Fri, Sep 20, 3:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Cel shading in bryce5!?

lexland ( ) posted Sun, 14 July 2002 at 8:04 AM ยท edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 3:25 PM

Just a question... Does anybody know if Bryce materials (or some other function)can somehow simulate cel shading?

Stephen Ray ( ) posted Sun, 14 July 2002 at 3:23 PM

Excuses my ignorance, define cell shading.

Stephen Ray

EricofSD ( ) posted Sun, 14 July 2002 at 4:21 PM

There's a lot you can do with the matlab and lighting and I'm with stephen ray, don't recognize the term. Tell us more and maybe we can help you out.

Aldaron ( ) posted Sun, 14 July 2002 at 5:48 PM

Cell shading is what is done with cartoons. Max has a plugin that does cell shading. Not sure how to do it in Bryce, perhaps just flat colors.

Stephen Ray ( ) posted Sun, 14 July 2002 at 8:05 PM

Attached Link: http://stevesartgallery.bryce-alive.net/gallery9/greenearrings/pic108.html

Ok I understand now, Bryce isn't really designed to do the cartoon like shading like a vector program can produce. But there are some things you might try. Like you said use flat one color material, and try using the ambient channel for the primary color, this will help flatten out the color. Also try disabling ( self shadows ) in the material lab ( material options ). I have noticed that off color lighting will also give the environment a cartoon like appearance. Check out this pic to see what I mean. http://stevesartgallery.bryce-alive.net/gallery9/greenearrings/pic108.html

Stephen Ray

joke ( ) posted Mon, 15 July 2002 at 2:09 AM

Poser has "Sketch" rendering after effect. It's not cell shading but nice anyway. How to get a Bryce render into Poser?: 1) Render your Bryce to AVI 2) Open Up Poser and import the AVI as a background 3) Set render settings in Poser to Sketch and render again I'm sure you can do the same using some other program. Just Bryce does not have a cell shading option imho.

sanvito ( ) posted Tue, 16 July 2002 at 12:23 AM

What if you loaded the final pic into Photoshop and did a Posterize effect on it? Steve S.

lexland ( ) posted Wed, 17 July 2002 at 7:19 AM

Didn't think I could generate such a number of different answers! Thanks to all of you guys!

LittleFishArtist ( ) posted Thu, 18 July 2002 at 8:28 PM

I know exactly what you mean, games like Jet Grind Radio & the upcoming Zelda game for the Gamecube. The closest I have come to cel-shading is in Poser. When you use the "Cartoon mode," or the "Cartoon mode w/ outline," that looks like cel-shading...

lexland ( ) posted Fri, 19 July 2002 at 6:49 PM

Yes, that's it. I've found the two poser modes a little messy, especially the second one, while sanvito's solution seems to be faster and closer to what I was looking for. Thanks again guys!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.