Fri, Sep 20, 4:46 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / MarketPlace Showcase

Welcome to the MarketPlace Showcase Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

MarketPlace Showcase F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:39 am)

Welcome to the MarketPlace Showcase Forum. The Showcase Forum and Gallery are intended for all commercial related postings by active Renderosity MarketPlace Vendors only. This is a highlight area where our membership is invited to review in greater detail the various art products, software and resource site subscriptions available for purchase in the Renderosity MarketPlace.

Subject: PBooost1.1 is in the marketplace.

hogwarden ( ) posted Mon, 13 May 2002 at 5:41 AM · edited Sun, 04 August 2024 at 5:58 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/softgood.ez?ViewSoftgood=9540

Hiya... Ok so I've only gone and done it! PBooost Library Manager for Poser3, 4, Propack, German or English. PC Windows only, I'm afraid! Please see the blurb about using PBooost and Poser simultaneously on NT based systems. I'll have a full tutorial up asap. Howard:)

ronknights ( ) posted Mon, 13 May 2002 at 8:00 AM

HOOORAY!!! Poser salvation is here at lst!!! Message671414.jpg

raistlin12000 ( ) posted Mon, 13 May 2002 at 11:27 AM

Hi, I saw some posts earlier about some people getting this to work under Xp when Hogwarden gave us his last update before the product was available. I bought it and it is a very essential util for poser however im in the XP not working camp. so those of you that tested it and got it working in Xp where you using home or pro? Have a network setup or not?

thgeisel ( ) posted Mon, 13 May 2002 at 12:01 PM

I have it working with xp. use the home edition, fat 32, a networkcard installed for ADSL.

raistlin12000 ( ) posted Mon, 13 May 2002 at 1:14 PM

I wonder if there is something diffrent between Home and pro in the way XP lets apps. share files. ANyone get it to work with XP pro? I'm running XP pro fat32 and have 4 machines networked. thgeisel how is your net setup? Have you changed anything or is it default? I have'nt setup anything my XP machine can find my others and they can find it so I have'nt changed anything. My DSL is ran through a Router so all machines can access the net without have one on at all times.

thgeisel ( ) posted Mon, 13 May 2002 at 1:24 PM

I only have the DSL at the card , no second computer. I was one of the betatesters and had no probs.Dont know why it works for me. But as i said also if you cant use it WHILE poser IS running i think its a very usefull utility to cleanup your folders without deleting something.

raistlin12000 ( ) posted Mon, 13 May 2002 at 2:31 PM

Yeah it is, I am way past the poser folder limits I could'nt see all of my poses props or clothes. I can and am using it. I could'nt go without now that I have it. I'm just thinking that it must be some setting in XP or something that locks the app. (poser) from not being able to share. I whish I had XP home on one of my other systems so I could compare both side by side.

thgeisel ( ) posted Mon, 13 May 2002 at 2:42 PM

think hogwarden did some research why it happened but as far as i know he has no solution till now.I send him all the information of my system, maybe its because i formatet my hd a long time ago with win98 and xp was only the update.

Solar384 ( ) posted Mon, 13 May 2002 at 2:45 PM

It does not work for me under XP home edition with fat 32. I upgraded from WinME. Not a clean install. You think a clean XP install would help? It's still quite useful to sort everything before loading Poser if you know what you're gonna need. I really hope a solution is found, because PBooost makes Poser a whole lot less tedious.

thgeisel ( ) posted Mon, 13 May 2002 at 3:25 PM

I really cant give any advice, whats makes it run with xp and fat 32 and what not. But as i said in "poserForum" in my opinion its also very useful if you can only use it while poser is not running. There are so many things in the libraries you very rarely use but you dont want to delete. with pboost one can make them invisible in another bank or export and import them to different places and getting them very simple back if one really uses them. My folders are much smaller and easier to handle since i did the big clean up.

