Thu, Oct 10, 10:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Animation

Welcome to the Animation Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Animation F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 6:34 am)

In here we will dicuss everything that moves.

Characters, motion graphics, props, particles... everything that moves!
Enjoy , create and share :)
Remember to check the FAQ for useful information and resources.

Animation learning and resources:

[Animations]

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: codecs for an animation

aleks ( ) posted Tue, 07 May 2002 at 6:39 AM ยท edited Thu, 10 October 2024 at 10:22 AM

i plan to do a promotion cd for one medical supplies company. there will be animations wraped up in a director projector. any idea which codec should i use? animatons will be made in max 4.2 with final render (after update to 1.3 it works pretty well), and i can post-work them in premiere or after effects. do you have some experience with director projectors and codecs from max? thanks a lot! :)

vectortv ( ) posted Tue, 07 May 2002 at 3:38 PM

I would suggest rendering them uncompressed from max, and then apply your codec in Premiere, means that if the animation starts getting blocky from the codec you don't have to re-render again. Depending on your exact content there are a various number of different codecs you can use. The main thing to remember is the data rate - don't make it too high or the cd drive won't be able to keep up. Director can handle both movs and avis with ease, so it'll just be a matter of experimenting with different codecs to find the right look - there is no quick and easy solution for codecs - it just requires a lot of experimentation.

RealDeal ( ) posted Wed, 08 May 2002 at 4:45 PM

2nd that on doing uncompressed in Max. If for some reason you can't, I commonly use indeo 5.1 with NO compression, which still gives a good 50% reduction in size. As to the final product, unless you know EXACTLY what equipment it'll be showing on, I would suggest you do 2 versions on the same CD: 1 version for PC users, probably in MPG-1 format, and another for the other guys, in a quicktime .mov format. For my personal stuff, i have a lot of faith in wme / asf format; compression almost as good as DivX, and pretty much anyone with IE4 or better can see them.

4096 ( ) posted Mon, 13 May 2002 at 2:46 PM

Harddrives are cheap these days, and so are cd-r's. Time to burn all your mp3's, pr0n and divx movies and clear out the 10 gigs or so that you'll need for your uncompresed frames. You might also look at one of the lossless mjpeg codecs; lossless means that you dont get compression artifacts and still get some compression.

Bobasaur ( ) posted Wed, 12 June 2002 at 12:49 PM

If you use QuickTime with Director, you have to include a QuickTime installer. No problem, they can be freely gotten and distributed and run in/through Director. I've found xtras for Director that would enable it to play MPEGs but I havn't used any of them. I know those who use them regularly and they seem to work out great. I don't believe Director will handle .wmf or .asf files. I belive that even PCs require an extra codec to play DivX. Therefore I'd hesitate to use a DivX encoded AVI. When I'm doing business to Business CDs, I usually use an AVI movie with the cinepak compressor. It doesn't require installing anything extra and and works for both Mac and Windows. It doesn't look the greatest but it works. If I was doing a CD for consumers I'd use QuickTime. They don't usually have to get permission from their IT department to install something [grin].

Before they made me they broke the mold!
http://home.roadrunner.com/~kflach/

aleks ( ) posted Wed, 12 June 2002 at 1:04 PM

thanks guys (gals?)! it was all very helpfull and i think that indeo is indeed best bet... we'll see how much reduction it can stand!

Bobasaur ( ) posted Wed, 12 June 2002 at 6:37 PM

If you can, render full-sized uncompressed files from Max.

--Compression seems to work better when it has more original pixels to calculate with.

Then test the compression at different settings (even codecs) to find the best mix of quality vs. file size.

--Picture quality can vary greatly depending on the what is actually shown. Test, test, test!

else nothing
end if

Before they made me they broke the mold!
http://home.roadrunner.com/~kflach/

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.