Sat, Sep 21, 3:39 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Creating small (file size) thumbs

nahaefs ( ) posted Wed, 26 June 2002 at 2:52 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 3:31 PM

So I uploaded a new pic today and I had a horrendous time getting the thumbnail to acceptable size. I couldn't for the life of me get it to 15k until I shrunk it to 100x100 at 72dpi and saved it with 0 as the jpeg quality. I have never had this much trouble making a thumb.

I'm using PS 5.0. And I'm self-taught so I know little about how the files are actually composited. If anyone has any suggestions, I would LOVE to hear them!

Teach me. I'm an empty vessel.
NAH

retrocity ( ) posted Wed, 26 June 2002 at 3:25 PM

I usually crop a small segment of the actual image, selecting someting that may entice the viewer to take a look. I've not had a problem with thumbs being 200px-X-200px @ 72dpi with my JPG compression around 60-80. What was the file size of the full image? As a little tip, i often "flatten" the layers before i crop out my thumbnail area. REMEMBER to "save" your file BEFORE you flatten and crop. This way you can "revert" back to your layered full size file for further modification if you want. :) retrocity

Slynky ( ) posted Wed, 26 June 2002 at 3:49 PM

also, i find that saving a thumb thru imageready produces higher quality thumbs at a lower file size. I don't use imageready for thumbs unless i encounter the same problem you did dude. Give it a run thru imageready and see what happens.

nahaefs ( ) posted Wed, 26 June 2002 at 7:49 PM

The original file was only about 300K, that's why I was so confused! And, of course, it was flattened as that's the only way to get a jpeg. I don't have imageready, but I'll see what I can do. Thanks!

Rustbucket ( ) posted Thu, 27 June 2002 at 12:03 AM

Also I've found that the image file size that Photoshop says it is can be misleading since the actual file size is dramatically smaller when saved as a JPG. Try saving your thumb file at 200x200 at 72dpi and checking out the file size under Properties. Its usually alot smaller than it displays in the Image Size window of Photoshop.

bevchiron ( ) posted Thu, 27 June 2002 at 12:22 AM

I had this problem at first but found that as long as the thumb is within 200x200 the actual file size doesn't seem to matter, it will upload at more than 15k.

elusive.chaos

"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star...." (Nietzsche)

Slynky ( ) posted Fri, 28 June 2002 at 9:04 AM

you dont have to flatten anything to make a jpeg file, just click save as, and the file will automatically be flattened, and then you can still keep the file with the layers by saving as a psd. also, Imageready is automatically bundled with Photoshop. If you clikc "Save for Web" imageready will open up so long as it's been installed.

Slynky ( ) posted Fri, 28 June 2002 at 9:04 AM

of course with version 5.0, I'm not actually sure now...

lundqvist ( ) posted Fri, 28 June 2002 at 9:23 AM

Didn't "save for the Web" and Imageready ship with 5.5? 5.0 offers JPG as a save file format and GIF as an export format, I think. Any JPG fitting within Rendo's 50x50 to 200x200 rule can be compressed to under 15K Id've hoped.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.