hogwarden ( ) posted Mon, 13 May 2002 at 8:01 PM

Thanks Thomas... Yep it's a real mystery. I have personal experience of this as I started writing PBooost on win98. I then upgraded to XP Pro and had no problems. I then converted to NTFS to re-create Rons problems (he was testing also... on XP home NTFS) and found occasional lock-ups. I totally FDisked and re-formatted and installed Win 98 then upgraded again to XP, again with FAT 32... Totally clean installations. Now PBooost FAILS while Poser is running! Odd in the extreme... I've tried just about every XP tweak to stop the problem to no avail. I have no network. Maybe I took the easy route out, or maybe I had a sudden flash of "intelligence" by creating the tester app., I don't know. As long as everyone knows where they stand with PBooost. At the moment... until I have more hair-frazzling inspiration... it's the best I can do! But I'm still researching the more scary parts of NT/XP file system...! Howard:)

ronknights ( ) posted Mon, 13 May 2002 at 9:25 PM

I've pretty much decided to retire from this whole conversation because Howard is doing such a nice job with his baby. I started using PBooost with Windows XP and NTFS. PBooost worked much of the time. Sometimes I could work on 3-4 people in a scene, and happily switch back and forth between banks. Other times I couldn't use PBoost at all. I spent about a week, formatting my hard drive, reinstalling Windows XP, and all... Most recently I did a Windows Upgrade installation path, all the way from Windows 98 to Windows ME, to Windows XP. I kept FAT32 all the way.. PBooost still will not switch banks for me. I feel bad that I convinced Howard to get Windows XP and go to NTFS... It caused us both some grief., But then maybe we saved others some trouble. PBooost is still an excellent program.. You can still organize your libraries. Just use a little advanced planning. I'll probably put all my "standard Poser P4" stuff in one bank by itself. Then I'll have a bank for Mike, and maybe one for Vicky. I haven't had time to use the Official release version yet. I just got a new job, and gee, I don't have much time any more. I believe in Howard. I believe in PBooost! Now I can step back, and lurk some more. Message671414.jpg Ron

queri ( ) posted Mon, 13 May 2002 at 11:37 PM

Is there a detailed manual? Any chance of seeing that before I buy? I haven't been able to transfer the tester to my XP machine yet-- not so great health day-- but I can already see where this would help even if I could only use it when Poser was down. In fact, it might be able to help me use it with my ME machine again. Even just knowing there was a really really good Help file would be a bonus. My energy level is not up to any kind of learning curve-- and I REALLY need this prog. Emily who's check comes in on the 20th, and is already preparing the shopping basket to greet it.

hogwarden ( ) posted Tue, 14 May 2002 at 5:40 AM

Attached Link: http://www.horseless-headsmen.co.uk/PBooostTutorial/PBooostTutorial.htm

Emily... Sorry to hear you are in bad health. I've finished the tutorial... ...and put it in the tutorials section here as well. I hope it is clear enough! Sometimes when you're right up on the rock face, you can't see the top or the bottom!! Howard:)

raistlin12000 ( ) posted Tue, 14 May 2002 at 6:39 AM

I knew what I was in for before I bought it. I downloaded the tester and it failed and I remember seeing post about it not work right in XP. I don't want anyone to think I'm Unhappy with it I think it is one of the most usefull poser apps. I've bought. It just seems like it must be something simple everyone is overlooking. because in win9X based oses poser is able to share it's library files but in XP/NT it is'nt so I'm thinking it must have something to do with that. It seems XP is not allowing it to share it wants to be greedy. Again I love the program and bought it knowing it would'nt work but still love it.

hogwarden ( ) posted Tue, 14 May 2002 at 8:32 AM

Thanks Raistlin12000... Yep... it's to do with how NT file system works... ...it cleverly protects system files and folders... it just looks like Windows sometimes thinks that the poser folders are worth protecting from PBooost!!!!! Believe me... I've tried everything to free up the libraries for PBooost under these circumstances, but no go. Eventually I conceeded that the tester app was the only way to allow me to release the program...! I'm really glad you are finding it useful, even with the restriction of not being able to use it while Poser is running under XP. Thanks! Howard:)

