Fri, Sep 20, 11:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 7:29 pm)

Subject: FREE STUFF ISSUE

JerseyG ( ) posted Mon, 03 June 2002 at 10:23 AM ยท edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 11:25 PM

I have a small issue with the free stuff section. 1: When you post somthing as being a model, "some" people might expect it to be a model and not just a texture. 2: Half the free models that I have downloaded do not appear in Poser 4 Pro. Even tho thats what they are supposed to be for. If you need to have somthing else in order for the specific models to work. It would be nice if it was stated in the Read me. 3: I figured the Poser Free section would have Poser downloads. Not downloads for other sections also. Just had to get that off my chest.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Mon, 03 June 2002 at 4:29 PM

JerseyG, Look at the format of the model after you unzip it. If it is a .3ds, for example, you import it. If it is a .pz3 (an entire character with clothes is typical), you open it. Not everything will appear in your library windows, because not everything we use is a library item. I don't mind finding .3ds files in the Poser free section, because we can use them just fine, and that gives us even more good things to play with, thanks to the grace of the provider. Carolly

JerseyG ( ) posted Mon, 03 June 2002 at 6:28 PM

Im not bothered by 3DS or Obj or even DFX. What realy bothers me is the fact that a majority of the files do not work with poser 4 even if thats what they are posted as. When you read the readme, It doesnt say any other files are required. Not to mention ,,,the false covers. You download whats supposed to be a prop. When you open the file, its a texture. Thats what makes Buying in the store scary for me. Im not gonna spend 20 buks on what I would think is a prop, to find out its just a texture. I can just imagine how much the texture for that basketball costs :).

Ajax ( ) posted Mon, 03 June 2002 at 7:14 PM

Can you think of any examples? I find the vast majority of the stuff I download is what it says it is. I wouldn't let it put you off the stores, unless the person you were thinking of buying from is that same person that posted a freebie you don't like. Remember there's no quality control or checking or ANYTHING with free stuff. People just post it if they want. The store has rules about what passes and what info has to be in the store description so it's easy to tell what's what there.

View Ajax's Gallery - View Ajax's Freestuff - View Ajax's Store - Send Ajax a message

x2000 ( ) posted Mon, 03 June 2002 at 7:43 PM

Ajax is right. The Marketplace items are tightly regulated. In fact, each item page has a link to the actual "Readme" file, which must list the files included in the package to be approved. So you won't get any ugly surprises there. Free Stuff, on the other hand, is a free-for-all. It's like mining: you may strike gold, you may strike out. So while your complaints are valid, it just goes with the territory. It's sort of like a massive 3D yard sale, except it won't even cost you a dime, just some time. But unlike a yard sale, I guarantee you will find things in Free Stuff that will make it worth your time to dig through the pile.

JerseyG ( ) posted Mon, 03 June 2002 at 9:12 PM

No doubt. I just was ranting due to the past month of finding somthing in the freebies that looked good. But when i put them in the directories they belong, No go. Kinda got a bit irratated with it. You know, when you click on a prop and u get that fast load and the prop is no where to be found. I guess i just lost patience with em for a minute there. What realy doesnt help is , I had to reformat. My 3Ds cd has this huge scratch in it my daughter found was enjoyable to create. How she got into my office? Who knows. Guess we all have our hobbies,,hehe. Needless to say, it refuses to install. In process of getting a new CD. Meanwhile, ill just shave my head til then. Pulling my hair out is starting to hurt:( hehe.

Jaqui ( ) posted Tue, 04 June 2002 at 9:40 AM

actually, I really like the items, both in the store and free stuff, that list on the thumb the requirements NOT included, this makes it easy to know if I should even bother downloading. if I don't have one of the required files then I won't be able to use, why use up bandwitdh downloading and / or goung to the persons site when I know I won't be able to use it.

JerseyG ( ) posted Tue, 04 June 2002 at 3:55 PM

Yea,, Those are great. It would be great if everyone did that. Or atleast half of them.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.