Sat, Sep 21, 3:21 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Photoshop frustration with psd format

Chailynne ( ) posted Wed, 31 July 2002 at 12:20 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 1:50 AM

Over the last couple months I've been trying to learn more about photoshop. I've used paint shop pro for years but there were things in photoshop I wanted to use so I splurged. Anyhow, when I render in poser I save as a psd file. Paint shop pro and Photoshop can open this file. But if I use photoshop to do postwork first and resave it, paint shop pro can't open it even though it will give a preview thumb for it. I get a not a valid psd file from paint shop pro. This is very frustrating as I am more comfortable in PSP and still do the things I don't know how to do with PSP. Anyone know what's going on here? btw... this is Photoshop 6.0.1.

retrocity ( ) posted Wed, 31 July 2002 at 12:38 PM

It may be the way the native file format (PSD) is saved. Saving right out of Poser, there is only one layer (and maybe an alpha channel). When you do your post work is it on different layers? Try and "flatten" to image (save a copy if you need the actual layer file) and see if PSP will open that. Paint Shop Pro might be "tossing up" on the layers. :) retrocity

Slynky ( ) posted Wed, 31 July 2002 at 3:28 PM

you could do it a really convoluted way, meaning saving each individual layer you work on in photoshop, or just the layer you wanna work on in PSP, and just load'em into that.

dreamer101 ( ) posted Wed, 31 July 2002 at 7:01 PM

PSP 7 doesn't have the features PS 7 has. If you are using some of those features PSP will not open the psd. I don't use PSP much .. except when forced to. I've had that problem.

Chailynne ( ) posted Wed, 31 July 2002 at 9:31 PM

Well, I'm using PS 6. And PSP 7. PSP does use layers and alpha channels so I'm really confused on why it won't work. The PS actions I use flatten the image when it's done so there is only one layer plus the alpha unless PS saves it funny for some reason. Maybe I'll just have to come up with a new order of doing things to work around it. sigh

retrocity ( ) posted Wed, 31 July 2002 at 9:56 PM

Chailynne, I checked with JASC, and they said the problem is that Adobe changed the FFS (File Format Specs) and they hope to have a fix in the near future...

Excerpt of JASC's support response:

I cannot open Photoshop 6 images in Paint Shop Pro 7 even though the PSD format is supported. What am I doing wrong?

Because Adobe changed their File Format Specification with the release of photoshop 6, Paint Shop Pro 7 does not have the support needed to open this file type. We are currently looking into this issue and hope to add this support in future versions of Paint Shop Pro.

Looks like you may need to try using an older version of Photoshop...

:)
retrocity

Chailynne ( ) posted Thu, 01 August 2002 at 3:52 AM

Thanks! LOL I think I'll stick with figuring out a new order to doing postwork instead since I only bought 6.0 and don't have the older ones. ;)

Heronheart ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 5:03 PM

Try going to Edit/Preferences/File Handling and checking "Always maximize compatability for Photoshop (PSD) Files". This will increase your file size, but it should cause PhotoShop to save a flattened version of the file along with the layered version. The flattened version should open in PSP. If you need to work on a particular layer from Photoshop in PSP it's often quickest to just copy and paste between the two applications. Hope that helps, - Ken Heronheart -

Rork1973 ( ) posted Tue, 06 August 2002 at 8:01 PM

I think that should be "You can't open PSD files, because JASC didn't keep up with the changes that were made in Photoshop more than 1 1/2 years ago" :) Dreamer101 is right, it's just a matter of getting to know where your things are, but PSP is really limited...you'll notice it as soon as you're using photoshop a bit more.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.