Fri, Sep 20, 7:48 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: A Vue 4 bug? (Reflecting bug)

Seravajan ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2002 at 5:04 AM · edited Mon, 26 August 2024 at 8:03 AM

I have applied a point light in a scene with water but that point light is not reflected in the water. Is this a bug? The figure holding the light is fully reflected in the water. Seravajan

kruzr ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2002 at 10:20 AM

file_2804.jpg

Morning Seravajan . . . 8^) After reading your post, I did a couple of test renders. I did not get any point light reflection with a normal light render, but, when I added a glass sphere around the point light, I did get a light reflection in the water. I don't know if this would be classified as a bug or not, but I'm getting the same thing as you do. Have a good one . . . . . Mark. . . . ;^)

zoon ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2002 at 10:59 AM

The 'light' is only visible because you have lens flare switched on. Although this appears during the render, it is not part of the ray tracing, and so currently does not appear in reflections. Equally 'glow' does not reflect. You'll have to fake it, by putting a translucent sphere around it.

YL ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2002 at 12:31 PM

Normally, light can be seen due to diffusion by particles in water or gas (so if ther is no particles you can not see a light beam as you can try by your self in the night). But with Vue 4, using volumetric atmosephere, I assume you can define something like particles which will show the light (but I'm not sure since I have not the last version of Vue) :) Yves

YL ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2002 at 12:37 PM

Now with our subject ... LOL Concerning the reflection you have shown Mark, right Image exhibit the sphere largely deformed by water wavelets (and by blured reflections if any). I'am not sure concerning the left image if it is a bug or not, but I always noticed Vue will not display the sun in the water for exemple (it's so difficult compared to terragen pictures). Maybe try to increase highlights of water , and a full "dull" highlights. Yves

jstro ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2002 at 2:04 PM

I'm currently reading Principles of Three-Dimensional Computer Animation by Michael O'Rourke. He has a nice section on lights that I found informative. On the subject of point lights he says, "Unlike a real light bulb, however, a point light does not have any size or any shape. In other words, it has no geometry at all. [sic] You only see the effects the point light has on objects in the scene [sic]. Hierarchically grouping a light becomes espically important if you want to have an actual light-bulb model in your scene. [sic] ...you define a point light to be located at the center of this geometry... [sic] Finally, to make the bulb geometry and the point light stay together, you hierarchically group them." pp. 89-90. I'm guessing that since the point light is not a physical thing, it does not reflect, only real objects reflect. So that is why the method kurzr demonstrated works, the light is put into a real object, which in turn can be reflected. Just a semi-educated guess. jon

~jon
My Blog - Mad Utopia Writing in a new era.

NightVoice ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2002 at 4:24 PM

file_2805.jpg

Yep I did the same tests and getting the same results ofcourse. However, looking at my quick mock up example, if you want the glow reflecting, don't want to see an object around it then make a tiny glass sphere, or any other shape you want, and put it in the heart of the light. :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.