Mon, Oct 21, 10:37 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 9:06 pm)

Subject: Poser 5 in Computer Graphics World

sbucci ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 7:20 AM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 10:36 PM

For those of you that get Computer Graphics World magazine, there is a new ad for Poser 5 in it. It's got new (but small) screenshots different from "California Dreaming" and the box shot (which looks way cool).

Philywebrider ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 7:39 AM

Well shucci... don't keep us in suspense, how much was it? and did it give the required computer specs? and did it say when it would be available?

c1rcle ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 7:42 AM

heat you scanner up and let us see it please. Rob

Philywebrider ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 7:44 AM

Right on Rob!

c1rcle ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 7:47 AM

pretty please ;) I ask because nowhere round my way sells that magazine. thanks Rob

audity ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 8:27 AM

yes, SCAN IT ! please ! I want to see the box !!!

:) Eric

sbucci ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 8:44 AM

ok...I guess I shouldn't have said anything because now when I say I don't have a working scanner, you guys/girls are all going to get mad at me. If no one else posts a scan, I'll try and snap a pic tonight with my digital camera.

c1rcle ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 9:18 AM

quick get the rope ready, I bags kicking the stool away :) j/k, I'm too busy crying to get mad at you. Rob

JABevan ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 1:07 PM

file_18498.jpg

At your service! ;)

JABevan ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 1:10 PM

Congrats Steve, Poser 5 looks like a serious accomplishment for your team! I can't wait to get my hands on the Mac OS X version when it arrives!!! JABevan

c1rcle ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 1:13 PM

JABevan I could kiss you but I won't just in case you're a man, thank you thank you :) Rob

c1rcle ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 1:14 PM

just checked, you are a man, so a handshake will have to do :)

SAMS3D ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 2:28 PM

Yep, that is what my mag says too....isn't this great...Sharen

audity ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 4:02 PM

now that's strange ! Why did they use Kosaburo's hair for this advertising if POSER 5 can make "dynamic strand-based hair" ?!?!

And why did they choose an image done with POSER 4, BRYCE and PHOTOSHOP to illustrate POSER 5's new "micro-polygon and ray-traced" rendering engine ?!? This image was not rendered in POSER 5 and the hair is a 2D Photoshop work !

I saw this picture ("waiting" by Ian and Dominic Higgins) 8 months ago in 3D World magazine. You can see it here : http//:www.livingposer.com

Well, it's not a big deal, but I find this advertising really strange... They could at least show one POSER 5 render with these "strand-based hair".

:) Eric

williamsheil ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 4:10 PM

Yeah, I thought it was weird too, but maybe the ad has been in prepration for a while. Steve wasn't showing off the renderer in the California Dreaming thread either, so I guess at that time it may still have been 'work in progress', and that wasn't long ago. Bill

EoIpso ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 6:29 PM

Torben told me about some kind of advertisment ( since texture here is Heiata :) but it looks great ! Congrats Zrincx!!

Philywebrider ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 7:18 PM

Any Idea why the ad ran in an magazine, and not on CL's website? If they posted to their website and/or a few poser sites,a lot more people would see it then in any one shot in an magazine, isn't that the whole idea of advertising, get the info out to the customer? If the poser people are screaming for P5, why not aim the ad at them directly? Am I missing something?

wdupre ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 8:16 PM

ads generaly have to be submitted months in advance I assume that would be the reason for the discrepencys and as for the website update I'm sure they wanted all the pix on the official website to be authentic, and there's no way thy can ask the magazene destributer to delay their issue to coincide with the launch of the website.

kupa ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 8:32 PM

Some good observations in this thread. At the time we were developing this ad, and readying it for release, we were lacking some feature implementation. In the meantime, getting to showcase and credit some great Poser artists is always a good thing. I'm still waiting for one last little bit of important data to arrive here so I can start doing some real renderings of the new p5 figures.

Momcat ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 11:11 PM

^_^

markdc ( ) posted Sat, 03 August 2002 at 1:14 AM

It looks like you guys have a winner on your hands. I can't wait to get it!

Zrincx ( ) posted Sat, 03 August 2002 at 4:34 AM

Thanks alot for the credits, Im simply speechless! (I can hardly wait to get this app. like anyone else, but, man, I look forward to see the new family CL created,, please post a render, please! :-)

Zrincx ( ) posted Sat, 03 August 2002 at 5:18 AM

And thanks to JABevan of course for scanning this, Im not sure I can find this Magazine here either.

crisjon1950 ( ) posted Sat, 03 August 2002 at 8:25 AM

All I can say is "wow again." Decades ago, I "worked in advertising." It is necessary to work weeks or months in advance in order to get everything ready for release in time. I was always confused about the seasons between the newspaper ads and the "reality of the season" outside the building.

kupa ( ) posted Sat, 03 August 2002 at 1:26 PM

Torben, Really amazing image! Be sure to have Karen grab a copy of CGW for you, and as well, we can likely get a good color output of the ad slick. I believe the ad will also be running in the next Renderosity Magazine issue, and they run some of the best color and paper I've ever seen outside of a coffee-table book. Steve Cooper

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Sun, 04 August 2002 at 12:03 AM

Just for comparison purposes, I'm reposting this image:

Message541676.jpg

crisjon1950 ( ) posted Sun, 04 August 2002 at 12:16 AM

Damn, that brings back old memories. I no longer have my Poser 1 box, but still have the manual and floppies....

canary3d ( ) posted Thu, 08 August 2002 at 7:40 PM

now that is a hoot. I never saw poser 1 but I remember seeing poser 2 and thinking it was the most amazing thing ever, lol...can't wait for poser 5! MaryCanary

Philywebrider ( ) posted Thu, 08 August 2002 at 8:37 PM

CL has Poser5 on its website, price, system needed, specs, but no ship date yet, they do say summer. Soon...

duanemoody ( ) posted Fri, 09 August 2002 at 3:08 PM

There was once a gallery website devoted to linking to other peoples' Poser 1 renders that contained sarcastic caption-titles for the poor faceless, gonadless creatures. One day I made the mistake of trying to find it again in a search engine; I found a website from some company named Zygote, and eight hundred dollars later, here I am. Anyone know what happened to that gallery site?

pdxjims ( ) posted Tue, 13 August 2002 at 12:24 PM

Just looked at the Curious Labs website. Still no release date, but they have set the prices. "Upgrades to Poser 5 from previous versions of Poser are available at the following US$ prices direct from the Curious Labs web store. Purchase of the Poser 5 upgrade will require a valid Poser serial number, and you may only purchase one upgrade serial number. $209 - Poser 1, 2, 3 Mac or Win to Poser 5 Win $179 - Poser 4 Mac or Win to Poser 5 Win $129 - Poser 4 + Pro Pack Mac or Win to Poser 5 Win" For me, this is good news. I can afford the $179 upgrade. Now, can I just be patient....

Philywebrider ( ) posted Tue, 13 August 2002 at 12:30 PM

One vender says 8/16/2002 is the date the have fron CL for shipmentof P5. Keep your fingers crossed.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.