Sat, Sep 21, 10:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: My Two Biggest Bryce Problems

Wampyir ( ) posted Tue, 01 February 2000 at 11:14 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 8:39 PM

I was wondering if anyone could answer two Bryce questions that have me stumped. Namely: 1. How do you mix land and water together convincingly (and I don't mean just sticking a mountain on top of a water plane)? 2. Whenever I put objects in a scene or on a terrain, they look "flat" where they meet the terrain. How do you get the look and feel of real Nature--the subtle "growing out of the ground" type of effect--in Bryce scenes? Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

picnic ( ) posted Tue, 01 February 2000 at 11:58 PM

I'm far from any expert or 'guru', but I did play around trying to make a 'cove' tonight after Rita's question (I usually like to do 'interiors'). I found that creating a number of terrains and altering them in the editor and then layering them, resizing them, etc.--gave me a really nice uneven shore line and changing the water material to one that reflected 'depth' showed the changes in the terrains near the water's edge. I did the same for my one and only 'sea' scene and there I used a number of small terrains for a distant shore and tilted them, rotated them, made small and large ones and moved some back some forward, gave me a rocky shore. Just a thought. Diane B

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2000 at 9:22 AM

Hey there .. The was a tutorial link on R.S.O.B (can be found on the links to the right) that covered that pretty well ... Includes beaches and everything else and it is fairly easy and descriptive ..

ScottK ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2000 at 12:59 PM

I rarely use the infinite planes. Earth and water are not perfectly flat, so infinite planes will not give you the look you desire. For water/land images, I use a terrain (quite flat, but irregular) for water, and at least two terrains for land - often more. Since there is usually a buffer of sand or rock beach between water and grass or mountain, I use a terrain for the beach, and another on top of it for the mountain terrain. Texture each individually. Add more terrains or lattices or vegetation models for the vegetation buffer. Usually, in the real world, you have water -> sand/rock -> vegetation buffer -> land mass. This just can't be simulated with a water plane and a mountain terrain. The key is adding more terrains. -sk

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.