Tue, Oct 22, 1:04 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 12:41 am)

Subject: Poser 5 for Mac OS X

rtamesis ( ) posted Tue, 16 April 2002 at 2:47 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 1:02 AM

When, Curious Labs, when will you roll out Poser 5? Adobe finally shipped Photoshop 7 for Mac OS X to me, which means that all my major apps (Illustrator 10, GoLive 7, Livemotion 2, Cinema 4D 7.3, Vue D'Espirit, Bryce) are OS X native EXCEPT for Poser. I want to be free from Classic Mac OS now!

wolf359 ( ) posted Tue, 16 April 2002 at 3:35 PM

I hear you brother!!
According to CL it will definately be OSX native
I just hope they release the Poser import plugin
for the Cinema 4DXl OSX version at the same time So we can say farewell to OS 9 forever!!

My website

YouTube Channel

VirtualSite ( ) posted Tue, 16 April 2002 at 4:36 PM

So we can say farewell to OS 9 forever!! Some of us happen to like OS9, thank you very much. OSX looks real pretty and has all sorts of fascinating bells and whistles -- but none that are going to increase my machine's productivity. If anything, the only effect it will have is to gobble more of my computer's RAM to run a lot of functions I have no use for.

wolf359 ( ) posted Tue, 16 April 2002 at 4:52 PM

Im sorry By "WE " I meant
those who dont own several machines
and engage in processor intensive work
like rendering a volumetric explosion in lightwave( for clients)
while burning a CD, while listening To MP3s with itunes,while posting at renderosity
ALL at the same time .
NOT possible in OS9!!!
it called preemptive multitasking , and protected memoryan ability that Windows NT users have enjoyed for years.

but hey i guess we all have our own defintion of "productivity" :-)

My website

YouTube Channel

VirtualSite ( ) posted Tue, 16 April 2002 at 4:56 PM

NOT possible in OS9!!! And all I can say to that is Thank God. If you're doing all that at once, then I sorta have to wonder if you're hoping OSXI will come with a special bathroom-and-fridge extension so you never have to leave the computer again. :)

wolf359 ( ) posted Tue, 16 April 2002 at 5:14 PM

And all I can say to that is Thank God. If you're doing all that at once, then I sorta have to wonder if you're hoping OSXI will come with a special bathroom-and-fridge extension so you never have to leave the computer again. :)

When you use a computer for business, productivity equals $$money$$
Having your one computer held hostage for two hours by a 3D animation render is
just BAD business practice!!
making use of a modern OS with premptive multitasking and protected memory
that allows you to safely engage in several process during your $$work $$day
and even have a process crash( bad java kills web browser!!),
and NOT destabilize and freeze your whole computer requiring a restart,
IS GOOD business practice!!

please dont take this personally
its an economics issue :-)

My website

YouTube Channel

VirtualSite ( ) posted Tue, 16 April 2002 at 5:32 PM

please dont take this personally I don't. I think it's a riot, actually. Like you, I use my computer(s) for business extensively, but I guess I've learned to time-manage the output a little more successfully. An animation or something with difficult or time-intensive texturing? Rendered during off-hours, overnight. Burning a CD? Five minutes' time, usually done over lunch. Listening to mp3's? Well, that's why God invented radio and CD players, I suppose. I love my computers a great deal; they're wonderful business tools. But multi-tasking to the degree you're talking about? That's a mad scramble, not a work day. Just my 0.02.

wolf359 ( ) posted Tue, 16 April 2002 at 6:15 PM

"Just my 0.02."

.02 cents is all i would ever earn if i had to
restrict my serious rendering to
"overnight" or "Lunch time"
but Hey, One mans work day is another mans "mad scramble":-)

BTW, God invented Man
smart men invented radio
really! smart men invented CD players
and REALLY REALLY Smart men invented MAC OSX

:-)

My website

YouTube Channel

Anzan ( ) posted Tue, 16 April 2002 at 6:16 PM

:shudders: That lack of multitasking killed me when in some of the computer labs of the university working in graphics courses on macs.... It was awful. :grins: No offence Virtual.... But I ussualy do at least two or three things at once and that experience pretty much ruined me for macs :Grins: not that I was overly fond of them to begin with. Though if I had to have one computer dedicated to business or what have you I'd get one, for "doing everything else" my PC will always win. I love XP.... :Grins: Anz

Anzan ( ) posted Tue, 16 April 2002 at 10:02 PM

Very good point there, too. Anz

lmckenzie ( ) posted Wed, 17 April 2002 at 3:54 AM

I'm waiting for the Linux crowd to weigh in and say that the Penguin will devour both the Mac and Windows. I haven't used a Mac since the 680XX System 7 or so days. I wasn't impressed then but I'm sure OS X is a fine system. Unfortunately, as Ratteler alludes to, Apple's marketing strategy killed any chance of the Mac being a dominant platform. They've made a magnificent comeback, starting with the iMac. But, for those concerned with (as my old beloved Atari used to say), "Power Without the Price," aren't going to pay the 2-3X premium for a Macintosh. I run Windows 2000 and VMWare which allows you to run Linux and any Microdoft OS (from DOS to XP) in a virtual machine environment. Works quite well. If they could add Mac compatibility, I certainly like to try OS X. One of my main hopes for Poser 5 is that they drop the tidiculous cross-platform compromises and have true Windows dialogs for the library, etc. Each version needs to work the way native applications on the respective OS do.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 17 April 2002 at 5:39 AM

file_4828.jpg

*"I'm waiting for the Linux crowd to weigh in and say that the Penguin will devour both the Mac and Windows."*

