Sat, Sep 21, 3:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Tiles help!!

bikermouse ( ) posted Sun, 09 June 2002 at 8:09 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 3:29 AM

Hello All, I don't usually post on Photoshop forum, but I've got two (I hope) simple problems. I'm using Photoshop 5.0 LE. (well o.k. so that 3 problems - but for now it'll have to do until I can afford the real thing.) I searched the word tile and came up with a version dependant answer that doesn't seem to apply to 5.0 LE. ok heres the problems: 1) I want to be able to make a tileable texture(one that is repeatable seamlessly in both x and y directions.) 2) I want to be able to tile it in photoshop other than by manually placing copies next to each other. the tiles should not overlap nor show any gap. Is there any way using 5.0 LE to do this? Message671424.jpg - Thanks, bikermouse

dreamer101 ( ) posted Sun, 09 June 2002 at 10:09 PM

It's hard to remember that far back and I never had the LE version. Hmmmmm. Image Ready did not come with version 5. It had a Tile Maker filter. I'm not sure what version the Define Pattern started in Photoshop. Make a selection then go to File - Define Pattern. Once the pattern is defined you can fill page with Edit - Fill using pattern. There is also a filter by Xaos called Terrazzo with does nice symmetry tiling job.

bikermouse ( ) posted Sun, 09 June 2002 at 11:48 PM

dreamer: there the problem lies - "define pattern" doesn't show up in the edit choices. thanks for the help ... Xaos' Terrazzo? Is there a url ? (I'll see what I can find on it.) I may have to make a c++ solution to this problem, shouldn't take over a couple of days if I do, but you'd think that would have been one of the first things photoshop did, wouldn't you? Message671424.jpg - again thanks and good rendering.

retrocity ( ) posted Sun, 09 June 2002 at 11:58 PM

Biker, there may be some actions available to achive what you looking to accomplish. I'll look at Xchange and see. what type of tile are you looking to create?? is it a complex texture?? i've seen some tut's that show how to do it by hand if your interested in that direction, i'll try to round-up the URL's... :) retocity

dreamer101 ( ) posted Mon, 10 June 2002 at 12:27 AM

Xaos Tools It comes with a few filters: Paint Alchemy Segmation Terrazzo Type Caster

bikermouse ( ) posted Mon, 10 June 2002 at 5:25 AM

retrocity: as far as the type of tile. something resembling a wrinkled sheet that can wrap around seamlessly.(to be used in bryce to make a wave that can be repeated - for a loop animation showing moving water.) regarding doing them by hand - yes, please. dreamer: found Xaos. For what I want to do with it, its way too expensive. I'll keep it in mind, though. - thanks for your help.

Heronheart ( ) posted Mon, 10 June 2002 at 10:30 AM

I'm not sure if 5LE has this, but try Filter/Other/Offset. set it for about half the pixel dimensions of your page. That will show you where your seams are. Now use the clone tool to cover over your seams. Stay away from the edges of the image or you will create new seams. Run the offset filter a few more times at random settings to make sure you've gotten all the seams. "Define Pattern" usually won't show up in the menu unless you've made a rectangular selecton with no feathering.

bikermouse ( ) posted Mon, 10 June 2002 at 10:01 PM

Heronheart. Thanks I'll try that. meantime I found a solution to the repeating part in corel and I think it supports the seamless tile too. Corel supports the bitmap tile as part of the fill function. so it's no longer time critical, but it would still be nice to be able to manipulate photoshop a little better. I suspect that you are right that I'm just not doing the right things to make "define pattern" show up. I'll commit your post to notepad and try it later this eve. - Thank you for your efforts

dreamer101 ( ) posted Tue, 11 June 2002 at 11:48 AM

If Define Pattern is in the list and just grayed out then it is something you are not doing right. As Heronheart said you have to make a selection with no feathering or it will be grayed out.

Heronheart ( ) posted Fri, 14 June 2002 at 12:40 AM

In the "Goodies" folder on my Photoshop 7 CD I found a filter called "Texture Fill.8BF" that will tile any image in PSD format into a selection. It appears to be a legacy from the days before "fill with pattern". It's probably on your CD if it's not already installed in your plug-ins folder. - Ken Heronheart -

bikermouse ( ) posted Fri, 14 June 2002 at 12:59 AM

Heronheart: Thank you I'll check this out. I'm beginning to think that this one of the features they left out of 4.0 LE. (It's just that it's so basic, it's hard to believe that they'd leave it out of any version.) Like I say it's no longer time critical,as I can do it in corel if I have to without any prob and import it into photoshop as a photoshop file. I'll try looking for the 8BF file. - Thanks for your help.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.