Mon, Sep 9, 7:46 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Now I need your information - Mac users please read!

MartinC ( ) posted Fri, 28 January 2000 at 10:07 AM ยท edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 7:45 AM

Attached Link: CLICK HERE TO SEND ME YOUR INFO

Hello, whoever uses my Macintosh tools - now there is something that you could do in order to improve future things to come. I'm currently trying to support every Mac and System which is able to run any Poser3/4 version worldwide, and (don't worry) I will not abandon to do so. Nevertheless it sometimes takes a lot of trouble and additional work to support very outdated configurations, and so I need to get a biased overview of your environments - if I know that many people depend on certain features, I can simply concentrate a bit more on their needs. To make things simple for you, I have set up a little survey page, where you can quickly type in your information and send it to me. I'm aware that many people are reluctant to send forms like this (because of possible abuse of private data), so I can just assure in public: Your data is sent to a completely private mail address of mine, no third party or company is involved, and everything will be kept confidential at any time - you have my guarantee. Feel free to send your info anonymous, or feel free to fill out any of the personal fields. If you decide to fill out the e-mail field, I will send out little notes about updates occasionally. If you leave it blank, the return address of your browser will not be stored or used. Thanks to everyone helping me to help others, cheers, MartinC

lmacken ( ) posted Fri, 28 January 2000 at 7:41 PM

I just completed your survey. I'd like to say thank you again for Maconverter. It's not only invaluable, but a pleasure to use. =) I haven't yet tried Macinstaller, and it's time to fix that. Here's why I hesitate: I've got 3 Poser folders installed (4.02, 4.0 and 4.0 w/ some/most/maybe all the Metacreations installed stuff removed) with both duplications and differences in the Runtime folders. I'd like to just drag and drop all three onto (maybe Macinstaller) and have it sort them together, but it's Gigabytes of stuff and I'm not sure it's the best approach. What's the best strategy? TIA

MartinC ( ) posted Sat, 29 January 2000 at 4:22 AM

This is a bit tricky, and I'm aware that Macinstaller is currently a bit poor with multiple Posers. It only accepts one Poser at a time and needs to restart after you select "Change Poser". This will be improved (hopefully) soon by allowing you to switch Poser "on the fly". I was working on it for a long time (the idea is as old as Maconverter when I tried to look for a better Texture fix than just removing), and the 4.0.2 betas arrived when it was already designed. So it is just not prepared to handle multiple Runtimes, and I suppose that 4.0.2 becomes final (and makes 4.0/4.0.1 obsolete) before I could finish this major change. For your custom installations there is a good solution: Choose "Source Folder" as Destination for both Libraries and Geometries, and "Source" for Textures in the main popup as default. This way you can keep just one copy of each file where it is (anywhere on your disk(s), you can even split it up on various places), and only minimal data will be copied to the Runtimes. You can turn off "4.0/4.0.1 compatibility" if you have separate folders for 4.0 and 4.0.2 and save some more space. The only disadvantage will be the need to install everything 2-3 times (with the annoying Poser change in between), but (once again) Macinstaller was designed to address only one Poser at a time, with an easy handling of upgrading/re-installing one Poser, not multiple ones at the same time.

MartinC ( ) posted Sat, 29 January 2000 at 4:22 AM

continued... Alternatively, if you don't need to install everything everywhere at the same time (eg if you only work with one version for hours), there is a better solution: Start with Poser 4.0.2, turn 4.0/4.0.1 compatibility on, and choose "ExtraRuntime" as Destination for both Libraries and Geometries, "Source" for Textures in the main popup as default. Whenever you switch Poser, drag the entire ExtraRuntime folder into the new Poser folder, choose the new Poser in Macinstaller, and select the command "Register ExtraRuntime". Within seconds all of your custom stuff is recognized.

lmacken ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2000 at 11:00 AM

Thanks for mapping this out. I understand that I'm trying something the program wasn't intended to do. It's not like I use the 2nd and 3rd installs, they're just there. I guess I'll jump in and make it happen. Thanks again for your time.

MartinC ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2000 at 12:38 PM

If you only have one active Poser folder (and the other ones merely for reference), then definitely go for the ExtraRuntime model. Best start one last time with a clean installed Runtime, and then just add everything into ExtraRuntime. Whenever you have to switch, drag it into the new folder and select "Register", that's all. This is exactly what I'm doing - I now have a nice growing pile of 7 CD-R's containing different Poser version folders, and whenever I exchange my current one, it takes less than a minute for Macinstaller to get my tons of custom stuff recognized as it was before.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.