Sat, Sep 21, 4:36 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 3:32 pm)

Subject: Why upgrade to Poser 4?

mickymouse ( ) posted Wed, 27 March 2002 at 7:43 AM ยท edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 4:34 PM

I currently have Poser 3 and have messed with Poser 4 demo and see very little difference... am I missing something? Why upgrade? THanks

davidm ( ) posted Wed, 27 March 2002 at 7:54 AM

Quite a bit really! :-) Use conforming figures and clothes (lots of great ones to buy here too!); transparency; props that bend with body parts; vastly improved lighting, including spotlights; deforming magnet tools and the sketch designer. (Probably a few more things I've missed too!) It's worth the upgrade, even if it's just to give your Poser characters a nice wardrobe of clothes. :-) Dave :-)

melanie ( ) posted Wed, 27 March 2002 at 8:11 AM

Especially the transparency. You can't get the great hair without it. No more plastic helmet hair that we had to do lots of post work on with P3. You can use all of Kozaburo's great hair. The conforming clothes that moves with the figure is also definitely a must. It was a huge step up from Poser 3. Melanie

melanie ( ) posted Wed, 27 March 2002 at 8:12 AM

Also, the Millennium characters from DAZ. Poser 3 won't support those. The stock figures are quickly becoming obsolete. Melanie

droyd ( ) posted Wed, 27 March 2002 at 9:23 AM

If you're just messing around with Poser 3 and not seriously into it as an artist yet, you may want to wait till Poser 5 comes out. I don't know if you will be able to upgrade Poser 3 to it but you might be able to. The thing to bare in mind with Poser 5 though is we don't know when it's coming out! It could be a year or it could be 6 months. If you don't have alot of money to spend you might want to wait. If you upgrade to 4 and then 5 comes out a month later you might wish you had waited. Look here in the Forum and watch to see when Poser 5 will be released. Now saying all that you still may want to get Poser 4 anyway. I believe if you got a free version of Poser 3 with a magazine the cost to upgrade to Poser 4 is about half of what it costs to buy Poser 4 on it's own. So that's a bargain no matter how you look at it. I guess my best advice is play around with Poser 3 for awhile and see how much you like it. When you start to say to yourself "Gee I wish I could render an image like XXXX's but I can't get mine to look like that no matter what I do.", you'll get the bug to upgrade and you'll know the time is right. My final thought is if you have the money and you can get the upgrade to Poser 4 for $100 ( not sure about the cost) do it. Even if Poser 5 comes out in a month ( it won't ) you'll be much happier with Poser 4 and more than likely when Poser 5 comes out the upgrade for that will not be very costly, at least that's what we all are hoping.

Phantast ( ) posted Thu, 28 March 2002 at 4:53 AM

Trust me - it's worth every penny, unless your needs are really basic.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.