Actually MAC OSX is a Powerful unix variant called "darwin"
so for those Pros who wish to quickly perform system operations via command line
OSX gives you that option.
just as widows always did

My website

YouTube Channel

lynnJonathan ( ) posted Thu, 18 April 2002 at 5:25 AM

Some macs dont run OS X. Like mine. The one I have invested so much cash on. I fear that I'll get left behind. I guess I could upgrade to a G3 or G4 somehow but I've heard mixed stuff about doing that. But I've got a new PC that I'm slowly useing more. There are so many little programs that dont work on a mac. But I actually like them both. If I had a playstion 2 and wanted another game system I wouldn't just buy another one- I'd get an X-box or at least something else. If it works why fix it? I find I just end up breaking it then.

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 18 April 2002 at 5:47 AM

Yes MAC OSX requires a G3 processor or better

My website

YouTube Channel

Jim Burton ( ) posted Thu, 18 April 2002 at 12:31 PM

You know, I use Win 2K on my working machine, I've never found it necessary to do 10 things at once! Nice being able to crash an application without crashing the computer, though. Windows NT version O.S. actually run DOS as an application, I think, it isn't underneath anymore. Years ago I used SG workstations running Alias in X-Windows, there was Unix underneath, but it wasn't all that usefull, other for running timed start operations late at night and transferring files to a PC. Command line stuff is pretty dead, nobody can remember the stinking stuff anymore! I'd guess 99% of the Windows users never use it. Quark 5, just out, incidently, states O.S. 8.6 required, I gather it runs in Classic mode. In the real world Quark is THE App on Macs, along with the programs like Photoshop that are required to support it.

soulhuntre ( ) posted Thu, 18 April 2002 at 4:02 PM

I am not sure how having a machine that is MORE capable is a bad thing... the same is true about OS's. Let's face it, Apple never really did manage to get OS9 to be a modern OS and many people simply couldn;t live with the quirks anymore. No protected memory? No real multitasking? No robust virtual memory? I have to pre-allocate memory to an app? I don't think so :) It is good that you have manage to work around the flaws int he OS virtualsite, and maybe for you it isn't a problem but the simple fact is they were glaring flaws - not virtues. Me, I >LIKE< being able to leave something running for a few days and still have my machine... with render times for advanced scenes running in the 11 hour range for me it is pretty nice that I can still run Word or Photoshop. This also allows me to use some of my machiens as a small renderfarm without having to dedicate the box to that task.

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 18 April 2002 at 4:17 PM

I personally never find it necessary to do TEN things at once
however is is often very desirable to to do TWO things at once
and if one of those tasks is rendering a 3D animation or burning a CD
OS9 is not suitable for my needs.

Quark express is the industry Standard in Offset prepress
because four color film service service bureaus
and Film image setter manufacturers and the entire print industry
has adopted quark layouts as the defacto standard for film output
for offset plate making.
this is largely due to the fact that quark inc. allowed third party developers
access to the apps source code and write all those custom extensions
that have made quark the juggernaught it is today.in the prepress industry

And if you ve ever Ripped a 30 page 4 color process book to a film image setter
out of quark in OS 8.6-9.2 on a MAC 866 mzh G4,and sat watching a progress bar for 30 or more minutes
( due to ethernet print network speed limitations)

while your production manager has a heart attack because sales just promised
a rush, design while you wait job, to a premium client,..............
well let me just say that a multitasking OS is a highly desirable feature
in MANY industries.

My website

YouTube Channel

Jim Burton ( ) posted Fri, 19 April 2002 at 9:09 AM

Quark isn't going to be any faster in OS X running in classic mode, though, is it? I find it amazing that it isn't OS X native. Could be they took so long to get it (Quark) out the door they decided to do that part later, though. I surely agree that Macs need a better operating system, but I also understand why people are slow to upgrade right now. I think my school (on my reccomendation) is going to reformat the new G4s we are getting this summer and run 9.2, at laest for a term or two, as I"m afraid of interaction with some of our existing applications, like Photoshop 6. I pretty much suggested holding off until we go to Photoshop 7, if we go to Photoshop 7. Some of these "We are doing an upgrade because we need the money" changes are getting very tiring! ;-)

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 19 April 2002 at 1:10 PM

*my school (on my reccomendation) is going to reformat the new G4s
we are getting this summer and run 9.2,

Why????!!!!!

any new G4 you Buy will have OS 9.22 already installed
OSX we be the Default startup system
but you just set OS 9 as the startup partition or disk
in system preferences

the digital imaging prepress shop that I used to manage
in my former(thankfully!!) printing career,
got a hot new G4 before i left
we ran OS 9.2 %100 of the time no problems
totally ignoring OSX because all our production
software and print drivers were OS 9 Versions.

and to Clarify the OSX version Quark Xpress will NOT be any faster.
BUT when you start to cram a massive 1.2 GIG 4 color process postscript file
across a ten base 100 ethernet network
to an Agfa film image setter
or creocitex front-end server for a digital press,
you workstation will be held hostage by this process nearly an hour
in OS9 no other processes can be done

the post script rip will take just as long in OSX or Windows NT.
BUT you will be able to jump
over to pagemaker or Illustrator and Design those two rush jobs that
came in during that Hour
thats my only point here :-)

My website

YouTube Channel

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.