Tue, Oct 22, 9:56 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 9:37 am)

Subject: OK so I'm a cheapskate!!

sueya ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 8:10 AM Ā· edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 9:54 AM

I thoght the release of Poser 5 would make Poser 4 a lot cheaper. Curious labs site said upgrade from P3 is $59 but
this is the US price only. UK price is 105. Does anyone know of somewhere I can get an upgrade for less than that?
I saw a copy on an auction site but it said there were no manuals available which sounded a bit suspect.

hogwarden ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 8:42 AM

Yeah... definately steer away from auction, e-bay etc. They tend to be warez copies and CL needs to say if it's OK to transfer the license, anyway. I have a feeling that the international prices haven't been updated yet... the 105 price has been there for a while. H:)

BazC ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 9:12 AM

No, sorry, I queried this yesterday when the UK price was 115 +VAT. 105 is the offer price :o( I'm in the same boat, my only hope is that once P5 is launched there'll be a sale on P4 at retail outlets. OK so I'm a cheapskate too. :o) Also, considering how cheaply CL are selling off P4 and PP in the states it's just possible that P4 will be given away on a magazine cover CD at some point. Probably be a good 6months to a year before that happens though. Baz

hogwarden ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 9:57 AM

Sh*t that is a real bummer. Why don't they sort this out? AMERICA LISTEN!!! WE IN THE UK PAY $184.50 FOR THE SAME BARGAIN UPGRADE FROM P3 TO P4 WHICH YOU CAN GET FOR $59! How much the hell is the Poser 5 upgrade going to be in the UK????? No... you're not a cheapskate, you just have the ability to sense when YOU ARE BEING RIPPED OFF. Maybe this explains why so many people turn to less legitimate sources for their software.

EvoShandor ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 10:24 AM

What is the justification for such a high price?

crisjon1950 ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 11:34 AM

Tell me, how does the currency or exchange rate work these days? What is the value of the US dollar compared to the pound, or whatever your version of the dollar is? Are these "high prices" merely a result of our differences in currency/exchange or whatever it's called?

Greebo ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 12:09 PM

$59 roughly translates to 38.50. I'm in the same boat, living in the uk. We routinely pay more for, well, just about everything. Drives me nuts. I'm quite concerned about what the upgrade for p5 is going to be. It'd be so much easier if we could download the programme from the CL site and at the same time order the manual.

shadowcat ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 12:33 PM

well you can buy & download pro pack for $199 I haven't seen this for P4 though quote from CL: "Poser Pro Pack e-Version (Downloadable, Windows, English, Requires Poser 4) $ 199.00"

crisjon1950 ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 12:48 PM

OK, so if you routinely pay more for other items, then I'd guess you can't blame Curious Labs for the higher prices. Maybe it's a good idea to contact your government, the US Government, or whatever commercial agencies might be involved in handling international trade, tarriffs, etc. I haven't paid much attention to all that stuff myself. I'm just thankful to live in the good ole USA.

BazC ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 1:09 PM

crijon1950, it has nothing to do with import duty or tax, these are based on a percentage of purchase price. I don't know the percentages, but I do know they add up to well under 50%. We pay these high prices because the people selling the goods (cars in particular) charge excessive markups. This has been argued about for years in the UK and no-one seems to know what to do about it. Having said all that Poser is Curious lab's product and they obviously have a right to charge whatever they like, but it is ultimately them that controls the price not the British or American governments. Baz

chohole ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 1:14 PM

I distinctly remember Kupa saying in one of the myriad other posts that the price scale for uk was wrong on this upgrade and would be sorted. sorry can't remember which thread, there are so many.

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to developĀ  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

steveshanks ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 1:23 PM

its not much but http://www.computersunlimited.co.uk/productpage.asp?family_id=8397 have it for 84.99 Steve

BazC ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 1:31 PM

Yes that was my thread earlier, it has been changed now, but it's still 105. Baz

hogwarden ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 4:43 PM

Hey... sorry about the rant, guys... Cho... thanks for putting our minds at rest!! Hey... I don't mean to imply that CL are responsible for the price differences... it's the importers/distributers who are at fault. Poser is a small volume-run program with a limited niche market... things like this are bound to happen if the pricing structure is not under the direct control of CL. H:)

BazC ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 5:41 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12356&Form.ShowMessage=815813

Without meaning to depress everybody too much, the thread that chohole is referring to is one I started yesterday questioning the UK price of the Poser4 upgrade. It was actually Starlet who replied saying that the price was old and has now been corrected. I checked and it has indeed been reduced by 10 from 115 to 105. The price on Curious Labs website at the moment is the UK offer price.

Baz

BazC ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 6:18 PM

Well I've just had a few words with Starlet in another thread and the retail price here in the UK is fixed by the distributers (obviously) and Curious Labs do not have any influence over the distributers pricing. The price in the Curious Labs online store is set so as not to compete with the retail price here, presumably because of the contract between Curious Labs and the distributer. It's unfortunate for Curious Labs, Kupa, Starlet and Co that because they are so approachable and ready to answer questions that they get so much flack from us! Still it looks like a 100% markup is likely on P5 so we better start saving the pennies guys! Baz

EricofSD ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 9:06 PM

You do have to use caution on ebay. If its still in the box, wrapped, unopened, complete, etc, that's good. Watch out for the ones that are opened, or worse yet, tell you that you are buying the manual and at no additional cost a CD will be included. I won't bid unless the box is unopened and wrapped and the seller guarantees that its original and unregistered. But there are some folks who win software in a door prize and dump it so its not entirely a warez place. If you ever do get warez, ebay will be delighted to suspend the account of the seller.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.