man. :) I can assure everyone, just like Poser 4, it won't effect whether Vue works or not by not allowing it to connect to whatever it is that it's seeking. In Zone Alarm, you do that by checking the "Remember this answer..." box and then clicking on "No", or you can open up the "Programs" box in ZA and browse for any and all programs, and place an "X" in the Allow Connect/Allow Server areas. Still though, I think it's just a bug, but it could have something to do with the Poser *.pz3 import feature.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.