Mon, Sep 9, 7:44 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: rendering/anti alias

Rita ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2000 at 6:57 PM ยท edited Thu, 22 August 2024 at 5:27 PM

Whenever I render an image in Poser, I always have the anti-alias checked off. I will then copy and paste into PSP. Then when I want to use the figure with a different PSP background, I will change the background of poser and make the Poser background transparent. People often tell me then to anti alias in Poser which I already did. How can I use my poser figure in PSP and not lose the anti-alias. I wind up doing a lot of softening in PSP to lose the jaggies. (I never know what background I'll use in PSP right off the bat so don't want to use a PSP background in Poser.) Any suggestions?

PhilC ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2000 at 7:05 PM

To get the benifits of an anti-aliased render in Poser you need to check ON ....or have I missed something here?

lmacken ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2000 at 8:02 PM

Have...checked off = checked, possibly? Possibly, when you make the original transparent in Photo Shop Painter (?) it either turns only one level of color transparent leaving a nonsensical anit-alias on the new background; or, alternatively, eats the 1 or 2 pixel wide anti-aliasing as part of that process. Just my .02.

DEL ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2000 at 8:04 PM

If what you are talking about is the ALPHA Channel mask??? Then this is what you do save your render to TIFF format which, as far as I know, is the only format with the AChannel then take it into PSP and mess with it. If you do this with the anti-aliasing "on" in poser you will sometimes get little artifacts around the edge of the mask. You could render to TIFF with the anti-aliasing "off", BUT, render to a large file size, then use post production program that supports image resizing using the anti-alias option, then marginally reduce the size of the image. This will get you what you want and AAlias the edge of the poser figure for you. :-)

lmacken ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2000 at 8:05 PM

...eats half or all the antialiasing... maybe clearer.

picnic ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2000 at 9:27 PM

Yes, there is a 'feather mask' in PSP--in 'modify' under selections. I'm just not quite understanding though. I use .tif all the time taking a figure from Poser to PSP and adding it as layer and don't have much problem. Occasionally I will either 'modify' and contract one pixel or usually nothing. I render with anti/aliasing ON in Poser. I'm not sure we are talking apples and apples though--suspect apples and oranges. You mention making the 'background' in Poser transparent--so do you do it in Poser or in PSP? (Imacken, that's Paintshop Pro S) I have my background in Poser white (or black or whatever--but all the same color--but for me--white works best). Then I save the image as a .tiff, select from the alpha channel in PSP and copy as a layer. Is that what you are doing? Diane B

Rita ( ) posted Fri, 11 February 2000 at 5:55 AM

Let's clarify. The antialias is On in Poser when I render. I've copied and pasted into Paint Shop Pro. How do I get the background to look transparent in Paint shop Pro without losing that smooth rendered Poser look?

picnic ( ) posted Fri, 11 February 2000 at 6:43 AM

Rita, if I'm following correctly, you are saving your rendered antialias image in Poser and then bringing it into PSP where you want the background (that was created in Poser?) to be transparent? Why don't you create your image in Poser but then make the background there "NOT display" if you want to use one to pose your figure to begin with--go to Display and 'clear background' (OR don't add one to begin with--just make the background white). This way you can save your 'figure' as a .tiff, go to PSP and then to selections where you 'select from alpha channel' and then copy and paste as a new layer over your background. That way you can try out as many backgrounds as you wish. I just tried it with one of my saved .tiffs and I didn't have any 'jaggies' at all on that one. What I see in PSP is my figure against a white background, then the alpha channel (mask) selects my figure for an easy copy and paste. Is this what you are doing and you are still getting jaggies? If you are saving a Poser image with a background and then trying to 'delete' or make that background transparent after bringing it into PSP, I don't know. (I tried saving an image with BG in Poser and then selecting--that worked okay for me too). Well, just tried it both ways and I'm not getting jaggies either way and adding the figure over the image in PSP as opposed to rendering it with the background pic in Poser doesn't look appreciably different to me. Why don't you post a pic showing us what you mean--one rendered in Poser and then what you are getting in PSP. That would be helpful. Diane B

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.