Fri, Sep 20, 9:46 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Any one have any ideas?

Quinn ( ) posted Sun, 09 June 2002 at 9:04 AM ยท edited Fri, 16 August 2024 at 6:22 PM

Morning folks, last night I was politely asked not to use my Minolta D7 at a concert, so I complied and stuck with my Minolta point and shoot camera. The lens on this sucker is 160, but with an F13 at that range. I was shooting 1600 Fuji Pro film (dont remember the name), but I think the shutter speed was still two low to do anything usable, we shall see once I get the film developed. Now to the question. Anyone know of a Point and Shoot type camera that allows for, at least, Shutter Priority. I can work underexposure, in PhotoShop, to some extent. But a blurred image, their is no fix for. I was considering a Nikon, something or other, 5 mega pixel digi cam. But the almost $1000, price tag is out of my reach at this time, but this camera at least looks like a standard point and shoot. And I would actually prefer a film based camera, but Im not set on that, its more of a price thing. Thanks Quinn

Rork1973 ( ) posted Sun, 09 June 2002 at 9:48 AM

Well, basically you're thinking the other way around......what's perhaps best is to look for a camera that has a lens that has a good enough F-number, like 1.8, 2.8 and so on and then you won't need any faster film than 800 at a dark concert. The shutterspeeds will become fast automatically, with or without shutter priority. On the other hand, if you go for shutter priority with a lens that's not bright enough (like 5.6 or even worse) you will underexpose the shots incredibly. In the same situation a 1.2 lens needs only half the light that a 1.4 lens needs for the same shutter speed with the same film. A 1.4 needs half of a 1.8, a 1.8 half of a 2.8 and so on. So it's best to look for a camera with as good as possible f-number, instead of just shutter priority - cause it would be a shame to waste your hard earned money :) Hope that helps a bit =)

mysnapz ( ) posted Sun, 09 June 2002 at 10:35 AM

Quinn I have a friend who does concert photography here in the UK, he is not a professional and he does not sell his pictures, but he gets passes to take pictures from the front usually for the first couple of numbers. All he does is write and ask, the organisers seem to be quite happy to let him, you could try that approach it might work and it will be a lot cheaper than a f1.8 lens. :O)

Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing. Salvador Dali

Quinn ( ) posted Sun, 09 June 2002 at 10:41 AM

Thanks for the advice Rork, and Im searching the net as we speak for something that may do this. The only problem I foresee is being able to use a film with a fine enough grain to do the enlargement at scan time. That and a lens sharp enough to resolve fine detail. Basically I have the capability to scan the neg at 4000 ppi, so with a final image for web use at 72ppi, I could crop the bejevus out of the frame. Along with this I would need spot metering, as at a low magnification the meter would be thrown from background and stage light. Such a camera might be, less expensive than a super-tele model. Example is my Minolta Point and Shoot cost $260, you can get a nice SLR, w/o lens for close to that. Part of my problem is that I have been spoiled by concerts that allow any camera, except video. I think they dont expect me to walk in with a Nikon N-90s with a 400mm lens hanging off the end, but they set the rules.

Quinn ( ) posted Sun, 09 June 2002 at 10:51 AM

Mysnapz, you posted wile I was typing:-} I thought of this as well, but the folks I usually go to see, are supper big names in the Country Music genre. My preference is to go to smaller shows were all cameras are allowed, and one of my favorite artists has actually requested images from me. And like youre friend, I refuse to sell images. I did have the idea of asking the sponsoring radio stations if they needed someone for their own images, I looked at some of their work lately and it is quite bad for someone with a press pass. But we will see. Ill work up some images so you can see what I typically like doing.

Quinn ( ) posted Sun, 09 June 2002 at 11:27 AM

file_11811.jpg

Taken last year, Portra 800?, 28-80 Nikkor Lens, N-90s. This is one of the picts that the Artist requested. If you listen to country music, he sings I breath in, I breath out and Country by the Grace of God

Quinn ( ) posted Sun, 09 June 2002 at 11:34 AM

file_11812.jpg

Taken last weekend, 200-400mm F 5.6 Tammron Lens, (400mm), Supra 100, N-90s. This guy sings several top songs, most recent is Im Going to Miss Her, (The Fishing Song)".

Now both of these are outdoor, and I know Ill not be able to get this kind of quality indoors, but you see what I mean by being spoiled.

Rork1973 ( ) posted Sun, 09 June 2002 at 1:27 PM

Well, if you want low grain you should at least shoot with Fuji Provia 400, which gives you the sharpness and lowgrain of a 100/50 film but with a great speed :) If you can get to the front (btw great advice mysnapz =) you should do crazy stuff with a cheap 1.8 or 1.4 50mm Nikkor (Maybe $25-$50 or so) and a good, 2nd hand body....like a Nikon 8008 or a 801 which shouldn't cost anymore than $150 or $200 in perfect condition. You'll have both shutter priority and a great lens ;)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.