Sat, Sep 21, 2:41 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Creating pop-up menu in ImageReady/Photoshop

fuli42 ( ) posted Tue, 14 May 2002 at 6:58 AM ยท edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 12:36 PM

PS/ImageReady are great tools to slice up-rollover-animate images, but can you do pop-up menus as well, like the roll-down menu found on the top of every software window. In Fireworks it's a childs' play, but I don't know if I could import my layers, slices, anims etc, from my Photoshop file. It would be easier to do it in ImageREady. Thank you, everyone, in advance Yours truly, Fuli

retrocity ( ) posted Tue, 14 May 2002 at 9:58 AM

Fuli, when you say "In Fireworks it's a childs' play,... " are you talking about Fireworks MX??

If you want to IMPORT your Photoshop layers INTO Fireworks, version 4 handles it much better, though there are still problems with text. Simply choose EDIT > PREFERENCES then click on the Import tab. You can select different import options, but this should work for you.

If you want to perserve your layers FROM your Fireworks (4)file, INTO Photoshop, choose FILE > EXPORT, in the dialog box, name your file and choose Photoshop PSD from the Save As menu.

There are some other "export" settings to deal with in the "settings" menu. choose "options" and select the ones you want...

i can get more indepth if you want, but thats a good place to start. If you have an eariler version of Fireworks than 4, you will not be able to retain your layers. You can open you ".png" file in Photoshop but your wonderful layers are flattened!

;)
retrocity

fuli42 ( ) posted Tue, 14 May 2002 at 1:52 PM

Thank you very much, Retrocity for your help. I could in fact very easily open my multi-layered photoshop file in fireworks, without any loss, but i could not edit the text layers as I wanted them. The slices info did disappear though. The result is, that I can't really use both applications, because some animated gifs, and rollovers are created based on the Photoshop slices. How does Fireworks write the pop-ups scripts? If it puts on a new layer, then toggles the visibility, or z-index, then i could do all the layout, slicing in photoshop, even the html part, and just add the pop-up code Fireworks creates to one cell. I am going to check this right now, do you think it's a workable? Thank you, Fuli

retrocity ( ) posted Tue, 14 May 2002 at 2:18 PM

Macromedia and Adobe are not really "best-of-friends" grin In fact they've been battleing it out in court over "infringments" so it's no wonder the two don't work as well together as we'd like... The Pop up Menus created in Fireworks, if i remember right are JavaScript (i think it creates a file called menu.js) you maybe able to tinker with this to get it to perform the way you want, but "machine"generated code is ALWAYS tougher to read! Give it a shot, maybe we can figure it out together... let us know, s

fuli42 ( ) posted Wed, 15 May 2002 at 2:51 AM

Hi! I've been looking at the menu.js file, and the html code of the pop-up page as well, and it seems that you can paste the html code into any page, or any cell in a table. The menu.js does not need to be changed. That's what me thinks, I keep you updated, when I've actually done it! Seeya! Fuli

fuli42 ( ) posted Wed, 15 May 2002 at 6:43 AM

Hello! I've tried to combine the Fireworks and Imageready codes. I can report to you, that indeed it worked! I did the popup menu in Fireworks, and everything else, including the mousovers in ImageReady. You can just copy the javascript, past it anywhere, and voila! I had to adjust to x,y coordinates of the menu, to position it, but that's it! Cheers, Fuli

retrocity ( ) posted Wed, 15 May 2002 at 7:12 AM

Great job Fuli, post the URL if you want. I'd love to see your rollover effects :) s

fuli42 ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 3:17 AM

Attached Link: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/orto.family/chambre

Well, it's not a big deal, I'm doing this at my inernship, in my free time, but here it goes, if you want to know... http://perso.wanadoo.fr/orto.family/chambre/ By no means a finished work. Fuli

fuli42 ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 5:34 AM

Just one more note: Imageready does NOT write preload script for animated gifs. It does for a simple rollover, but not if the rollover image is animated. The result is, that when you do mouseover on an animated gif, the display gets delayed. You can add the preload of animgifs manually, no problem, but the problem does not get discovered, until you try to view it from a remote computer, and/or the files are not cached. Fuli

retrocity ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 7:33 AM

Fuli, good catch, thanks for the info on the delay. It's always better to "find" these little surprises before showing the client!! :) s

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.