Fri, Sep 20, 9:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Space Craft W.I.P.

Julian_Boolean ( ) posted Mon, 15 July 2002 at 10:35 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 9:21 AM

file_16492.JPG

Haven't posted anything in a loooong time, but here's what I'm currently working on. I'm pleased with the paint job (thanks to UV Mapper), and I'm in the processs of making bumpmaps. The next step is a detailed cockpit so the canopy won't have to be opaque. Your comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Jim Z. a.k.a. Julian Boolean

PAGZone ( ) posted Tue, 16 July 2002 at 12:35 AM

Cool Jim. I think it looks awesome! Was this modelled completley in Carrara? Did you use 1 or 2? I Like the craft, it is a cool design. Can't wait to see them after you get the bump map and cockpit finished. Great Stuff! Regards, -Paul

Kixum ( ) posted Tue, 16 July 2002 at 12:59 AM

Very nice! -Kix

-Kix

ashley3d ( ) posted Tue, 16 July 2002 at 6:59 AM

Unique in its appearance, and a very design Julian. Is it made for atmosphere or space? The inside wing looks a little thick to be used in an atmosphere. UV Mapping is off to a good start, just don't forget all the other maps that make a model look photorealistic. --Ashley3D

twillis ( ) posted Tue, 16 July 2002 at 7:32 AM

Oh, wow. That looks terrific.

ashley3d ( ) posted Tue, 16 July 2002 at 9:09 AM

I like the image you made for the 15 minute challenge. Keep up the good work --Ashley3D

velarde ( ) posted Tue, 16 July 2002 at 9:57 AM

Jim: Great work! How long did it took you to model it? Just one comment, since you asked opinions. I guess this is personal test but the numbers look a little weird,,, maybe it's that they are rotated... 'cause the wing is not straight, but I'd make them a little smaller.. or better yet put a star or other symbol (space academy.. space rangers logo, clan markings ,stripes or whatever you come up with.... They also look too nice and crisp. Maybe you could make them a little faded, worn.. so the space ship doesn't look brand new... Some dirt or battle scars? Any way, great work!

WeaBeast ( ) posted Tue, 16 July 2002 at 10:44 AM

Nice Job! I'll agree with velarde, the numbers throw me off as well. I like it anyway. Mike

AzChip ( ) posted Tue, 16 July 2002 at 4:40 PM

Really cool, Mr. Z. Good to see that you're still around, too.... Kind of a retro future look; reminds me of 1950's and '40's sci-fi. Would love to see it in motion; do the wings articulate? - Dex

bluetone ( ) posted Wed, 17 July 2002 at 1:17 PM

I would agree with velarde also. Some dirt and scars mixed in randomly. Maybe some laser holes? It looks like the outer wings do fold from the 15 minute challenge. Maybe some grease streaks around that point on the wings? The model looks great! Is it a 2-seater? Fore and aft? So, for inside the cockpit, the pilot in front, and a weapons officer/navigator behind with an array of dials/monitors/radar/etc. around him/her/it. I can't wait to see it swooping through the sky, heading towards the stars...

Julian_Boolean ( ) posted Fri, 19 July 2002 at 6:49 AM

Hello all,
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Some of you had questions, so here's the scoop. Modeled in... Ray Dream Studio v5.5, all parts are free-form (spline) models.
The individual parts were then exported as obj files, mapped with UV Mapper, painted in CorelDraw and Corel PhotoPaint, then brought back into RayDream.
Due to RayDream's poor handling of bump maps, the next renders will be from Carrara Studio 1.1.
Modeling time was embarrassingly long, but educational.
I envisioned the craft as a two-seater with the cockpit configured exactly as described by Bluestone (you been peeking in my sketch book?), functioning as a surface-to-space fighter.
I'm in the process of re-modeling the wings so that they can fold up for easy storage.
Regarding battle damage, weathering and insignia; those will be changed/added when I come up with a specific scene for the model to appear in. The basic paint job was created as a vector graphic which allows for very easy modification.

Here's a question for the room. Can a model composed of several obj files, each with their own texturemap, be brought into Poser - and if so - is there a tutorial showing how to best prepare the model for that process?

Thanks all,
Jim Z. a.k.a. Julian Boolean

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.