Solar384 ( ) posted Tue, 14 May 2002 at 10:35 AM

This is one awesome app! Grrrrr, I wish I could get it to work with Poser up. I spent several hours trying to figure it out, but I'm at a complete loss. There's lot's of services running in XP and I saw many could be changed in their properties. I didn't make any changes since I don't want to break my PC trying to fix one app. Any ideas? Another thing... I only log in with as one user. Does anyone have multiple users and log in as admin? Maybe that makes a difference to the file system. The Microsoft knowledge base is pretty extensive. I think I'll go look aroung there. Maybe something like this is covered. But regardless, PBooost is a "must have" utiltity since the the arrival of mat files. It makes using Poser fun again and not so fustrating. Thanks so much Hogwarden. And I do hope the support of those like me will encourage you to continue to try to get it working under XP.

hogwarden ( ) posted Tue, 14 May 2002 at 3:41 PM

My pleasure, Solar384... Oh, yes... I'm still working on it! As I had a nice fresh XP installation and everything backed up, I turned off ALL unnecessary sevices. No change. I also have tried different logon settings as you suggest. If you have only one login, it has admin status by default. The knowledge base is massive... I've perused it at length! The trouble is... if a piece of software can disable any of the security features, they ain't very secure!!! Any old virus could be written to do it! And that's exactly why MSoft have changed things the way they have. If anyone finds a solution to this... Well daresay some boot licking may be in order!!!!! grumble... retreats back into pile of scary code... Thanks... Howard:)

queri ( ) posted Tue, 14 May 2002 at 6:41 PM

Super Duper tute!! I downloaded it to follow step by step. As I've already said on the main Poser Forum. I'm getting your prog first part of next week-- it will do so much, tons easier than I'm struggling to do now. And Maybe I won't have to wait a half hour for Poser to load-- ya think? Emily

hogwarden ( ) posted Tue, 14 May 2002 at 6:52 PM

Hmmm... I don't know if it will speed up Poser loading... it might?, but it will speed up changing between libraries. You know... it will load in the RSRs more quickly for a given library as there will be fewer thumbs for it to load! You must be on 98.ME, right? I must say that since getting Xp Poser loads in less than a second... Don't let that sway you towards XP, though... As you may have the old "PBooost can't work while Poser is running" problem. As it happens, I've re-done the Tut as per several suggestions... Like it now has a white backgroung to aid printing and I've taken the lovely borders off the images... Thanks for your advice, Ron!! I've also added a couple of new bits of information. like loads of thanx... so please do a "refresh" on it. Thanks for your positivelynessisitisity! (I've been listening to Your Glorious Leader!!) Howard:)

hogwarden ( ) posted Tue, 14 May 2002 at 6:54 PM

backgroung=background. Damn this speed-typing!

hogwarden ( ) posted Tue, 14 May 2002 at 6:58 PM

Oh, Solar... It's worth turning off slected services anyway... things can speed up dramatically. There's a great resource link which explains all the services and can help you to turn off the non-required ones... but I've lost it thanks to many Windows re-installs! Anyone got that link?? Howard:)

Solar384 ( ) posted Wed, 15 May 2002 at 1:51 PM

The tutorial is great. Thanks! What I'd like to know is what makes it work one some XP systems and not others. It's bound to be something that can be solved. Maybe the people that have it working could give you some very detailed info on their system configs so you could track it down. Also, the link to turn off any unneeded services would be nice if anyone has it. I'm sorry to drag this thread out, maybe I should take it to the Poser Technical forum? This is one amazing app and I'd like to keep the hope for an XP solution alive!

hogwarden ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 4:50 PM

Glad it's comprehensible!!!! I'm doing a little work making PBooost a goer for the French version of Poser... And making it run in a MAC. Phew... Maybe I'll find a solution along the way! Howard:)

hogwarden ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 4:52 PM

Glad it's comprehensible!!!! I'm doing a little work making PBooost a goer for the French version of Poser... And making it run in a MAC. Phew... Maybe I'll find a solution along the way! Howard:)

ronknights ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 11:38 PM

Howard, I have faith in you.

hogwarden ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2002 at 5:55 PM

'tis done... PBooost1.2 is up elsewhere already, but still pending in the Rosity marketplace! It now works for French Poser users, and a minor bug has been sorted...(an RSR AND PNG for a library entry were causing multiple entries in the contents list!) Howard:)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.