Thu, Oct 3, 4:35 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 26 4:27 pm)

Subject: Vue and Win XP

spectre3 ( ) posted Mon, 15 April 2002 at 12:24 PM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 4:32 PM

Hi, I must admit that I have neglected Vue 4 lately, but started to mess with it yesterday. I recently upgraded to Win XP, and to my surprise when I started Vue 4 the startup screen appeared and it immediately rebooted my computer. I thought since I was still at version 4.03, updating with the patches might help. Downloaded and updated my 4.03 to 4.05 ( the 4.06 Win version link is bad), and still does the same thing. Never had a problem with Win ME. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Spectre

kruzr ( ) posted Mon, 15 April 2002 at 12:47 PM

'Morning Spectre . . . 8^) I don't know anything about Win XP, I'm still using Win 98SE. The only thing I can think of is, when you did your upgrade to XP, did you do a fresh install? Meaning, did you do an "F-Disk" & a format, then install your new operating system? The reason I'm asking is, I know it's a whole lot of work, but I have several friends that just did the upgrade by installing their new operating system, ( over top of ), their old operating system. They had nothing but problems with a lot of the software they had on their systems. So, they went the hard way & did an "F-Disk", formatted the hard drive, then installed all their software. That created a fresh environment to work with & 99% of their software worked great. Other than that, I don't know of what else might be causing your problem. I'm just offering a suggestion, don't know if it will correct the problem or not, but I hope you get it solved soon & you have a good one . . . Mark. ;^)

kruzr ( ) posted Mon, 15 April 2002 at 12:53 PM

One other thing you might want to try Spectre, you might want to uninstall Vue & all related files from your computer, then do a fresh install of Vue - download & install the "Full 4.05" patch, & see if that corrects the problem. . . . Mark. Just another thought? 8^o

thorntoa ( ) posted Mon, 15 April 2002 at 2:00 PM

I had a similar problem when I was using Win2000. My problem was due to problems with the OpenGL drivers and the video card that I was using. I turned off OpenGL and all was well. I'm currently running WinXP and using a different video card (on a different machine). Even on this machine OpenGl can be kind of finicky - but it is very stable with my current settings . . . If you never took Vue off of its defaults . . . it is probalby not the OpenGL thing . . .

Allan Thornton

spectre3 ( ) posted Mon, 15 April 2002 at 2:57 PM

Thanks for the replys.... Unfortunately Mark I did the upgrade to XP, and have had a lot of problems. This Vue thing is just one of them. thorntoa, I think you may be on the right path. I had a heck of a time with my video card (Voodoo 4) I'll play with the 3DFX/OpenGl setting and see what happens. Thanks for the info. Spectre

ghostman ( ) posted Tue, 16 April 2002 at 5:13 AM

U could try to rightclick on the exe file and choose to run it in compabilitymode.

"Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you'll die tomorrow."

Join PoserLounge Chat

spectre3 ( ) posted Tue, 16 April 2002 at 5:40 AM

Thanks ghostman, tried that, and it still shut my machine down. Also, I tried playing with the OpenGL settings and still no go. Has to be a Win XP problem...

ghostman ( ) posted Tue, 16 April 2002 at 7:30 AM

Iv tried it in XP and i worked just fine as long as I unchecked the open GL and run it in win 2ooo mode. U may try to upgrade XP. If U havet alredy, Maybe that will do it.

Join PoserLounge Chat

NightVoice ( ) posted Tue, 16 April 2002 at 9:10 AM

I have xp and did the upgrade and all works fine, however I didn't install vue till after the upgrade. I noticed some of my other programs that were on there before the upgrade were not working right. But uninstalling them and re-installing those specific programs worked like a charm. Some programs just don't like xp unless they were installed on xp. :)

NightVoice ( ) posted Tue, 16 April 2002 at 9:15 AM

Shoot, dang this no edit thing. :)

Anyway, also, some video cards did not have good win xp drivers at launch so you might still have your old ones that don't work well with xp. Go to your vid card makers site and look for the newest win xp compatible drivers. :)

ghostman ( ) posted Tue, 16 April 2002 at 9:40 AM

I might add if theres no driver for XP U can use the drivers for win2000 as well.

Join PoserLounge Chat

NightVoice ( ) posted Tue, 16 April 2002 at 10:33 AM

Sorry to be posting again but I did some checking around(just noticed you had a voodoo card). I forgot that a while ago nvidia bought out 3dfx, closed them up and this was all before XP showed up (which means no official xp drivers). However, if you head over to the 3dfx website they give you a link to a site that has 3rd party drivers that might help. :)

spectre3 ( ) posted Tue, 16 April 2002 at 11:32 AM

Thanks for the replys, I already have the XP drivers for the Voodoo loaded, and the latest update for XP. I think I'll do what NightVoice and, kruzr originally, recommended and uninstall and re-install Vue. Not much left to try.....

SQS ( ) posted Mon, 18 November 2002 at 5:35 PM

Did this Vue XP thing ever get sorted out? I was running VUE just fine on my old system Win98. Now have a brand new computer and am having this problem with Vue rebooting. Just wondered if there was a solution. I did a new install on the new system. My friend is running VUE on her xp sysem with no problems, so I am thinking it is a setting thing?

spectre3 ( ) posted Mon, 18 November 2002 at 5:42 PM

Actually, I solved the problem by getting a new video card. Apparently, XP has a problem with older cards. Now my Vue works just fine. BTW I got a Gainward Gold GeForce 4 with 128 MB RAM. Spectre

SQS ( ) posted Mon, 18 November 2002 at 6:59 PM

Hi, spectre! thanks for responding. It would seem it is the graphics card that is the problem on my system as well. I have a S3 graphics ProSavageDDR and that is what the error message refers to when the system reboots. What a pain!!!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.