Fri, Sep 20, 7:01 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: increasing resolution in flat/straight objects w/out smoothing ?

roedertin ( ) posted Mon, 29 July 2002 at 2:25 PM · edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 11:57 AM

dear all,
probably it's like a very boring question to most of you, but I'm new at C2 and I just can't get one thing figured out : How do I create a flat object that's supposed to render with straight, sharp edges, like a wall with a window in it for example, with a high resolution but no smoothing effect ?! I've used the subdivide command and it increases poly count alright, but it makes my wall look like a soft pillow or something. please please anybody ???!! this is so frustrating !

Patrick_210 ( ) posted Mon, 29 July 2002 at 5:37 PM

Flatten out a cube, rotate for a wall - boolean another for a simple window.

ashley3d ( ) posted Mon, 29 July 2002 at 6:07 PM

Welcome roedertin to the forum. It is great having you here. Also there are no "boring" questions. We've all been there before...the newbee thinking his questions is to simple to post to the forum. "Pssst...keep this just between us. Some people around here have mental issues." "Wink" "wink"

litst ( ) posted Mon, 29 July 2002 at 6:23 PM

I really don't know what Ashley's talking about ... Roerdetin, if the angles of your models don't appear sharp but smooth instead, you must crease the edges . In the vertex modeller, you can crease the selected edges from the selection menu . Or you can use the Crease tool (C key) and click on the edges you want to crease . Note that if you hold alt, the Crease tool with smooth edges . Last thing, you can't have creased edges when you use subdivision surfaces . I hope it helps, litst

roedertin ( ) posted Tue, 30 July 2002 at 4:56 AM

thanks so much everybody,

i will try again, especially the creasing sounds good to me. what i'm still wondering about though, i've downloaded the model of a wall with a gothic window in it - forgot by whom it was, really neat anyway - and it clearly looks like it's been subdivided, like it has all those very very small polygons, and still it renders totally flat and straight, like a wall should. could i achieve this maybe by just adding vertices and edges within my models per hand ? or else, what about this triangulating command within c2 ? would that make my models look better ? see if i don't do something like subdividing, if i export the models as OBJ to let's say poser for instance, they render with strange disturbances, especially at the edges, and it looks like they've split up in triangle polygons all by themselves which even cast shadows... know what i mean ?
thanks again !

litst ( ) posted Tue, 30 July 2002 at 5:52 AM

You could post screenshots to show us ... I think you talk about the famous black edge bug . There are often solutions for this problem . You can crease edges by angle, which is very useful . When you import a model, most of the time there will be a smoothing angle function . Also, the crease edges function in the VM can do this too . litst

roedertin ( ) posted Tue, 30 July 2002 at 6:20 AM

file_18125.jpg

hi again,

now I've done a render of a plain, standard, un - subdivided c2 - block in poser 4, and it looks just terrible, doesn't it ? where do those strange disturbances come from, and what is the "black edge bug" ? and, most of all, how do i change this ?????
tina

Kixum ( ) posted Tue, 30 July 2002 at 11:20 AM

The easiest way to do this is in the spline modeler. Draw two boxes (one inside the other) and then combine as compound. Voila! -Kix

-Kix

roedertin ( ) posted Tue, 30 July 2002 at 1:30 PM

hi Kix

yeah thanks, i know about the compound thing, and it's fine for simple objects really, but it doesn't solve the problem with the strange edges and black shadows as in the picture i submitted. also, i can't really create more complicated objects in the spline modeler i think, because it's too limited. so, how can i make my vertex objects render nicely and make them look as straight and flat in poser as they do in c2 itself ????
tina

Nicholas86 ( ) posted Tue, 30 July 2002 at 8:30 PM

Ahhh you didn't say you were importing it into poser...poser does some weird things to imported meshes...I would direct this question in the Poser forum...I seem to recall and issue with imports..can't remember the solution. Brian

roedertin ( ) posted Wed, 31 July 2002 at 4:16 AM

thats a good hint really, thanks brian ! i was wondering anyway why the mesh looked quite fine in carrara and so totally messed up in poser...i will check if i can find anything on that topic in the poser forum. thanx again to everybody for being so helpful, it's great to have folks like you around !
tina

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.