Wed, Sep 18, 11:40 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Is this Spam or worse ?

thomasrjm ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2002 at 2:50 AM · edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 3:19 PM

While reading messages on this forum tonight a website opened 3 times http://www.virtual-idol.com/ seems to be a Poser webshop in Hongkong. No !!! I didn't click any links only read messages here. Perhaps the mods should look into it, my fear is if someone can write a link or script like this into the board pages a virus or worm may be just around the corner. My Norton anti-virus was on highest setting and would not allow the java without my okay. Has anyone else experienced this intrusion. Tommy.

MartinC ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2002 at 3:19 AM

Sounds like JavaScript to me - since everyone can add HTML (fragments) to the posts, it is probably dead easy to add any code you like.

ronknights ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2002 at 8:18 AM

You might tell us what forum or what messages you were reading. I've never seen any such popup when I was only reading Rendrosity Forum Messages.

Axe_Gaijin ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2002 at 9:01 AM

It's always a good thing to have; A) A pop up stopper. B) Disabled Java script. C) Disabled Active X Script (or prompt) To disable JAva & Active X scripts in IE go to tools>Security scroll down to scripting and change the settings for Java and Active X You can easily restore them shouled you need to to acces a page that needs them for viewing. Happy surfing ;) Axe.

starmkr ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2002 at 10:05 AM

I went the site and it's incredible...however if you look at the source code...this person is a master at JAVA...What he does have on his website is poser models in true 3d. To kill the pop up ad the best program I have found and it's free is "POW".. It kick those suckers down. Hotmail is were I get the most spam... and there filters don't work anymore....I can't stand the spam you buy in the can either.

Turtle ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2002 at 10:08 AM

I just Had a window pop up when I was reading Mosca message, it was on(the pop up)> Cassino's.????? Never have I had a window pop up before in this forum????Or on the who ren. site. Unless I used a like to go outside of Rend. Mosca link was to the gallery right here at Rend.????????

Love is Grandchildren.

Gort ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2002 at 11:42 AM

If you haven't already noticed... pop-ups often lie in wait now, like a time-bomb. "Pop-under" strategy is also getting very popular. You can be many sites away from where it got into your system before it presents itself, there's even a family of them that wait for the next time you activate your browser to show themselves. Just 'cause it popped up while you were on 'rosity doesn't mean it has anything to with here. Get a good pop-up killer and a firewall.

praxis22 ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2002 at 11:43 AM

Hi, I've always quite liked SPAM, though I prefer corned beef. That said however I must have lost a fair bit of blood openeing the cans over the years. The edges on those things are lethal! :) later jb

tjohn ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2002 at 12:39 PM

Haven't had this happen on Forum, but sometimes when cruising free stuff I get a message from my protection asking if I want to allow something access to my ISP. I always say no, but haven't looked to see who's asking. Is this kinda what you mean?

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

Axe_Gaijin ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2002 at 1:02 PM

If you have pop ups poping up that "lie dorment" use ctr+alt+delete to see what is running in the background, if you see "tray" and "kernel2" together then stop both (end task) that will take care of it, try running a spy ware program on your HD aswell. Programs like ad-aware can sniff out stuff like Gator that will "search" pop up ads for you and spam you with it... Interneting is no fun anymore, it's like walking at night in a dark alley, always looking over your shoulder. Axe

starmkr ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2002 at 2:37 PM

Go to Norton website and they have a special tool that search out if you have a ad program installed on your computer and deletes it for you.

JeffH ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2002 at 5:35 PM

Could someone point out the thread where is is happening?

thomasrjm ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2002 at 6:11 AM

Wish I could remember which thread was guilty, but have followed all of the suggestions closely including a session of ad aware and a full Norton scan. I read almost every forum message here daily after work and 99% sure the re-direction came from a message or reply in Poser forum. After shutting the Hong Kong site it hasn't returned. Tommy.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.