Wed, Sep 18, 11:50 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Dark shadow

kruse ( ) posted Wed, 19 June 2002 at 5:53 AM ยท edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 6:58 PM

Hi All, we tried our Bryce 5 and got questions in how to make the settings for a realistic scenery. For example we imported some Poser-People into Bryce. After we had rendered the scenery, we noticed very dark shadows at the bodies of the objects. No doubt, the shadows are at the right position, but the shadowed parts of the body are too dark (nearly black). We tried a lot to make better renders (settings in atmosphere, sky, clouds, sun,....) but we failed. Any ideas how to make more realistic shadows? Thank's in advance Matthias + Daniel Kruse

yrtrouble2 ( ) posted Wed, 19 June 2002 at 8:46 AM

Hi Guys, I usually add a radial light set to squared to light up areas of poser figures even when they are outside. You can adjust the intensity up or down to match the rest of your lighting and move the light closer or further away. I use as many as it takes to get the right lighting. Perhaps others have better way to do this but it works for me! g Cie

johnpenn ( ) posted Wed, 19 June 2002 at 9:14 AM

If you increase the Ambience setting in the Materials editor of the objects with the too dark shadows (sounds like the ground from your decription), it ought to help. Be aware however, that Ambience is a fickle mistress, and if you add too much, your image gets ugly right quick.

kromekat ( ) posted Wed, 19 June 2002 at 10:49 AM

A setting of 80-100 diffusion and 20 ambience will serve you for most purposes, but also be aware that ambience relates to the settings in the sky/atmosphere figures, there fore setting a white ambience value of 20 will make no difference at all if global ambience is set to black in the sky menu! It can indeed be a fickle balance with all the settings!

Adam Benton | www.kromekat.com

Aldaron ( ) posted Wed, 19 June 2002 at 12:18 PM

Try going into the sky lab (if you are using the sun for the light source) and reducing the shadow intensity from 90 (default) to something light 50. Also you can change the color of the shadow.

Allen9 ( ) posted Wed, 19 June 2002 at 12:28 PM

The shadow setting in the sky lab also affects the darkness/intensity of shadows cast by the radial and other lights - I found out by accident. Now, when I create any scene, the FIRST thing I do is go into the skylab and reset the shadows to around 40 or so. Later I usually tweak it, but I've found that the range of 40 - 50 gives the best results in most cases.

tjohn ( ) posted Wed, 19 June 2002 at 12:33 PM

If you're not using Soft shadows, this can help. You have to turn on the sun's soft shadow in the Skylab and in Render settings in order to get it to work. The suggestions above are also very good and I have used them all at one time or another. Good Luck!

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

EricofSD ( ) posted Wed, 19 June 2002 at 11:10 PM

I've tried all of the above. Personally, I prefer not using ambinance and instead, using spotlights. Best wishes.

kruse ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2002 at 3:38 AM

Hi All, thank's a million for all the good hints. We are going to try all and hopefully we are satisfied with the result. Have a nice day Daniel + Matthias

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.